Finally got them

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lilwinno

Finally got them

#1 Post by lilwinno »

Hello, Im 25 yrs old, female that just got her braces on about two weeks ago. =) How exciting! Ive been wanting braces since high school but since I went to a private school my parents couldn't afford another bill in their hands. So I had to wait until I could afford it myself. So here we are.
At first I was really nervous and scared about the whole pain, soreness, and the way its going to look on me. But now Im so glad I finally went through with it.

My first appointment (I was super super nervous) was suppose to be the installing of my spacers only but the scheduler made an error and put me down for banding instead of spacers. When I got to the orthodontist office they gave me the choice of just spacers or both (banding and spacers) so I just went ahead and got both done. I got ceramic top and bottom. It was nerve-wracking sitting in the chair and getting on your brackets put on and you cant even see them until they are done. The whole banding and getting spacers put on took about almost two hours, which was not bad I thought. Feeling your braces for the first time was scarry but you get over it after awhile. Then you will keeping looking at your teeth. haha. Some people said that it feels like you have to keep puckering up your lips but I didnt experience that I guess since my lips are so big. Lol. That afternoon, my mouth was not really sore yet but you will have that feeling like your mouth is full. Go for something cold (milkshakes, soft served ice cream, starbucks) after you get your braces done. It will make your mouth feel better.

The second day after I got my braces put on was prolly the day that my mouth was starting to hurt and sore. I also got cuts on my cheeks and upper lip where it was rubbing the brackets. The first few days after installing was probably the worst out of the whole thing specially having both brackets and spacers in at the same time. My suggestion on making your mouth feels better is lots and lots of milkshakes. I think I've had atleast 10 that first week.... This past monday I had to go back to the orthodontist for an emergyncy appointment since I ended up biting my back bracket off over the weekend. They glued it back and also ended up taking my spacers out and installing the bands (silver bands that goes around your teeth) on two upper teeth. They also repositioned one of my brackets and installed a thicker wire and spring. My teeth now are a lil sore and tight since they changed the wire hopefully it will start feeling better and I will see some changes. I will deffinitely keep updating this and maybe post come pictures up of the progress. Thank you for reading. =)

Robot Teeth

Re: Finally got them

#2 Post by Robot Teeth »

Interesting!

I'm glad to hear another account of it only taking a few days to get over the worst of it. I'm hoping that I don't have any annoying pain by my birthday, which will be three weeks after my brace day (july 12th).

I know I'm going to be half nervous and half excited. I already am!

I love how everyone on here is a huge advocate of milkshakes! I happen to make a pretty bad-ass smoothie... Looking forward to perfecting a chili recipe as well during my time with braces! I just had a(nother) steak tonight. I figure I'll just go ahead and overdo it while I can.

secretsmile

#3 Post by secretsmile »

Hi Lilwinno... Congrats on getting braced! Your story sounds like mine! Two weeks ago... I got ceramic top and bottom and spacers at the same time (ortho had been on vacay)... Then went back the next week and got molar bands... Good luck and yay to our future great smiles! :D
Extractions (4 bicuspids) : 05/17/11
Braced (all but top molars) : 05/24/11
Top 1st Molars bracketed: 05/31/11
Forsus (Braces Springs): 10/18/11

My blog: http://marie-secretsmile.blogspot.com/

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=39420

kaylaa

#4 Post by kaylaa »

Woo hooo! That's very exciting! Soon you will be 10 months in like me ;). Really though, time goes by so fast. If you do have any pain, as crazy as it sounds, chew sugar fee gum. It helps with the blood flow and will get rid of soreness. Also, it's handy to make up a little braces kit that you can take around In your purse. Good luck in your braces journey! This board is wonderful for support and advice.

:D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lilwinno

#5 Post by lilwinno »

Thanks guys... Im super excited! Goodluck with yalls journey also. We are all on our way to have beautiful smiles =)

ladyksilver

#6 Post by ladyksilver »

@kaylaa that's a really good tip. I get braced July 5th and as long as I've been on this site I've never seen this tip. I will stock up on milkshakes & sugar free gum!!