Pain Killers

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kaddessi

Pain Killers

#1 Post by kaddessi »

Has anyone ever asked their orthodontist for a script for a pain killer?

I just got my spacers in yesterday and IB Profuen doesn't help as much as I need. I work the front desk and scheduling desk at a medical office and I talk ALL day. I have some percocet left from my extractions surgery 3 weeks ago and took half of one yesterday and the other half today but I only have 2 left. I get braced on Monday so I'm trying to save them for then! I've had coworkers to tell me just ask, the worse they can do is say no, but I've never asked a doc for pain killers before. I feel like a junkie even thinking about asking!

catgyrl

Re: Pain Killers

#2 Post by catgyrl »

I highly doubt your orthodontist will prescribe painkillers for you. Shoot, my oral surgeon wouldn't even prescribe anything for me when he pulled my damn premolar! :x He told me to take a tylenol or ibuprofen. Then when I was filling out my ortho paperwork, they had one question on there asking if i had a propensity for taking painkillers when coming in for appointments. I thought it was such a strange question, and cracked up laughing. But I guess they've had patients like that.

If you feel the need for painkillers already...before you're even in braces...you may have a difficult time with your braces. I'd hate for you to be doped up off and on for the next two years. Of course it wouldn't hurt to ask, but don't be surprised if he says no. I've found taking ibuprofen an hour or so before an appointment... And even after, if necessary, helps a lot.

Good luck!
Cathy

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

Unless you have a problem with medications, most people can take up to 4 ibuprofen every 6 to 8 hours. If that doesn't do it for you, you can also take two Tylenol about 4 hours after taking the ibuprofen. The combination of the two usually knocks out pain pretty well. Do not take them at the exact same time, because it will turn your stomach to knots. And make sure to always take these types of medications with food.

I know this from experience with severe chronic back pain.

If you're not sure about it, talk to your regular medical doctor first, especially if you take any medications or supplements that thin your blood.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

kaddessi

#4 Post by kaddessi »

Thanks for the replys! The pain was much better today and IB Profuen worked. I take 3 every 3 hours!

Snowglobe32

#5 Post by Snowglobe32 »

In my 20+ months in braces, I have never needed anything stronger than over the counter medicine. I know pain tolerance levels vary among people, but I don't think prescription pain killers are needed (maybe with multiple extractions). I have found that a heating pad and motrin work really well to lessen pain.

Try a heating pad, see if that works.I like the kind that is filled with treated corn or beans and you heat in the microwave. I don't think on brace day you will have extreme pain. Maybe after an adjustment, or first time wearing elastics, powerchains...etc. I have heard that spacers are painful but it is almost Monday- it will be over soon! :)

Good Luck!

Crazy4Snow

#6 Post by Crazy4Snow »

One word...Vicodin. I had some because I have RA and it really helped during that 1st week with braces. But haven't needed any since. :)

Tylenol and Ibuprofen....like taking candy...no help at all.

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13

kaddessi

#7 Post by kaddessi »

Crazy4Snow wrote:One word...Vicodin. I had some because I have RA and it really helped during that 1st week with braces. But haven't needed any since. :)

Tylenol and Ibuprofen....like taking candy...no help at all.

I'm glad you shared this! Everyone else was making me feel like a wimp. I'm better today, everyday I'm taking less IB Profuen. Less than 3 days and I'll be braced!

secretsmile

#8 Post by secretsmile »

Kadessi, my first day of braces and spacers combination... wow... pain so bad it wouldn't respond to ibuprofen or tylenol...

I never filled my prescriptions for pain killers for neither my impacted wisdom teeth nor pre molars but wow I wished I had pain killers that day...

But hang in there - it gets better. :)

Also a tip i've heard since which you might want to use when you get your braces... Take an ibuprofen one hour before your apt... Apparently it's easier to prevent pain that get rid of it...
Extractions (4 bicuspids) : 05/17/11
Braced (all but top molars) : 05/24/11
Top 1st Molars bracketed: 05/31/11
Forsus (Braces Springs): 10/18/11

My blog: http://marie-secretsmile.blogspot.com/

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=39420

Crazy4Snow

#9 Post by Crazy4Snow »

Yes I agree...before you go for your first adjustment...take something...I did and even though it was quite painful during I think it would have been a lot worse had I not taken anything.

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13