what is the difference between white braces and ceramic one?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

quiggle

what is the difference between white braces and ceramic one?

#1 Post by quiggle »

Are white colored braces and ceramic ones the same, just names interchanged or are there metal ones that are colored white? I have a friend who said he is getting fitted for what his orthodontist called white braces, but when I asked aren't those the clear ceramic ones he said no, they are white colored. thanks!

catgyrl

Re: what is the difference between white braces and ceramic

#2 Post by catgyrl »

I've never heard of white braces. I wonder if her ortho is referring to something like Radiance, Sapphire or Ice brackets, which are another form of ceramic brackets, and are pretty much clear with no color, and not the slightly off-yellow-ish color of some ceramic brackets. I have Radiance brackets on top, and metal ones on the bottom. I LOOOOOVE my Radiance brackets. I had metal in the beginning, but changed them a few months in), and when I got the new ones most of my coworkers thought I'd removed my braces and was now wearing a retainer because all they saw was the wire.

Anyway, I hope this helps...

quiggle

#3 Post by quiggle »

it does, thank you catgyrl! I was also looking this up on line and pretty much says the same thing that you mentioned, so it looks like my friend might have been misinformed. also is it true that it's not recommended to get ceramic both top and bottom, that one should side should be metal because teeth can break if bitten onto the ceramic?

catgyrl

#4 Post by catgyrl »

quiggle wrote:it does, thank you catgyrl! I was also looking this up on line and pretty much says the same thing that you mentioned, so it looks like my friend might have been misinformed. also is it true that it's not recommended to get ceramic both top and bottom, that one should side should be metal because teeth can break if bitten onto the ceramic?
I do believe this is true, especially if you are dealing with an overbite (where your upper teeth cover your lower teeth when you bite down). Ceramic brackets are VERY strong, and can actually chip your upper teeth if you bite down too hard and hit the brackets. That's one of the big reasons that people who opt for ceramic brackets only get them on top. One other reason is that when most people smile normally (not the "cheesy grin"), their lower teeth don't show, anyway, so it's no big deal if those brackets are metal.

That said, it's pretty much up to the orthodontist. If they're treating you for other reasons, and that won't be an issue, they probably wouldn't mind doing all ceramic. I've seen people on here with both upper and lower ceramic.

drgnchsr36

#5 Post by drgnchsr36 »

catgyrl wrote:
quiggle wrote:it does, thank you catgyrl! I was also looking this up on line and pretty much says the same thing that you mentioned, so it looks like my friend might have been misinformed. also is it true that it's not recommended to get ceramic both top and bottom, that one should side should be metal because teeth can break if bitten onto the ceramic?
I do believe this is true, especially if you are dealing with an overbite (where your upper teeth cover your lower teeth when you bite down). Ceramic brackets are VERY strong, and can actually chip your upper teeth if you bite down too hard and hit the brackets. That's one of the big reasons that people who opt for ceramic brackets only get them on top. One other reason is that when most people smile normally (not the "cheesy grin"), their lower teeth don't show, anyway, so it's no big deal if those brackets are metal.

That said, it's pretty much up to the orthodontist. If they're treating you for other reasons, and that won't be an issue, they probably wouldn't mind doing all ceramic. I've seen people on here with both upper and lower ceramic.
Pretty much what catgyrl said.. I couldn't get ceramic since I have a deep bite, but I have a friend who is dealing with cross bite issue..and they were able to get ceramic just fine! Let me tell you, I'm jealous :p