Something I've learned from wearing braces....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TinySmiley

Something I've learned from wearing braces....

#1 Post by TinySmiley »

That most people don't care that I'm wearing braces and IF they do care, they are interested and admire me for being brave enough to wear braces as an adult and fix my teeth.

One of the big things I was worried about before I got braces is that everyone would notice and stare or laugh. I now am wearing ceramic braces, and although they are not as noticable as metal braces, people are still noticing them. And when they do, they are interested and ask questions, or wish they had gotten braces too. I have not yet met anyone who has been unsupportive or rude about it.

But if you really want the 'self-conscious' part of it out of the way, then just be upfront and tell people when you first get them on. I did that at my work and, honestly, it was really great because they did not stare at my mouth all the time and when I spoke or laughed, I didn't have to feel self-conscious about it because I knew, that they knew I was wearing braces; I was very open about it.

I don't know if everyone's experience has been this positive (I hope it has :wink: ), just thought I'd like to share my experience, because if you are an adult considering getting braces, I know that's what many adults worry about.
:)
Invisalign: September 2009-May 2011
Ceramic Braces: May 2011-December 2011

Iam918

Re: Something I've learned from wearing braces....

#2 Post by Iam918 »

Great post!

I've only had one person comment negatively about my braces (full metal, top/bottom). But she's a b***h anyways, so I didn't take it personal. A few people did say that, since my front brackets are closer to the gum line, it was hard to notice I have braces until I gave a bigger than normal smile. I've never liked to give more than a half-assed mischievous type grin anyways but since getting braced I've found myself giving bigger, more genuine smiles.

Prior to getting my braces I thought I'd be self conscious/ embarrassed about them but that has not been the case. Since after the first ~week of having braces I can honestly say I don't care what others think about me having braces. I'm not even a tiny bit hesitant about giving a big grin when someone can make me smile or laugh.
First time in braces @ 34
Braced: March 24, 2011
Estimated completion time: 30 mo's
May 19, 2011 - Oral Surgery to remove:
3 Wisdom Teeth, 1 Broken Molar & 1 Baby Canine tooth; plus expose & chain Impacted canine

Foxsong

#3 Post by Foxsong »

That's what it's been like for me, too! Everyone who comments on them is excited and/or happy for me. I haven't had a single negative experience yet. I've even given out my ortho's card to people who ask for it because they think my teeth look so much better already and they are interested in getting their own teeth fixed. I'm happy to spread the love. :-*
Braced on 4-11-11
Progress pics: http://www.photobucket.com/bracesprogress

klobird

#4 Post by klobird »

I told everyone that I was getting braces before I did...They were so used to the idea that it was not really that much fun showing them off!! I looovvvveeee having braces and I show them to everybody!! I have not had one bad comment. When I go to the ortho, there are plenty of adults also, but it doesn't even seem to phase the kids! And I'm 55!!

Jenn B

#5 Post by Jenn B »

I also told everyone at work that I was getting braces. I was so excited! The only self conscious part of my whole process was the extractions and going to work without braces on but with this gappy smile. I had 2 weeks of that but once I got my braces on I was all smiles. A lady I work with asked, "When did you get braces?" I told her 2 1/2 weeks again and her reply was "good for you. You need to do some things for yourself when you're an adult" I think she is right! I don't blame my parents for not being able to afford braces for me as a child and I am extremely happy I am doing something for myself that I always wanted! :)

goodbyeforever

#6 Post by goodbyeforever »

This is really encouraging! I've yet to get mine and all I can think is how people are going to stare all the time. It's nice to know that might not be the case :)

karina

#7 Post by karina »

When I first got my braces put on I was so self conscious with the way I spoke and ate, I swear I would have looked like a rocket scientist worrying I will break the bracket, so eating tiny pieces and now I am able to munch into biscuits and chocolates. Haha. At first we think the brackets are sensitive but learn they are quite strong.

karina

#8 Post by karina »

lol i didnt realise they cover the word r-etard with "rocket scientist".. Haha funny!

Lynette

#9 Post by Lynette »

My boss didn't even notice I had braces for MONTHS! She only noticed them when I started talking about them and then she was like "Ohh! You have braces! I never noticed" :D

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

TinySmiley

#10 Post by TinySmiley »

it's great reading everyone's stories :)
even tonight, in the ladies room, a woman took out her floss and she seemed a little embarassed to do so, and I was like "good for you for flossing after eating, no need to be embarassed..." and I explained to her that I understand because I'm wearing braces and she's like, "You are??" and we began talking about braces and how she has always wanted braces too. :wink:
Invisalign: September 2009-May 2011
Ceramic Braces: May 2011-December 2011

Mewwie

#11 Post by Mewwie »

I also don't understand why braces get so much stigma, post high school. I got mostly best wishes too, if not being impressed at.

prettyyoungthing

#12 Post by prettyyoungthing »

I have noticed this as well! Before braces I hate drawing attention to my teeth, was so self conscious smiling around people, but then I started telling everyone I was getting braces and I also point them out to people and I've only had positive comments :) I'm actually surprised at how many people have said they had braces too and loved having them, or they love people in braces cos they think they're cute :)

I am smiling a lot more, and my teeth have improved so much already, I am loving the positive feedback.

I definitely recommend anyone thinking about getting them to go ahead with it! It's the best thing I've done for myself, and has honestly not been as bad as I thought :)

braceface2b

#13 Post by braceface2b »

I had a few very close friends (drinking buddies) make a lot of jokes about them when I got them, but it was all in good fun.

All of my co-workers that have actually said anything have been very positive.

tarabears

#14 Post by tarabears »

When I first went in for my consultation with my ortho, I was almost in the mindset of, "If I'm not qualified for Invisalign, I'm not going to go through with it because I don't want people to know I'm wearing braces." My orthodontist quickly changed my mind. She was extremely professional and friendly and explained to me how the whole process worked which made feel comfortable and excited about straightening my teeth and bite. I was no longer so vain about how I looked and more pumped to be finally fixing my teeth!

When I get them on next Tuesday I'm probably going to start off with less-noticeable colors on my elastics until I feel more comfortable with them, then I decided I want to try out a whole array of different color combinations. I figured if I'm going to have these babies on for 2 years, I might as well have fun with them!

chainreaction

#15 Post by chainreaction »

Before i got my braces I was sooo worried about what people would say and think ..the reality is that almost noone even notices ...I used to NOT smile because of how my teeth looked before...but ever since I got my braces I smile a lot more ..(its only been 2 1/2 months) :D