Elastics and powerchains...what next?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

impatientpatient

Elastics and powerchains...what next?

#1 Post by impatientpatient »

I had my second adjustment last week. The ortho seemed a bit rushed so I didn't get the chance to ask him many questions, so I thought I would ask the board.
I got another powerchain on top and he said I am now on "the strongest wire" for both top and bottom. I have to wear elastics at all times, except when brushing. I have only been in braces 3 months....any ideas what to expect next or how long treatment takes with the elastics? Are there different "strengths" of elastics?
Any opinions greatly appreciated! :D :D

Snowglobe32

Re: Elastics and powerchains...what next?

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

There are different types of elastics (some have animal names, some have countries) and different strengths. Depending on what issue you are trying to fix, you may wear one or more configurations.

Some people wear elastics from the start, others here and there, some just at the end. I am almost 21 months in and I have worn elastics 3 different times. Once at 12 months, another around 18 months...and then again for the last 2 months.

Elastics have been the worst part of braces for me.

impatientpatient

#3 Post by impatientpatient »

Thanks. Wow! Different configurations of elastics?! So many things to know. :D

Some days I wish I hadn't bothered starting this journey at all. The braces are bad but the elastics make everything more obvious (I think!)
I had hoped that elastics would mean I would be seeing the finish line (even if a long way off!) as my teeth seem to be pretty straight now. The ortho was talking about moving my teeth around some so I guess its all about that now.

musiclady2340

#4 Post by musiclady2340 »

My experience has been elastics off and on. I've only had two strengths..using Thailand right now. The first time I had them it was hared to get used to them. This time it is a piece of cake. My worst thing is the TPA Bar. Yuck. :tingrin:

Chaplains Assistant

#5 Post by Chaplains Assistant »

I've had elastics since February and I had only been in my braces 6 months at that point. I will be at the year mark in August. When I had my last adjustment I asked how much longer I'd be in elastics 23 hours a day and orthos response was would you rather have headgear. The tech laughed and then said usually he does them for 6 months but my gap from extraction is no where near closed yet. I am in class III elastics and they are called "Debbie" heavy 1/8" (3.2mm) made by 3M. So far mine have been one configuration from my far back bottom molar band to the upper canine on both sides. They are hard to get used to and some days they give me headaches but I can see the difference everyday.

Good luck!

Renee
Sentenced to 24 months
Upper & lower Metals
Braced on 8/23/2010
Debraced 7/23/12

sadpanda

#6 Post by sadpanda »

I've been wearing Class II elastics for a few months and I've had my braces nearly a year. I've had the same configuration the whole time - each band connected from the canine on top to the furthest molar on the bottom on both sides. I've also had upper and lower powerchains the whole time. I've adjusted to the powerchains and elastics really well. I think colored powerchains look pretty cool too. I was expecting pain when wearing the elastics, but I can't really tell that they're in my mouth and often forget that they're there when I have a main meal. I take them out to eat as long as I have the elastics in at least 20 out of 24 hours. They've worked pretty fast. I can see a real difference in my deep overbite getting corrected and my noticeable overjet has gotten so much smaller. I'm not sure what happens from here, but I rarely experience pain and think it's fun having braces on. I also noticed that the powerchains have cut down on the friction of the metal brackets against my cheeks and lips. I used to wear silicone wax nearly everyday because my braces poked and cut me, but now I only sometimes have problems with the bottom four brackets in the front making sores. It's nice to know that one thing is going well in my life because I'm so used to a lot of bad luck and constant problems. :BigGrin: