The journey begins... got my spacers!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sweetembraceable

The journey begins... got my spacers!

#1 Post by sweetembraceable »

I finally got my spacers today (Around my first upper molars.) They don't hurt... yet. Just feels chewy and weird, like food stuck in my teeth. I'm getting fitted for a TPA July 5th and then he's putting it in July 21st. But question[s]: Are these spacers just for the fitting? Will the space created stay until I get the TPA or is he going to just put the bands on the 5th too? Or am I going to wear spacers again?

He was very busy and I didn't get a chance to bombard him with questions. :oops:

Roboto

Re: The journey begins... got my spacers!

#2 Post by Roboto »

It depends on how tight the contact is between your teeth. The spacers are forcing your teeth apart so that there's enough room for the TPA to fit when they install it. For me, I had spacers for about 5 or 6 days and then had an appointment to fit my molar bands. It was pretty obvious that the spacers hadn't been in long enough and they needed to create more space so they put the spacers back in until my next appointment when they put the molar bands in (which was like 3 weeks or so). So.. to answer your question.. it depends on whether or not the space is big enough for your TPA. I imagine they'll put spacers in again though to make sure the space stays wide enough for your appliance. They're a pain in the butt, but the bright side is that they'll eventually be out! lol

Good luck!

sweetembraceable

Re: The journey begins... got my spacers!

#3 Post by sweetembraceable »

Thank you. They're giving me a bit of a headache (I think they're causing it, anyway.) My teeth are okay so far, thankfully. Knock wood! They are a pain. I'm tired of them, but I'm okay. I hope the TPA doesn't drive me too crazy. But I'm very excited to have straight teeth in the near future.