Unexpected upsides to braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Blackbeltfundraiser

Unexpected upsides to braces

#1 Post by Blackbeltfundraiser »

Besides straighter teeth eventually.

..... I've lost 7 pounds.
..... I've stopped biting my nails! (probably because I can't but I've tried and tried and tried and couldn't quit before :-)

What're your experiences?

Snowglobe32

Re: Unexpected upsides to braces

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

25-30 lbs and kept it off! I :heart: my braces!

sweetembraceable

#3 Post by sweetembraceable »

Weight loss. I have spacers and I can't chew anything crunchy or chewy. An almond was like a rock in my mouth. Tortilla chips = trying to crunch drywall. Tasty drywall though! :lol: :(

Huggypillow

#4 Post by Huggypillow »

Yep

iv'e lost a few kilo's and no i can't bite my nails either, i was a really bad nail biter for a long time, and i can't bite them at all.

it drove me crazy for the first few weeks now thanks to braces im a reformed nail biter.... i now have long nails..... who would have thought.

kennyandrew85

#5 Post by kennyandrew85 »

lost a lot of weight also! I think that's one of the reasons a lot of people claim to have a thin face after extractions. Most of it is down to weight loss! I am using this time to get in the gym and do some lifting and drinking lots of protein shakes, mmmmm
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

ashesgap

#6 Post by ashesgap »

I've quit drinking sodas in an effort to figure out what the heck is causing stains. Now after a cup or two of coffee in the morning I drink water all day. Now I'm sure coffee stains too, but I can't give up all my caffeine.....I'd be a walking zombie.
I've also stopped opening bags and stuff with my teeth. I'm not sure of the benefits of that yet, but I'm sure my teeth appreciate it.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

klobird

#7 Post by klobird »

I've gained 7lbs!!---I never used to drink milkshakes and had so much pudding and ice cream and soft desserts!!--I'm eating them because they're easy and filling and I think because I'm panicking at what awful appliance I will get that will make it impossible to eat--but probably exactly what I need!!

Rach44

#8 Post by Rach44 »

I've lost a bit of weight also! However, I find it very difficult to maintain a healthy diet. I am/was a big vegetable eater, but now I can eat very few raw vegetables (carrots, celery, broccoli are all too hard/difficult to eat). I can still eat these things steamed, but I miss most raw vegetables. :( I definitely hear klobird on eating/drinking more dessert type stuff so I'm surprised I've actually lost and not gained. I won't complain though because braces are definitely awesome at preventing excessive snacking when you don't want to brush a million times a day.

Estimated Treatment Time: 30 Months

Snowglobe32

#9 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Rach44- have you tried a buying a chopper? I have found that I can still eat raw vegetables if they are chopped up. I have been successful with carrots, broccoli, cauliflower...

kaddessi

#10 Post by kaddessi »

Stopped biting my nails but haven't lost any weight. I haven't figured out how to eat fruit and vegatables yet without putting them in the blender. I was able to eat some grapes twice last weekend and then my teeth starting hurting.

sea54change

#11 Post by sea54change »

I lost over 5 lbs during the first 2 months with braces. I felt so healthy.
Now, after 11 months, I've gained it all back. :(

However I go to the ortho on the 19th for an adjustment and will probably be in lots of pain. Even after 11 months of braces and otho appts., I never remember to pack my bottle of Advil in my briefcase on days I have an ortho appt. Must be my elderly age kicking in. :)
Bottom braces: 9-1-10
Top Braces: 12-1-10, enamel
Debrace date:Top 12-12-11
Bottom: 1-5-2012

Rach44

#12 Post by Rach44 »

Snowglobe32 wrote:Rach44- have you tried a buying a chopper? I have found that I can still eat raw vegetables if they are chopped up. I have been successful with carrots, broccoli, cauliflower...
I hadn't thought of that, but that's a really great idea! Thanks for the suggestion. :) I've been eating shredded carrots (the kind you would normally put in a salad) but I hadn't found a way to eat broccoli or celery raw yet. I'm definitely going to look into that.

Another upside to braces for me: confidence! Most people say braces make you more self-conscious, but I'm finally not afraid to smile huge or laugh with my teeth showing because they're not the crooked mess they used to be. :mrgreen:

Estimated Treatment Time: 30 Months

laura5535

#13 Post by laura5535 »

I've had braces for seven weeks now and I've lost 5 pounds. I also miss not eating vegetables and some fruits but have found that I can somewhat get all that stuff in with V8 juice -- vegetable and fruit. Try it -- hope that helps.

drop

#14 Post by drop »

i hope i'll also lose some weight because of braces :)

Green~Tara

#15 Post by Green~Tara »

I'm not losing - in fact I've gone up a few pounds. Eating more softer, starchier foods and less raw fruits and veggies which were my mainstay pre-braces.

I don't have a problem with tortilla chips, unfortunately. After the first two weeks of hellish pain I shovel them in just fine and dandy though it's not a pretty sight to behold!