Sure Smile vs. regular braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

balniusc

Sure Smile vs. regular braces?

#1 Post by balniusc »

Hi all.
As I'm nearing the end of my braces journey, my husband has expressed interest in getting his teeth fixed as well. The thing is he's only interested in straitening his teeth and not fixing his bite. Has anyone gotten quotes from both a traditional ortho as well as a 6 month braces ortho? If so, was there a huge difference in cost?

Snowglobe32

Re: Sure Smile vs. regular braces?

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Hi,

Sure Smile is not the same as 6 month braces. Sure Smile consists of wires made by a robot vs. regular wires. SS wires can cut down the time one needs to wear braces because the wires are made just for you. (I am in SS wires now.)

6 month braces, I believe, is typically used when there are no bite issues. In my opinion, if you don't fix the bite, you will have problems down the road. You might as well do it right the first time.

tarabears

#3 Post by tarabears »

My orthodontist offers SureSmile too, but she said she would discuss the details of the process and cost a little further in my treatment (I just got my braces on the other day). Don't quote me on it, but from what I gathered online it sounds like SureSmile would cost approximately 10% extra of the total treatment amount. Personally, I think I'm just going to go with the conventional treatment since the time doesn't really bother me but spending an extra 600+ will :P
Tara, 25 yrs old.
Braced 07/19/11. Ceramic uppers, metal lowers.

balniusc

#4 Post by balniusc »

Thanks for the replies.

I agree that hubby would be better off if he corrected his bite as well. He has an anterior open bite (among other issues) which makes eating a bit challenging. (How do you eat a sandwich when you can't bite down? ) But I'm thinking that the overall cost of the tx plan (which may or may not include surgery) combined with the length of treatment may scare him away. I've suggested he go to a few orthos to get some quotes, but no luck yet.

I may drag him to one for my sake. Not knowing is driving ME crazy :P