TPA alternatives

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sweetembraceable

TPA alternatives

#1 Post by sweetembraceable »

I'm just wondering, are there alternatives to the TPA? I'm not too thrilled about my ortho's decisions to use it. (In addition to getting 3 premolars out.) What if I am in braces and along in treatment, can I do something to achieve the anchorage and arch shape without the TPA?

I love my teeth

Re: TPA alternatives

#2 Post by I love my teeth »

The tpa was not really that big of a deal.....I had one with a nance button for 3 months, then just the tpa alone for about 4-5months after that. Just another phase of treatment that you get used to.
Wore Braces for 2 years, 5 months, 3 days

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

sweetembraceable

#3 Post by sweetembraceable »

I got it today. I was gaggy for a bit. It feels a bit better now. No pain, though.

I hope you're right!

Jenn B

#4 Post by Jenn B »

I have a TPA and an LLA :| It took a bit to get used to not being able to touch the roof of my my mouth and talking with a HUGE lisp but now I don't even realize they are there. I've had mine in for over 2 months now.

sweetembraceable

#5 Post by sweetembraceable »

Two months eh? Is your lisp still there? I have a lisp and I really want to take this thing out. I am a teacher and talking like this is difficult. And my tongue is Charley horsed from trying to maneuver my new oral landscape. Ugh. I really want to see if there's another option to maintain the arch and provide anchorage. :(

sweetembraceable

#6 Post by sweetembraceable »

I've noticed my main issue is my tongue is always tense because it's not used to the TPA. I used to clench my jaw and now with this thing, I don't so I have all this tension that's making my tongue tense up. And trying to talk with a tense tongue is making me sound ridiculous. Ugh. I can't relax my jaw/tongue. :(

Jenn B

#7 Post by Jenn B »

My lisp disappeared within a week or two! It just takes your tongue a little bit of time to get used to it. Before long you won't even notice it anymore! :)

sweetembraceable

#8 Post by sweetembraceable »

Thanks, Jenn. I am trying to tough it out! :)