Flossing with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sds4h

Re: Flossing with braces

#16 Post by sds4h »

Glide floss is amazing! Before I had braces I would never floss because every floss I tried I physically could not get between my teeth. My dentist gave me a sample of Glide and I was in love and started flossing everyday. Now with braces I usually floss twice a day (after lunch and before bed) and the glide precuts with the threader end are AWESOME! I tried using the plastic floss threaders but I kept dropping them on the floor.. I woud probably go through 2 or 3 each time I flossed because I kept dropping them. Also I had a few pieces of glide shred when I first got my braces on... but I haven't had a problem since!

bracketeer

#17 Post by bracketeer »

xGa12yx wrote:Flossing was one thing I hated most about having braces. It just takes forever. But, a week into my braces treatment my friend that also had braces recommended that I get a Water Flosser by WaterPik. It's about $50 and I can say it's so worth it. They have a special attachment for braces and it cleans your brackets really well and I use the Classic Jet tip for my gumline. According to the manufacturer is that its 3x more effective than regular flosisng. I seriously love my waterpik... it's so much easier to floss and you also save so much time! It takes about a minute to floss both upper and lower. You should really look into getting one. You'll thank me later. HEHE.

Oooh, thank you for recommending this! I'm going to get one :tingrin:
Embraced in a heavy metal romance with Damon since 8/10/11. This affair is destined to last at least 12 months : )

Doubledice

#18 Post by Doubledice »

Mine also got stuck between my teeth so i technically didn't floss for 6 weeks before the troubles started :( no matter how hard you think it is to get between the teeth do it, make the floss as thin as possible otherwise your gums will hurt so bad :(

Robot Teeth

#19 Post by Robot Teeth »

bbsadmin wrote:Try either Glide Threader Floss or Plackers OrthoPick Flossers. Both are available at DentaKit.com.
Thumbs down on the Orthopick Flossers! They're little bracket-popping levers! I had high hopes for them, but I popped a bracket using these on the first try.

methoddan

#20 Post by methoddan »

I am going to try the Crest Glide floss as my front lowers are very tight.

AM21

#21 Post by AM21 »

methoddan wrote:I am going to try the Crest Glide floss as my front lowers are very tight.
It works really well! You'll like it! :)
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

tarabears

#22 Post by tarabears »

I actually buy a whole bunch of floss threaders and just tie regular floss to them. It's a whole lot cheaper than buying specialty floss and it works just as well.
Tara, 25 yrs old.
Braced 07/19/11. Ceramic uppers, metal lowers.

methoddan

#23 Post by methoddan »

The Glide floss is awesome. It was much easier than the Superfloss, much more durable and had a better flavor. I had no problems at all with any tight teeth. Taking the new box of 50 Superfloss back to the store for more Glide floss. Thanks everyone! :D
Braces on August 9, 2011
Braces off November 30, 2012

My braces story take #2

belistic10

#24 Post by belistic10 »

ok i need to find me some of this crest glide floss :( i am in alot of pain trying to floss. i rang the ortho and they said i can leave it for a fewdays and just keep up good brushing in the meantime as my teeth are so tender. especially the lower crowded ones are sore and i can never get between them and some at the top i just cannot even get the floss in and then it keeps getting stuck and i panic trying to get it out :(

AM21

#25 Post by AM21 »

belistic10: I don't know if the floss' name has changed in Australia, but in America, the floss is no longer Crest Glide. It's Oral B. Still the exact same floss but just different name.
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

bbsadmin

#26 Post by bbsadmin »

Regarding those "spam" word substitutions in an earlier post.....we previously have gotten many spam messages on this board hawking all brands of phones. So to discourage those people from posting, I took a bunch of brands and changed their names to different variations of the word "spam." As you can see, I had some fun with it! :crazy:
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

belistic10

#27 Post by belistic10 »

:lol: those spam words were hilarious. hmm i will have a search for an oral b type floss. i did see some in the supermarket that was a tape and it said something like satin glide floss tape or something. might just have to try different ones till i find one that works for me

GeenBug

#28 Post by GeenBug »

I came across Oral B's Glide Pro-Health floss about a month ago. It's the best floss I've ever used.

Braced: June 24, 2010.

belistic10

#29 Post by belistic10 »

oh i will look for that one then!! i need something smaller that can get between my teeth as some are so tight together it keeps getting stuck :? and because i havent really flossed before :oops: i am finding it very tough going. plus i still cant even do it yet due to the pain