Bicuspid extraction experiences

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mauvaise

Bicuspid extraction experiences

#1 Post by Mauvaise »

Hello!

I'm new to the boards. I'm 41 and will be getting braced in just over a week. I never had braces as a kid because my mother actually listened to me when I said I didn't want them (thanks, mom!). So I'm doing it now. I love my orthodontist and while I would have preferred metal, he only uses the Innovation-C Ceramic braces. But he does keep colored ligs around for the kids (and the adults that want to act like kids) so I will be able to have some fun there.

I have a very small palette and it was recommended that I get four teeth extracted (1st bicuspids on top, 2nd ones on bottom). The thought of removing four perfectly good teeth on a 'whim' still bothers me, but I did it. I had them removed on the 5th. I haven't had anything harder than mac & cheese since then. I still have stabby pain, mostly in the upper sockets. How long is that supposed to last? My gums around the missing teeth are not in good shape (I think my entire poor mouth is traumatized. I am still doing salt water rinses 3-4 times a day.

What are your experiences with the healing process of bicuspid extraction? How long until you felt you could eat normal(ish) food without risking dry socket? How long until you didn't have near constant pain? Is it normal that the oral surgeon didn't schedule an automatic follow up appointment?

I'm sure I'll have more questions about the actual braces, but right now I'm worried about the gaping holes in my mouth. ;)

TumbleDryLow

Re: Bicuspid extraction experiences

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I also have a very small palate and had the same 4 bicuspids as you removed. And I know that stabby pain you are talking about. I had it too. It's been awhile since I had my bicuspids out but I think it lasted at least a week for me. The first few days after the extractions it was really bad. It actually kept me up at night. My oral surgeon did not schedule a follow up visit either but I went back after day 3 of near constant pain b/c I was worried about it. (I had my wisdom teeth out several years before having my bicuspids out. I didn't have that kind of pain then.) The surgeon poked around and said all was fine--that I was healing well. So unfortunately this lasting pain is just something some of us get to deal with.

As for eating, try being a bit more adventurous each day; add harder foods. Just chew slowly and/or cut things up really small. Even if you hit the extraction site while eating (I did), while it will hurt, the clot can handle some minor trauma.

You should feel much better, actually near to normal, in about week.

CountessDeSangre

#3 Post by CountessDeSangre »

I had 4 first premolars taken out for my braces, the upper two first, and then two weeks later the lower two followed. Each time I was in pain for about a week following the procedures and I took some Over the counter pain meds when it got too much. I did the salt rinses and everything. While I was told that I would be able to eat solid food again by the end of the first week following the procedure I was too afraid and waited until the second week. And even then it took me a very very long time to chew and swallow because I was afraid something would get stuck in the holes.

I didn't have a follow up appointment but when I saw my ortho for my next scheduled visit (one week after the second pair of extractions and three weeks after the first pair) she looked at me and said that they were healing very well. Surprise, surprise I thought something was wrong because the extraction sites were still so red and angry looking!

Just hang in there and have a lot of soft things that don't really need chewing. Smoothies, shakes, I became best friends with Ensure's chocolate drinks.

My Blog: http://metalmouthmisfit.blogspot.com/

Mauvaise

#4 Post by Mauvaise »

Yeah, I haven't had anything harder than mac & cheese, and even that I eat one noodle at a time and only with my front teeth because I'm too afraid of stuff getting in the holes. I'm sooooo hungry.

I do have a follow up this afternoon. I called this morning and asked if I was supposed to have one and when they said no, not unless I had problems. I explained what was going on and asked if it was normal, they said it more than likely was, but since it's been a week, they would feel more comfortable if I had it looked at.

CountessDeSangre

#5 Post by CountessDeSangre »

Mauvaise wrote:Yeah, I haven't had anything harder than mac & cheese, and even that I eat one noodle at a time and only with my front teeth because I'm too afraid of stuff getting in the holes. I'm sooooo hungry.

I do have a follow up this afternoon. I called this morning and asked if I was supposed to have one and when they said no, not unless I had problems. I explained what was going on and asked if it was normal, they said it more than likely was, but since it's been a week, they would feel more comfortable if I had it looked at.
Oooh I remember that feeling. I don't miss it. I'm sure you can eat regular food. Just take it slow. I remember my first meal took about an hour. It was steamed salmon fillet, steamed spinach, and rice. It was cold by the time I was done but it felt so good to have an actual meal again. I had a lot of the Chef Boyardee spaghetti and meatballs back then, they were the perfect consistency for me. Make it small enough and you don't even need to chew!

Good luck on your follow up! Let us know how it goes!

My Blog: http://metalmouthmisfit.blogspot.com/

tarabears

#6 Post by tarabears »

I had my first upper bicuspids removed on a Tuesday, and by Saturday that same week my boyfriend and I had gone to Atlantic City and I was eating a full buffet lol. I only really had soft foods the first day, then graduated to eating more solid foods as the days went by. You only really need to worry about dry sockets forming within the first couple of days, as that's when the blood clots have formed to cover the open wound. Just take your time, eat slowly, and everything will be fine.
Tara, 25 yrs old.
Braced 07/19/11. Ceramic uppers, metal lowers.

Mauvaise

#7 Post by Mauvaise »

Follow up went well. No dry sockets, no sign of infection, things are healing well. He did say that my one "mistake" was only taking advil on an as needed basis because it doesn't build up in my system and won't really do what it's supposed to do to speed the healing process. He wants me taking 600mg every 6 hours (or 800mg every 8 hours) at least through the weekend. I started that last night and had my best morning so far, though there is still some slight stabby pain on the upper right.

I also made myself eat a more normal meal last night and it went well. I ate slowly because there aren't a lot of teeth back there to chew with and I did have to (gently) flush food out of the sockets afterward (um, ewww). But I ate! Yay, food!

Chiara

#8 Post by Chiara »

I had 4 bicuspids and 2 wisdom teeth removed at the same time about a month before i was braced. i felt the same way you did, i didnt think there were enough teeth back there to eat and i was so scared of food getting in the holes. i lived on cream of chicken soup and ensure protein drinks for about a week and a half. dont starve yourself. the protein drinks are really filling and the chocolate tastes great. theyve gotten me through extractions, spacers, getting my braces put on and adjustments. good luck and welcome to the board
Leforte I maxillary osteo and Genioplasty(Surgery date- June 5, 2013)
[/url]
[/url]

Mauvaise

#9 Post by Mauvaise »

I found the Peanut Butter Moo'd at Jamba Juice was the perfect meal replacement, eaten with a spoon at first, of course.
In full braces for 2 years, 3 weeks, 1 day.

My Saga (Innovation-C upper/lower) here: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=40053

sweetembraceable

#10 Post by sweetembraceable »

I'm getting one removed on top. I have my brackets on and will be archwired after that removal. I was worried, but it's just in the way. Welcome! I, too, wasn't braced as a kid and here I am now.

beccak

#11 Post by beccak »

you should never have had your bicuspids extracted. this is the totally incorrect treatment.

i too had mine extracted as a youth..i wish my parents had asked my opinion..i wish i never had had anything done.

i have had problems rt to this..and as an adult have had the spaces on the top opened back up.
this was done after a surgery..which should have worked perfectly..however..bc the extractions had been done and the palate made more regressed and narrow..i had relapse et.
i am still having issues bc we were not able to reopen space on the lower arch..as i had already had surgery.
i have now had a 2nd surgery. i am some better.

you need to see dr william hang..of westlake village california. he can re open all the extracted space..and re do what should have been done with your mouth..then it is very likely that you need and needed all along..surgery.
most of these cases as adults..are surgically related..and if not caught in childhood and treated properly then..it is most definately a surgical situation.

anyone on this post who has had 4 bicuspid extraction should have the spaces re opened and the correct treatment. they are not treating these cases properly..i know from experience..please..believe me. and learn from my case.

you are all lucky in that as long as you have not yet had a surgery..the spaces can all be re opened..and the palate and teeth pushed out and expanded as should be..and then surgical alignment.

if you do not..you will most definately have sleep apnea develope if you do not already have. you will not like your looks..it will be worse..you will end up with tmj issues..and some of you may have relapse..
i have noticed your photo..your arches are already too narrow..the orthodontist did not help you by making them more narrrow. you upper and lower jaws are most likely underdeveloped.

they are teaching inproperly in the orthodontic schools..and some are still using these out dated methods...
and the orthodontist meant well..but please..!! call dr hang..you are so lucky..he can treat this the proper way..you will be glad.

kennyandrew85

#12 Post by kennyandrew85 »

Becca, you're in the minority, sorry you had to go through what you have but loads of people have had extractions and are absolutely fine. Trying to fix my teeth without extractions would have been impossible. Now please understand... Most people don't end up in your situation, all you're doing is scaring other people already going through this process and perhaps putting people off improving their smile.

Dr William hang will have to hang on before we all book in for consultations.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

kennyandrew85

#13 Post by kennyandrew85 »

It actually annoys me that you dug this post up from August 2011 to say this.

If I had read your post I would almost been too scared to get braces, quite thankful that I didn't read it and had taken the time to research everything and my smile is looking and feeling better every month.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

Domino

#14 Post by Domino »

beccak wrote:you should never have had your bicuspids extracted. this is the totally incorrect treatment.
While I feel for you having the problems that you did, it is not justified for you to be saying this about someone else. Everyone is different, and some people do need extractions; there's no point saying otherwise. And you are also not qualified to be saying what is an incorrect treatment for someone else.

Like kennyandrew said, you're in the minority, and all your post is achieving is scaring others who very likely won't have any issues at all. I frankly find it appalling how you are pressuring Mauvaise (and anyone else in the same situation, myself included) to take drastic action, and outrightly claiming they need this when they don't.
My Story — Braced on 2 March 2012. 4 premolar extractions. Ceramic/clear uppers, metal lowers. Duration of 2 years.
Currently: Third adjustment 19 June (all teeth bracketed!)

anngie27

#15 Post by anngie27 »

I too have had 4 premolar extractions and am upset to see you post something like this. I have already, like so many other people on here, second guessed my decision to go with pulling 4 perfectly healthy teeth. But all in all, I believe it is for the best. Your post brought back some of my fears about pulling those teeth and I think that you need to be more sensitive to other peoples decisions that they have made.