What are your worries with braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

phuongie

What are your worries with braces?

#1 Post by phuongie »

I guess I worry about if I'm brushing my teeth right and I worry about decalcification. What about you?

ArchWired28

Re: What are your worries with braces?

#2 Post by ArchWired28 »

My only real worry is that it is time to take it off, but I am not satisfied with the result. I am only 1.5 months along, though. :)
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

AM21

#3 Post by AM21 »

I'm not really worried about the braces, I'm worried about extractions and how they could possibly change my face. The thought of having a sunken face really scares me. I'm just hoping my face won't change too much.
Last edited by AM21 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

klobird

#4 Post by klobird »

I worry about breaking a bracket or something. My ortho charges $50 for it....

Huggypillow

#5 Post by Huggypillow »

im also worried about those white dots but from what i read from " Dr internet" those seem to happen in people that have very bad or slack oral hygiene.

i think bacteria gave up on me today because i started work at midnight i went to bed at lunchtime heres how my morning went.

get up - brush teeth 8am

felt hungry ate toast - waterpick and brushed teeth

whatching tv - ate a chockie - brushed teeth

went to bed with a coffee- brushed again

felt hungry before going to sleep ate some more- waterpick brushed teeth 12.00

having to brush seems to be a great deterrant for eating sweets.

mbmanes

#6 Post by mbmanes »

I agree with klobird. My biggest worry is popping a bracket off. I'm always afraid of this when I floss. Alot of people use a waterpic. Is that used in place of flossing or do you still need to floss as well?

Snowglobe32

#7 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I had one bracket come loose in 22 months. This bracket was attached to a crown so I don't think it is common for them to pop off if they were bonded correctly.

A Waterpik makes cleaning easier. It is not to be used in place of flossing but I find that waterpiking before flossing helps get the stuff out.

I wouldn't worry about decalification, I think you need to seriously neglect your teeth. Brush at least 3 times a day, floss and get regular check ups and you should be fine.

CountessDeSangre

#8 Post by CountessDeSangre »

Soo many worries where to begin. I'm worried that it's been two months and I haven't seen any progress yet while others have had so much movement it's like their teeth jumped to the new positions. I'm worried that due to the brackets, wires, elastics, and my own crookedness I can't brush my teeth properly and that I'll end up with terrible cavities or decalcification. I'm worried that with 4 extractions I'm not going to like how my face looks when it's all over. I'm worried that some financial disaster will befall me and I won't be able to complete treatment and all this work and money will be for nothing. I'm worried that I won't have a date for the next three years as it was quite difficult to find one BEFORE I had braces. I'm worried that I might get attacked at work and I'll get hit in my mouth and something will break whether it's my appliances or my mouth.

And this is just off the top of my head. :FeelSick:

My Blog: http://metalmouthmisfit.blogspot.com/

bracketeer

#9 Post by bracketeer »

I'm worried about how ugly I feel I look and the t i m e it's going to take for all of this to be over with! +\+
Embraced in a heavy metal romance with Damon since 8/10/11. This affair is destined to last at least 12 months : )

Snowglobe32

#10 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I am worried that some of you folks are worrying too much! :wink:

CountessDeSangre

#11 Post by CountessDeSangre »

Snowglobe32 wrote:I am worried that some of you folks are worrying too much! :wink:
If this were on Facebook I would Like! :lol:

My Blog: http://metalmouthmisfit.blogspot.com/

ashesgap

#12 Post by ashesgap »

CountessDeSangre wrote:
Snowglobe32 wrote:I am worried that some of you folks are worrying too much! :wink:
If this were on Facebook I would Like! :lol:
I was just thinking today we need a little thumbs up thing we can click. Since that's too similar to yahoo, and "liking" is Facebook we should have some funny thing we can do if we like or dislike something. All I can think is for dislike it would be a little headgear symbol...just an idea. :D
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

klobird

#13 Post by klobird »

LOL Countess!! I know--I have had braces 3 1/2 months and see very little progress..no loose teeth...nothing. Ya, I worry about that too---like what I worry about is being in braces for 4yrs or something...

Also, I am just sure that the financial crisis in the USA is going to affect me being able to keep the braces--ya, they'll take them off right when they start moving.... :roll:

ambraced

#14 Post by ambraced »

I really feel anxious while I'm eating food which is a bit hard like pizza as I'm afraid I might break a bracket. I had three brackets breaking during two adjustment visits so I'm being extra careful with what I eat.
Aesthetically my worries are that with my braces I look like Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs even though I have ceramics on top!

sds4h

#15 Post by sds4h »

I'm scared of extractions! I don't know if I will have to have them yet (doc is saying he's trying everything not to). I've only had my braces two weeks and I'm concerned about the shape of my teeth. I have a few they are misshapen from being crowded and everything.. I'm also scared about not brushing good enough but.. not too much.. I have pretty good habits.