Would you ask for a refund?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

centrum

Would you ask for a refund?

#1 Post by centrum »

I just got my braces off last week. During the initial consultation, I was told that the cost of my treatment would be higher than what most people would pay because my expected treatment time would be 30 months instead of 24 months like most people. When I did my research online, I did notice that I paid more than average.

I ended up getting my braces off 4 months sooner than the expected completion date and I talked to the office lady about how I was told during the initial consultation that I was paying more for the longer treatment period and the treatment period wasn't much longer than the "average" treatment time. She asked me if I was asking for something like a partial refund and I said yes. She said she'd talk to the orthodontist and get back to me within a week.

Now, I'm not sure if it was the right move. I mean, I'm satisfied with the result but I just didn't like the fact that I overpaid for something due to the wrong estimated treatment time. Would you have asked for a refund if you were in this situation?

Snowglobe32

Re: Would you ask for a refund?

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I would wait to see what they say when they contact you. If they give you a partial refund, great. If not, I would be happy with my teeth.

I have never heard the price for orthodontics is based on treatment time. I would think it is based on each case individually and how complicated the case may be.

I am glad you are happy with the end result!

ArchWired28

#3 Post by ArchWired28 »

Actually, this seems a bit weird to me, to estimate the treatment cost based on the treatment duration. I always thought the amount of work is important, and if all of that could be accomplished in a shorter time period than estimated previously - good for you!
After all, you have agreed to pay this money for certain treatment, so if the treatment was successful, the deal seems fair to me.

Based on that, if I were you, I would NOT ask for a partial refund - providing that everything was accomplished and I am satisfied with the end result.
However, if you truly feel that you have over-paid, you can try to negotiate some kind of the treatment extra, like additional time for the follow-up, or an extra retainer, or something like that.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

ashesgap

#4 Post by ashesgap »

I think an extra retainer is a great idea. Stash is away for "just in case"
But I think if your treatment cost was based on an amount of time, and you're done in less time, you are owed the remainder.
I'd like to know how it works out for you.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

ashesgap

#5 Post by ashesgap »

I think an extra retainer is a great idea. Stash is away for "just in case"
But I think if your treatment cost was based on an amount of time, and you're done in less time, you are owed the remainder.
I'd like to know how it works out for you.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

DrJasonKTam

#6 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Interesting topic here. There is no harm in asking your doctor, but consider that there are a a few schools of thought.

One of them is that of the previous posters here: If I finish earlier than originally estimated, then I should get money back. Treatment times are based upon the amount of time and work required to get your teeth from point A to point B. There are average times, but these times can vary plus or minus several months. What happens if the treatment goes longer than expected? Would you expect to have to pay more?

Another school of thought is that if treatment can be finished earlier, the orthodontist should actually be paid more. After all, there are many people who would rather finish their treatment faster, and would pay a premium for this.

Still another way fees are charged is on a per visit basis. An orthodontist could easily drag the treatment longer, whereby causing your treatment to finish later.

In our office, we have a preset fee based upon the "average" amount of time it takes for various treatments to be completed. I do not make any adjustments to fees if the treatment finishes early by about 6 months of our original estimate (3 visits as we see patients every 3 months). By the same token, if treatment goes longer, I also do not modify my fees, unless it is due to negligence on the part of our patient.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

sds4h

#7 Post by sds4h »

I would ask for the refund. Even though you are paying for the overall treatment.. to some extent you are also paying per office visit. Since you won't be needed a few of your last office visits I believe it is only fair that you are refunded some amount of money or "free" follow up appoints with the doctor.

I understand that the price covers more than just these office visits but the office visits DO cost something.