Work outing - help?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Shortie93

Work outing - help?

#1 Post by Shortie93 »

Hey :)

I'm going for a work outing on Sunday, but because I booked so late to go I only got on the list because a bloke dropped out. The team is going to Ask! italian and the food has been preordered, so I have to have this guy's food - and he's order lasagne for main. The reason I'm now panicking is because I have six month smile braces, which are tooth coloured/ceramic type braces with clear brackets - and I'm pretty sure pasta sauce will stain them pretty badly?

Has anyone got any suggestions? Would eating it in small bites at the back of my mouth be good enough or is it still going to probably stain/ get onto my visible teeth (sorry if t.m.i)? Or would regularly swilling with water do the trick?

It's probably a silly thing to be so concerned about, but I'm genuinelly worried I'll get a bright red mouth if I even attempt to eat it - heard some horror stories about people with ceramics eating bright foods and having flourescent, orange teeth!!!

Thanks in advance guys :)
Shortie

secretsmile

Re: Work outing - help?

#2 Post by secretsmile »

Awww I sympathise, work outings are worrying with braces. Not sure if it will help with pasta sauce but i've found sipping water helps prevent food staining a lot... At least it stopped me getting red wine stains on my clear brackets. Also definitely carry a dental kit/ cleaning stuff with you. Good luck
Extractions (4 bicuspids) : 05/17/11
Braced (all but top molars) : 05/24/11
Top 1st Molars bracketed: 05/31/11
Forsus (Braces Springs): 10/18/11

My blog: http://marie-secretsmile.blogspot.com/

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=39420

Snowglobe32

#3 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Since it is lasagna it will be really soft. Try cutting it into small bites then placing it towards the back of your teeth so it doesn't touch the front teeth. Bite with your molars then take a drink of water after each bite.

catgyrl

#4 Post by catgyrl »

Are your brackets self-ligating, or regular (with the o-rings, or ligatures around them to hold in the wire)? If they're self-ligating, you should have no worries because it's not the brackets that stain, but the ligatures. I've heard of some people having problem with the glue around the brackets staining, but I've not experiened that.

Taking small bites and aiming toward the back of your mouth is an excellent idea, too. Who cares what those teeth look like? haha

-Cathy

Shortie93

#5 Post by Shortie93 »

Hey guys thanks for all the replies!

I think they have the elastic around them, and when I got them I was given a sheet of 'what to avoid' with pasta sauce being right near the top of the list - oops! I think the best thing to do is, like others have suggested, just eat in very small bites at the back of my mouth and sip water regularly.

I don't have many problems with my braces now - had them for a week and a half and they no longer hurt/I'm used to how they look - but they are definitely a pain when it comes to situations like this, haha! Hopefully my straight teeth will cancel out all the pain I've been through at the end of it ;)

Thanks again guys :)
Shortie

Shortie93

#6 Post by Shortie93 »

Hmm - as an extra to the above.. I'm actually not sure whether they have the elastics in :S I've found one site which says they're self ligating which has made me doubt :S They're the six month smiles brand - anybody any ideas? or is there no standard, i.e. some will be and some won't be?

Shortie x

Harriet

#7 Post by Harriet »

i've got six month smiles braces too. Mine have the tiny clear o-ring/ligature on eacg bracket. I eat pasta sauce at least once a week and have had minimal staining from it (they do have a pink tinge but its not terribly bad). The only thing I have eaten with them that I would not eat again is curry (did that when I had lowers only and only a week until I got the ligatures changed) as it really does stain them luminous yellow.

It is just the ligatures that stain. As soon as I got them changed everything looked braned new again.
Read my six month smiles story here: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=39363