Best lip balm/chap stick for bracing?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kitsune

Best lip balm/chap stick for bracing?

#1 Post by kitsune »

Hello all,

I am getting my braces put on this Friday. As I've read, it is highly recommended that you go into this appointment with a lot of lip balm/chap stick on your lips. Do you have a personal favorite or a trusty stand by? Please let me know as I would definitely appreciate this information before I go to my appointment!

Thanks!

secretsmile

Re: Best lip balm/chap stick for bracing?

#2 Post by secretsmile »

My absolute favorite is Sugar's clear lip treatment by Fresh available at Sephora: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P57002 It conditions really good and is factor 15 SPF and claims to contain a bunch of vitamins and plumps your lips a little and feels nice...
It's a little pricy but I figure given everything we have to go through with braces we deserve a super nice lip treatment! :D

Much, much cheaper: the blistex ones available pretty much everywhere also work really well.

I don't know your treatment plan but if like me you have an overbite and are getting clear ceramic brackets I would caution against tinted lip balms as they sometimes mark the brackets. While it brushes right off, you likely don't want to walk around with colored lip stains on your brackets!

Good luck for friday!
Extractions (4 bicuspids) : 05/17/11
Braced (all but top molars) : 05/24/11
Top 1st Molars bracketed: 05/31/11
Forsus (Braces Springs): 10/18/11

My blog: http://marie-secretsmile.blogspot.com/

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=39420

Snowglobe32

#3 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I went into my brace appointment with a lot of lip stuff on, it came off almost instantly as they started the process. I didn't have any problems not having any so I wouldn't worry too much.

Robot Teeth

#4 Post by Robot Teeth »

Don't worry about it. Just use whatever you've already got, and put it on before the appointment. It's not like, a torture device or anything. As long as your lips are moist at first, you'll be just fine.

emmy30

#5 Post by emmy30 »

I've heard great things about Sugar (haven't tried it myself though). I have been using Nivea's "A kiss of moisture" and love it. It is inexpensive and the best I have tried so far.

Good luck on Friday!

selah wrote:Hello all,

I am getting my braces put on this Friday. As I've read, it is highly recommended that you go into this appointment with a lot of lip balm/chap stick on your lips. Do you have a personal favorite or a trusty stand by? Please let me know as I would definitely appreciate this information before I go to my appointment!

Thanks!

MBriar

#6 Post by MBriar »

I get braced on Friday as well! Yay! :-*
I love Carmex lip balm and plan to continue that once braced. I have a slight addiction to chap stick and have tried them all and this on has been the best for me.
Best of luck Friday!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Be sure to check out my blog HERE!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Rach44

#7 Post by Rach44 »

I pretty much just use whatever I have around - Nivea, ChapStick, Blistex, etc. However, if my lips are particularly dry I use Medicated ChapStick. It works really well.

Estimated Treatment Time: 30 Months

Bracing for It

#8 Post by Bracing for It »

The C.O. Bigelow Mentha line at Bath and Body Works. It's a lip gloss, but still the best ever and it's minty.

Amethyst

#9 Post by Amethyst »

I've always used Blistex. I have particularly chapped lips and it seems to work for me.