I found popcorn we can eat!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

klobird

I found popcorn we can eat!!!

#1 Post by klobird »

The popcorn is called Chester Puffs by Frito-Lay. I swear they were made for people with braces! Right on the front of the package it says--"No hulls, or hard kernels". It melts in your mouth and tastes exactly like popcorn!!! YIPPPPEEE!!!
And they sell it everywhere--I had no clue!!... :BigGrin:

MBriar

Re: I found popcorn we can eat!!!

#2 Post by MBriar »

I'm certainly looking for those at my supermarket!! I went to a movie last night and the smell of the popcorn was killing me! I so badly wanted to eat some. :cry:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Be sure to check out my blog HERE!

tackybrackets

#3 Post by tackybrackets »

yup I can barely stand to go to a movie theater because of the wonderful aroma of popcorn. It used to be my favorite snack. I discovered there are many ortho rules that i tend to bend with what i eat but unfortunately i cannot bend the "no popcorn" rule. It's such a horrid pain finding curnals 2 or 3 days after you ate it. Ugh! sigh, so I too have resorted to the "fake" popcorn. It is a very good substitute for my 2 year sentence in braces.
Hope all had a good holiday weekend. enjoy your work week!! =)

AM21

#4 Post by AM21 »

Will make sure to look for those next time I go to the store. I love popcorn so much but just too afraid to eat it.. thanks! :)
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

kennyandrew85

#5 Post by kennyandrew85 »

What's the risk with popcorn? I've been eating it for the past few months without any problems lol
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

TumbleDryLow

#6 Post by TumbleDryLow »

kennyandrew85 wrote:What's the risk with popcorn? I've been eating it for the past few months without any problems lol
Popcorn kernel+bracket = popped/broken bracket.
Hulls can get jammed in or under a molar bands. (I've actually heard of a few people getting an infection this way.)
Basically popcorn creates a big mess to clean out of the brackets.

That being said: I ate popcorn all though my 33 months of treatment with no ill effects. If you are careful and clean properly, it's fine.

Chicagogal

#7 Post by Chicagogal »

I bet they're similar to pirate booty. Anyone heard of it? It started off mostly at health food stores (whole foods and trader joe's and the like), but now is available in a lot of common groceries. It's my go-to popcorn alternative. The frito-lay is probably a cheaper version though, pirate booty is a bit on the expensive side, but no more than theater prices for popcorn.
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.

klobird

#8 Post by klobird »

Hey Chicago--I had never heard of pirate booty or chesterpuffs until recently. My friend tried the chesterpuffs last night and said they were better than pirate booty, but like I said, I really wouldn't know....

Snowglobe32

#9 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I just bought something terrible for us.... Butter Toffee Caramel Clusters with almonds and cashews. It is made by Archer Farms and sold at Target. I love it! I just make sure I don't eat a big clump at a time. I love caramel corn. A huge no no but I couldn't help myself. :crazy:

klobird

#10 Post by klobird »

I think you are ready to get those braces off Snow!!! What better way than to eat caramel corn and nuts and whatever other bunch of no-nos are in that concoction you bought!! At $50 a "braces sin", I'd probably end up breaking brackets and wires and have to fork over a couple hundred bucks if I ate that!!!

Naughty Naughty Naughty!!! :-** :-** :-**

Snowglobe32

#11 Post by Snowglobe32 »

klobird-

LOL. I think I have really hard teeth. I am really careful when I eat things on the no-no list. In month 3, I did break one bracket from eating a triscuit cracker...but that bracket was on a crown. I popped a wire out by eating an apple, which was cute into tiny pieces. I guess I have been lucky and my ortho doesn't charge for repairs.

I don't think these braces are coming off until the end of the year. My estimate was 22-24 months, I go back in 2 1/2 weeks for another wire and to start closing gaps. (((Sigh)))...that is okay though. I'm cool with it, these little suckers are like my toes....they don't bother me, I polish them and make them look pretty!

MBriar

#12 Post by MBriar »

Tried them today and they are wonderful! I think this will be my go to snack while I'm braced. Thanks for the info klobird!!

Be sure to check out my blog HERE!

Toothless

#13 Post by Toothless »

Awesome! I love popcorn!

buttercreme

#14 Post by buttercreme »

I don't think it tastes like "real stove made popcorn", but it will have to suffice for the next year or so.