Newbie that just got braced!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jamsmak04

Newbie that just got braced!!

#1 Post by jamsmak04 »

Hi there :)

So today after years of contemplating I finally got braced. I got inovation-c ceramics on the top and self ligating metals on the bottom.
My ortho had to build my two top molars to stop me from biting the brackets. It is going to take a lot of getting used to. I cannot eat anything, it feels like I am not able to use my molars from the build up. Everything I eat gets stuck in my teeth and it takes about 45 minutes to finish a meal. I have officially decided to eat oatmeal, smoothies, pudding and yogurt for a few days because I am getting very depressed.
My teeth have so much pressure they feel numb at this point which feels weird. I hope it gets better.

sea54change

Re: Newbie that just got braced!!

#2 Post by sea54change »

Hi jamsmak-

Welcome to the club! I had an adjustment today and my upers teeth are so sore I can't bite into anything. I'm seeing how long it will be before I take 2 Advil.

Have you tried making a cheese omlette? I used to live on those.

Braced: lowers 9-1-2011; uppers 12-1-2010
Debrace date: 10-20-2011
Bottom braces: 9-1-10
Top Braces: 12-1-10, enamel
Debrace date:Top 12-12-11
Bottom: 1-5-2012

jamsmak04

#3 Post by jamsmak04 »

Cheese omelette hey hmm may have to give that a whirl. I never thought of eating eggs but they are soft and full of protein. Thanks for the suggestion. I have not taken any pain killers yet. I am trying to hold out. I only have tylenol here and my ortho said ibuprofen seems to work the best so I am going to walmart to pick some up as well as some smoothie ingredients.
I am just hoping it gets better. They look and feel awful. Not to mention I came out of the office today and my husband was sitting in the car laughing at me, needless to say he has been less than supportive. Maybe he does not get how difficult this is on me.

Huggypillow

#4 Post by Huggypillow »

jamsmak04 wrote:Cheese omelette hey hmm may have to give that a whirl. I never thought of eating eggs but they are soft and full of protein. Thanks for the suggestion. I have not taken any pain killers yet. I am trying to hold out. I only have tylenol here and my ortho said ibuprofen seems to work the best so I am going to walmart to pick some up as well as some smoothie ingredients.
I am just hoping it gets better. They look and feel awful. Not to mention I came out of the office today and my husband was sitting in the car laughing at me, needless to say he has been less than supportive. Maybe he does not get how difficult this is on me.
Hello "jamsmak04" welcome to the big club, every month i go back to soft food so here are some of the foods i like to eat, I thought it might give you some other options.

Pancakes
frozen smoothie with some ice cream
sponge cake with cream, custard or other topping
scrambelled eggs with chopped tomato and anything else that you like to eat
poached eggs with holindase sause
avocardos
fish or grilled with butter,salt and pepper with a bit of lemon
tortellini with thin meat sauce
craeps

These are just some of what i eat when i have had my adjustments, I feel bad for you because it is hard to figure out what to eat when your teeth are very very sore.

take care

tackybrackets

#5 Post by tackybrackets »

Oh gosh i truely feel your pain jamsmak04!! I've now had my braces for going on 5 months now. Lets just say the first 2 weeks were bad. eating was no longer enjoyable and tasteless and everything had to be soft or soup. I PROMISE that it does get better! it truely will get to the point of barely even noticing that your wearing braces. Give it time and you'll not regret them :wink:
Also i know where your comin from on your molar build ups and your teeth not touching.. well i didnt get build ups but an appliance that virtually does the same thing that build ups do (keep me from biting my bottom brackets, and corrects a bite issue) but mines worse in that i have this thick plastic part of the bite plate that takes up room in my mouth. I would get so scared that i would choke on food because i had no room to chew or anything. i have a lisp from it as well lol. When i recieved my bite plate i just about had a break down and second guessed myself in why im putting up with this.. eventually its gotten alot better. I still have my bite plate but my teeth have erupted now and they touch so eating is normal again. Here's hoping i should get bite plate removed next adjustement! Good luck and stay encouraged for the end result!

tackybrackets

#6 Post by tackybrackets »

oh and i too have a hubby that enjoys making fun of my appliance and braces lol. first thing he said when i got them is that i looked 12 again. unfortunately the husbands just never seem to be the support we need.. only the comic relief haha

jamsmak04

#7 Post by jamsmak04 »

Thanks for the list of soft food. I will certainly give them a try.
I woke up to my mouth being torn up this morning which is no fun. Hopefully this gets better, I am sure it will but its hard to believe right now.
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

chainreaction

#8 Post by chainreaction »

Welcome to the club ...it will get better ...and worse and better ...like a rollercoaster....lol ...and you will get used to it after a while ......try mac and cheese for the bad days ....mashed potatoes ...fish is good and soft and healthy too....my new favorite for lunch on the go ...peanut butter and banana smoothie!!! :D

Chuck1026

#9 Post by Chuck1026 »

I got mine on 9/6/11 and it has been a tough week! I have molar buildup which makes chewing VERY difficult, but last night I popped two Avil and dug into a 1/2 chicken and ate it all (slowely). It was SO worth it. I was very proud of myself and felt like I turned the first corner.

Good luck! We're on the same path!

jamsmak04

#10 Post by jamsmak04 »

[quote="Chuck1026"]I got mine on 9/6/11 and it has been a tough week! I have molar buildup which makes chewing VERY difficult, but last night I popped two Avil and dug into a 1/2 chicken and ate it all (slowely). It was SO worth it. I was very proud of myself and felt like I turned the first corner.

Good luck! We're on the same path![/quote]

I hate the molar build up the most. I swear this would not be bad at all if it wear not for the build ups. But I know that I will not be stuck with them forever. I just really want a normal meal. I am going to try to eat something half decent tonight.

mowtful

#11 Post by mowtful »

I have a very deep bite and was concerned about accidentally knocking off my bottom braces with my front teeth, but my orthodontist did not give me a molar build-up. Instead, he put two lumpy ceramic "stops" on the back of my front teeth. I cannot chew anything because my molars do not come together, and my front teeth shouldn't come together if I don't want to knock off my bottom braces. Also I am always rubbing my tongue against the build-ups on the back of my front teeth. It seems like molar build-ups might be better, because at least I could chew. I'm 4 days into this and have not been able to eat anything unless I can swallow it whole without chewing. It's a great weight-loss method, but the last thing I need to do is lose weight...

jamsmak04

#12 Post by jamsmak04 »

mowtful I totally understand what your saying. I had trouble chewing food too and I still kind of do. I am 5'6 and weigh 110 lbs, after this week of torture do not want to see that scale. I could not afford to lose a pound but my jeans are even baggier. Hopefully I can gain it back when Iam feeling 100%. I feel a heck of a lot better but not 100% yet.
Braced on Sept 9/11
In-ovation C uppers
In-ovation R lowers