How do powerchains work?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

diegorgeous

How do powerchains work?

#1 Post by diegorgeous »

A bit of background. I have 4 first premolar extractions. I also have about a 2mm gap between my top 2 front teeth...and my major problem is bimaxilliary protrusion.
We are now starting to close the gaps. At my last appointment, my ortho put power chains on my lower front 6 (canine to canine) and upper front 6 (canine to canine). He also put another powerchain that went from canine to the l1st molar on both upper and lower arches. Lastly he gave me fox elastics to wear from upper canine to lower 1st molar.

How do powerchains work? Would my 2 mmm gap between my front teeth gradually close?. Do powerchains continously work for weeks?? or do they lose strength like elastics?. Should the gap be about closed by my next appointment (6 weeks)?

Also why do the elastics go from canines to 1st molar?? what difference does it make if the elastic goes to the last (second) molar??

thanks

VA5

Re: How do powerchains work?

#2 Post by VA5 »

If they are elastic powerchains, they do lose strength. You can ask for metal coil springs too and those do not lose power, supposedly.

Small gaps can take forever. Some people here will say 1mm per month. It can take months for 1mm to close. Or even longer. Sometimes the way your bite is closing prevents teeth from moving.

diegorgeous

#3 Post by diegorgeous »

Thanks!!!...........its amazing how slow it can be. I remember a couple of years ago I had hawley retainers and when I wore those alone for like a week...the same gap was completely closed...I stopped wearing my retainers, so it opened back up..I'd have thought it'll be faster with braces..... :shock:

lunadali

#4 Post by lunadali »

I'm glad you posted the question. I just got a powerchain along all my upper teeth. I'm in so much pain. I was wondering how long I'd have to have it cuz I hate it!

secretsmile

#5 Post by secretsmile »

Maybe it depends on how much time you have between adjustments, but i've had power chains since day 1. I'm currently 5 days from my 5th adjustment and have seen movement just today in regards to gaps and even had pain earlier on my upper right side where the power chain is. Though rest assured the pain is random not constant :) I only have 4 weeks between appointments so they amy lose strength for thsoe with bigger appointment gaps. The power chains have been effective on my bottom gaps. On my top they're still effective but the ortho is pulling back my canines to create stability and space to bring my overbite back. So I have 2 small gaps on each side of the canines on the top. Kindof annoying but part of the process. One side effect of power chains is that sometimes they create small gaps between other teeth that aren't chained. But mostly they seem to work.
Extractions (4 bicuspids) : 05/17/11
Braced (all but top molars) : 05/24/11
Top 1st Molars bracketed: 05/31/11
Forsus (Braces Springs): 10/18/11

My blog: http://marie-secretsmile.blogspot.com/

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=39420

BracedSurgeryStudent

#6 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

They are used to close gaps and bring everything together and make sure the teeth are staying put so powerchains are on for a while and they DO in fact loose their elasticity, that's why thyere are adjustment appointments to the ortho they change them out. Powerchains work pretty fast.
Jenn Medeiros

Webtheman

#7 Post by Webtheman »

The only thing that I can really say about power chains is that they make my teeth hurt like heck! I have them across my entire upper and lower teeth. My last appointment was about two weeks ago and my teeth still hurt.