Is this normal?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AM21

Is this normal?

#1 Post by AM21 »

Hi all,

Yesterday, I bit down and I heard a loud pop. I freaked out a bit because I thought I might have popped a bracket off but after I examined my mouth everything was fine. A little later, I put my teeth together again and I heard the same pop noise, but after checking again, everything was fine (bracket/wire wise). I looked at my right molar buildup and figured out that the popping noise was a few pieces of the buildup breaking off.

Is it normal for a molar buildup to do that? I thought that they were pretty strong. It surprised me. Also, should I wait till I go next week to the ortho and let them know, or should I call and let them know today? I really don't feel it's that big of an issue but I know I was told if I have any problems to call them.
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

drgnchsr36

Re: Is this normal?

#2 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I would call them, maybe you don't need the buildups anymore? If so, that's great and they can take the rest off. If you still need them though, they should be fixed.

AM21

#3 Post by AM21 »

drgnchsr36 wrote:I would call them, maybe you don't need the buildups anymore? If so, that's great and they can take the rest off. If you still need them though, they should be fixed.
Thanks for the response! I called them and was told that as long as I'm not biting on any brackets, I should be fine until next week. She also told me that the assistant would fix it for me. I was a little disappointed, was hoping they would take them off. :? Lol

drgnchsr36

#4 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Hehe, no doubt, I'd feel the same.

I'm hoping to get mine off next week.. they stated at my last appointment that it might be a possibility. I can't wait if that's true!

AM21

#5 Post by AM21 »

drgnchsr36 wrote:Hehe, no doubt, I'd feel the same.

I'm hoping to get mine off next week.. they stated at my last appointment that it might be a possibility. I can't wait if that's true!
Good luck! That would be really neat if you did get them taken off. Of course, you do get used to the buildups but, it's not the same as chewing with your actual teeth.

drgnchsr36

#6 Post by drgnchsr36 »

AM21 wrote:

Good luck! That would be really neat if you did get them taken off. Of course, you do get used to the buildups but, it's not the same as chewing with your actual teeth.
Yeah, having them this long it's really not that big of a deal. Just would be nice to be rid of them at last! I was dying to get them off after the first couple of days, I had no idea how I was going to survive! But, you get used to them pretty fast, but doesn't mean that I still don't like 'em.

BrAcEfAcE4547

#7 Post by BrAcEfAcE4547 »

What do molar build ups do?

belistic10

#8 Post by belistic10 »

i think they stop your top teeth clashing with the brackets on the lower teeth??.. i reckon i have a high probability of getting them on my first visit monday :( i think they would mainly be used for people with overbite/overjets. Someone please correct me if i am wrong :lol:

AM21

#9 Post by AM21 »

drgnchsr36 wrote:
AM21 wrote:

Yeah, having them this long it's really not that big of a deal. Just would be nice to be rid of them at last! I was dying to get them off after the first couple of days, I had no idea how I was going to survive! But, you get used to them pretty fast, but doesn't mean that I still don't like 'em.
Yeah, I totally understand! I was like that as well, wanted to pop them off my teeth the first couple of days, just didn't feel natural at all. But it's all apart of the process. When they do take them off, i'm going to definatley celebrate. :jump:

AM21

#10 Post by AM21 »

BrAcEfAcE4547 wrote:What do molar build ups do?
belistic10 is correct, they stop your teeth from colliding with your brackets and change the way your teeth fit together too. They're for people with overjets/overbites/deep bites as well. I lucked out and managed to have all 3 of those things. lol :roll:

drgnchsr36

#11 Post by drgnchsr36 »

AM21 wrote:
Yeah, I totally understand! I was like that as well, wanted to pop them off my teeth the first couple of days, just didn't feel natural at all. But it's all apart of the process. When they do take them off, i'm going to definatley celebrate. :jump:
Totally, it'll be nice to chew with all my teeth.. and I won't be clenching as much. I still have that habit once in awhile, I feel like I'm trying to grind them down as much as possible!!

...and yep, have the deep bite issue and my top teeth slanted inwards, which didn't help things when it came to space and my bottom brackets.

crooked rory

#12 Post by crooked rory »

belistic10 wrote:i think they stop your top teeth clashing with the brackets on the lower teeth??.. i reckon i have a high probability of getting them on my first visit monday :( i think they would mainly be used for people with overbite/overjets. Someone please correct me if i am wrong :lol:
You are mostly right there, but I can tell you that in my case, they are due to my lower teeth clashing with my left anterior incisor bracket. This is from having an underbite.