Elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BrAcEfAcE4547

Elastics

#1 Post by BrAcEfAcE4547 »

Okay so my braces go on Thursday morning. With all of this talk about elastics I suddenly remembered that when I was a kid in braces (30+ years ago) I would be quietly minding my own business when suddenly an elastic would break and snap rather painfully in my mouth. Please tell me that the quality of elastics has improved dramatically in the last 30 years.

Also, has anyone used any of the mouth strips or guards offered? I think that the one that snaps onto the arch wire and covers the brackets might be good to sleep in. Anyone have any experience with those? I must admit that I am starting to feel a little nervous about the discomfort. I had managed to forget about that part until I started reading here. I do remember that I swallowed more wax than ever stayed on... any words of encouragement would be much appreciated, :shock:

belistic10

Re: Elastics

#2 Post by belistic10 »

well i am one day in :lol: my wax is staying on pretty well :) so happy with that, it so far has stopped any bits getting sore. I had some on overnight and it stayed put. Dont know what brand it is but is says GAC on the little case (it came in my goody bag yesterday).
The discomfort so far has not been too bad, just feels achy all over but some ibuprofen is handling it pretty well. I had expected alot more pain than what i am having, so no complaints here :lol: its a bearable pain.
I managed to eat a turkey and cheese sandwich today for lunch (kinda tore it up with my fingers and munched it on my back teeth) works well and doesnt cause me pain :) I havent got elastics at this point, not sure if i will in the future but i imagine so. I reckon they would have improved them over the years since everything else has improved (like the self-ligating systems etc)
goodluck for thursday, you will be fine :) :thumbsup:

BracedSurgeryStudent

#3 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Hey I got elastics on the SAME day as my braces and mine were the very thin ones and they didn't snap at all so yes the quality has improved and I just got my braces on this September 8th 2011.

I know what you are talking about the Lip Bumpers. My office does not have those available because you're supposed to be tough enough to handle the minimal if any scrape-age that happens. They actually dont advise you use that because are you going to walk around like that all the time Id be a little emkbarassed :oops:

I find that it doesnt hurt or scrap at ALL with sleeping and I have Damon braces and these brackets although are smaller they are sharper in the mouth. You'll be just fine without it. and the elastics dont break ive snaped them in my face trying to put them on but they didnt break.

Hope that helped :)
Jenn Medeiros

BrAcEfAcE4547

#4 Post by BrAcEfAcE4547 »

Thanks guys. I feel better now. Thursday morning at 8:15a (yuck) my journey begins! I hope that I am one of the lucky ones with little pain :HugeGrin: Either way, I think I am ready. I went to the movies on Saturday and ate my last bag of popcorn for the next two or so years. Can we chew Freedent gum?

44AndWired

#5 Post by 44AndWired »

The energy to chew gum is more work than it's worth. I use to love chewing gum, now I act as though it doesn't exist. Lol. Good luck on Thursday. I am sure you will be fine.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#6 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

BrAcEfAcE4547 wrote:Thanks guys. I feel better now. Thursday morning at 8:15a (yuck) my journey begins! I hope that I am one of the lucky ones with little pain :HugeGrin: Either way, I think I am ready. I went to the movies on Saturday and ate my last bag of popcorn for the next two or so years. Can we chew Freedent gum?
Gum actually has to be sugarless in order to chew it with braces. I had someone recently offer me freedent but despite being supposedly "non sticky" It contained a lot of sugar in it, also unhealthy for teeth in braces. You can have 5 Gum and orbit and all of that kind of stuff. No bublegum. But even the sugarless gum to chew it HURTS. But like they say chewing is the therapy that helps your hurting teeth in braces stop hurting that's why some orthodontists give out bite plates/Wafers, but Gum sugarless can help with the pain.
Jenn Medeiros

drgnchsr36

#7 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I loved to chew gum, until I got my bottom brackets.. then it seemed no matter which gum I tried.. it stuck in the brackets. I gave up after that.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#8 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

drgnchsr36 wrote:I loved to chew gum, until I got my bottom brackets.. then it seemed no matter which gum I tried.. it stuck in the brackets. I gave up after that.
Awh you should try 5 gum it never stuvk to mine. It usually only sticks if you cradle it in your mouth instead of keep chewing on it
Jenn Medeiros