Do night-only elastics work?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lingual or nought

Do night-only elastics work?

#1 Post by lingual or nought »

I have been given elastics to wear at night for my midline. Has anyone else? Did they work? Should I also sneak them in by day when at my desk alone?

Thanks

Snowglobe32

Re: Do night-only elastics work?

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Elastics work when worn as instructed. Some people have to wear them 24/7, some don't. (I would be happy if I only had to wear them at night - when I was wearing them!) Your ortho probably told you to wear at night only because your issue isn't as severe as others. If you wear them more than instructed, you could cause problems that would extend your time in braces.

Good luck!

P.S. If elastics cause any kind of pain, a heating pad works wonders!

diegorgeous

#3 Post by diegorgeous »

You should wear your elastics as instructed.

My ortho told me to wear mine at the very least nightly, but i wear them 24-7. Because he said ideally i should wear them as much as possible.

You dont want to over-correct your problem,

MerryKate

#4 Post by MerryKate »

When I first had elastics I was told to wear them at night, and then I graduated to 24-7 wear about 2 months later. Follow your ortho's instructions - they know what they're doing. 8)
"Every tooth in a man's head is more valuable than a diamond." ~Miguel de Cervantes