I have my uppers braced but wondering if I made a mistake

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

GodAwfulMouth

I have my uppers braced but wondering if I made a mistake

#1 Post by GodAwfulMouth »

I have my uppers braced but wonder if I made a mistake only having the uppers done and not the lowers.
In my initial consultation I told the ortho that I hate my top teeth and wanted them fixed and that I did not care about the lowers.
He said I could have my bite fixed which would involve removing some teeth, having both upper and lower braced for 2years and would cost £2500

or I could have just the uppers fixed in 12 months for £2000 no extractions

I didnt want teeth removed I didnt wanna wear them for 2 years and I didnt care about the bite - it wasnt a problem

So I went ahead and got the uppers braced.

For was a 4 month gap between the consultation and the first bracing and in this gap I started noticing a tooth on the bottom that I wished was straighter. But I left it and told myself Im being paranoid.

But now 3 weeks into my bracing the bottom teeth have become more and more noticabely bad to me. I cant stop thinking about that I should have got them done too. And now I dont know what to do. It's like the bottom teeth are moving too - without the brace, theyre moving inwards around the sides and the 4 front 1s are spreading out and getting gappy.

Im only 3 weeks into a 12 month stint and I'm wondering how much of a mess they'll be after the whole 12 months has passed. What would you do in my situation?

bracesmcgee

Re: I have my uppers braced but wondering if I made a mistak

#2 Post by bracesmcgee »

Hi GodAwfulMouth,
If I were you I would go ahead and get the bottom row braced as well. Is there not a way you can get the bottom done without them extracting teeth?

At the end of the day, you are paying all that money for your teeth, you need to be happy with them. The more your upper teeth become straight the more problems you might realize with the lower. Just my opinion, hope it goes well!

GodAwfulMouth

#3 Post by GodAwfulMouth »

the teeth removal was to fix an overbite... i think
i havent a clue about dentistry so i really do not know of he can fix the bottom 1s (its literally 1 tooth that has moved forwards and there is plenty gap for it to move back into)
I am so scared to tell him because he might be mad and not be able to do it :(

BrAcEfAcE4547

#4 Post by BrAcEfAcE4547 »

I should think that he will be happy to do it. He wants you to be satisfied and serve as a walking advertisement of his skill as an ortho. It's worth the extra money I think.

bracesmcgee

#5 Post by bracesmcgee »

I don't think he'll be mad. Most people have to get either top or bottom first done anyway. I would just ask him. Like braceface said you are going to be a walking advertisement of his work, he wants you to be happy with it. Hope everything works out. :)

ashesgap

#6 Post by ashesgap »

I doubt he'd be mad. You'd pay the extra money and he'd say "let's do this!" you might want to ask if he can try fixing them with out pulling teeth first, and then later pull them only if you have too. I think a solid bite is worth top and bottom braces.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days