Tips for eating with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rahmama

Tips for eating with braces

#1 Post by rahmama »

I'm on day 3 of my braces. The dental assistant told me to eat only soft foods for the first 2 days which I found very challenging especially since I wasn't prepared for it. With my limited and shifting bite, soft and liquid-y type foods are going to be a staple for a long time around here. I thought I'd share a couple of meals I came up with.

I steamed broccoli and fresh chopped garlic. Then I put it in a food chopper with tomato soup (sort of a comfort food for me anyway). I got some French bread which I tore up into itty bitty pieces and dropped them in my bowl. Very easy and tasty. It's making me hungry now.

Scrambled eggs are another soft option, but even this was challenging as my first meal.

I find myself using my tongue to break up food, because my bite is so awful. I didn't realize how difficult eating was going to be!

Please feel free to add meals and tips for eating to this post. I'm hungry!

SueAsh5

Re: Tips for eating with braces

#2 Post by SueAsh5 »

It gets better. Trust me. Applesauce and yogurt. Mac and cheese or any pasta. Mashed potatoes are wonderful and slide down. I´ve now moved on to pizza, tex-mex, etc. just all in small pieces and I still can´t bite with my front teeth - too sore. Next week is my first adjustment so back to the soft stuff at least for a few days. I just try to be thankful that at least I do have food in my house!

ashesgap

#3 Post by ashesgap »

I have a couple good recipes.
http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-and-ta ... ead-163204
I slice the meat super super thin, then marinate. Once cooked it is soft, easy to eat and tastes great on rice.
http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-po ... wder-50144
This is best when made with baking potatoes, they are starchier and makes the soup thicker.
I'm always trying recipes my family will want to eat, that I can eat without hurting myself.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

secretsmile

#4 Post by secretsmile »

Rahmama - it definitely took me by surprise but it does get better... Though 6 months in its going to be a long time before potato chips/crisps and hard cookies are an option... But I have no bite right now, extraction gaps and forsus. I am in my ortho's words a complex case... So this is kindof why my chewing ability is kindof limited compared to likely many other brace wearers.

I thought i'd share some sweet/desert/slightly indulgent options:

Cake - is the braces answer to cookies. especially butter loaf and marble loaf and mini muffins...
Ben & Jerries Ice Cream
Chocolate is doable with a warm drink and kindof let it melt in your mouth...

Good luck and it gets better :lol:
Extractions (4 bicuspids) : 05/17/11
Braced (all but top molars) : 05/24/11
Top 1st Molars bracketed: 05/31/11
Forsus (Braces Springs): 10/18/11

My blog: http://marie-secretsmile.blogspot.com/

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=39420

belistic10

#5 Post by belistic10 »

good ideas :) i so far like anything done in my slowcooker as the meat is so soft its very easy to eat. shepherds pie went down nicely too. and custard, jelly, icecream for dessert lol

rahmama

#6 Post by rahmama »

Thanks for these great ideas everyone. This forum has definitely helped my outlook. :thumbsup:
I also worried about how to cook so that I can eat the same meal with my family. My husband has been very understanding, which has helped tons.

Bracing for It

#7 Post by Bracing for It »

You'll be eating normal in no time! At least until after your first adjustment appointment.

kamor

#8 Post by kamor »

After almost 6 weeks in braces, this is what i have learned to eat / tolerate:
mashed potatoes with lots of gravy, perogies, anything in my slow cooker, scrambled eggs, really the usual food that anyone with braces can tolerate.
However. last night, for the first time since getting braced, i ate a tuna melt! Cut it in very small pieces and ate very slowly. It was delicious!
I guess my point is this: when i first got braced, i was convinced i would never eat solid food again. I was also convinced that i would never eat in a restaurant and never eat in public. Funny how you get used to things....
Now that i have eaten the tuna melt, I feel more confident to try other foods, that i thought would be difficult to eat. While I'm not quite ready for steak yet, i will try some new foods. Really appreciate the helpful posts, thanks to everyone for the support.

rahmama

#9 Post by rahmama »

I'm loving the slow cooker idea. Going out now to get a chuck roast, potatoes and carrots for tonight.

Now that I've made myself hungry thinking about dinner, any ideas for snacks? :Questions: Most everything is too crunchy or sticky or sweet. Yogurt helps soothe my grumbling tummy, but I'd like to add something else that's quick and easy.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

chainreaction

#10 Post by chainreaction »

Rice Pudding...bread pudding....soft baked cookies dunked in milk ...chicken pot pie....tortellini....ravioli....mac-n-cheese...potatoes augratin...pasta salad....cauliflour casserole...fish .....sweet potatoes...baby goldfish crackers....

bbsadmin

#11 Post by bbsadmin »

I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

rahmama

#12 Post by rahmama »

Oh, I love rice pudding and tortellini and...just about everything on your list. Thanks for these yummy suggestions.

I'll check out the links too. :D

prose

#13 Post by prose »

I'm 46 and just about 30 hours into new top and bottom braces...wow! Already my teeth feel like they are moving and it hurts to bite anything...even soft things. Today was a three smoothie day with two sides of scrambled eggs. Wonder if there is a forum documenting weight loss as related to new braces changing eating habits! :)

pattikq

#14 Post by pattikq »

I was hoping for weight loss, but with eating ice cream and mac and cheese, etc. I stayed the same...oh well, be thankful I can eat some of my fav foods. I love the baked sweet postatoe with brown sugar and butter.

belistic10

#15 Post by belistic10 »

i find snacks the hardest too, i tend to not snack anymore :lol: i just try and eat more at each main meal so i am really full! although lastnight i was naughty and ate some lolly snakes by tearing them into smaller bits and munching them on my back molars LOL it worked fine & was nice to snack for a change! wont risk trying doritos or anything crunchy like that though. Main meals now i am eating everything i want, except i have not tried steak lol so i havent changed my diet at all, just a bit healthier as i havent been easily able to eat my usual snackfood of an evening :(