Tooth (which needs a root canal) not happy!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DesertCat

Tooth (which needs a root canal) not happy!

#1 Post by DesertCat »

I'm hoping to ask about this/bring this up at my next adjustment (in a week), but not sure quite how...or what to say!

I have a tooth that needs/has needed a root canal...and that can't be done until it can be x-rayed (which I'm pretty sure still can't be done--the root from the canine is probably still in the way). A bit after the last adjustment (well, an emergency appointment where the button on that tooth came off), that tooth (upper left 1st bicuspid) started hurting rather severely/sharply at times, but...I'm not sure if it's just from how much it's moved the last few weeks (it's been more or less fine until now and has moved a LOT the last few/~4-5 weeks), that things are still in the 'pull one tooth past another' stage (of which this tooth is one), or...what! The pain seems to be getting a bit worse/more frequent. My sinuses are also not at all happy (don't think this is separate), and I seem to also have duller pain in my lower jaw that I'm not sure if is a separate issue or not. :(

What to ask/say? Anything? Beyond asking if it might be x-ray-able (which I would think ortho might be able to tell?) or, well, *when* it might be! :lol: I've somewhat assumed it would need to be fully in line/in its proper spot at least before the root canal/whatever could be done? And, yes, I know there's a possibility it's a goner, but I'm thinking even then that can't be dealt with right now.

Anyone had an experience like this? Can the pain just 'stop' at random for no reason? Or, er, any ideas for the pain other than ibuprofen or cold/allergy medication? For the sharper pain--which has creepily been absent the last 14 hours or so...without that it just feels like a sinus infection. And, yep, antibiotics seemed to be what got it to stop hurting after it had been filled**, but that's out unless could get them via the dentist. And any way to tell if the pain in the other jaw is a diff issue without going by actual dentist? I may do that after ortho appointment (although if I finally get a new wire on the bottom, it might not be right away), but I'm not sure how to go about things if need to have something done at the dentist!

(** This is due to when it was discovered it needed a root canal (Jan '10), it hurt similarly to this for the next 5 weeks...then with round #2 of antibiotics for extractions it just stopped!? Round #1 helped a little. I'm thinking too much of a coincidence, but no idea if that was what stopped it or not, but with how my sinuses feel it screams 'sinus infection' / needs antibiotics...and it did then, too.)

londug

Re: Tooth (which needs a root canal) not happy!

#2 Post by londug »

Can you please share what you find out? I'm in a similar situation. thanks

DesertCat

Re: Tooth (which needs a root canal) not happy!

#3 Post by DesertCat »

londug -- I didn't have much luck, actually, as I went in and the spring somewhat near the definitely painful/sensitive one (not attached to, but attached to one of its buddies and next to the other) got poked, and hello pain.

I'm not sure which issue is most like yours (a really unhappy tooth in a jumbled, hard to clean area that needs a root canal but can't yet, or a questionable/might need looked at one), but if it's the first while I didn't get to ask I'm 100% sure the answer is 'not yet' on being able to x-ray it, and that tooth was more or less not messed with because, well, it wouldn't tolerate it! Which right at this moment was okay (at least for me/my teeth in their current locations), but it *did* change what ended up being done at my adjustment. Bit worried for the next, as I think it'll need messed with one way or another. :(

The other tooth is now in the middle of a small/3-long section of powerchain, and the unhappy tooth is hitting this one about head on at times now, so...yeah, no better off/no suggestions and even less idea if the pain around this one is actually from the 'other'! If it's more like this (without the second tooth that might be the cause) probably the thing to do would be to go in to or call your ortho office and ask what/when it'd be best to have it checked out. Or that's what I'd do if I had a job and didn't have the other one 'waiting'...

Although since my adjustment the chronic pain seems to have vanished, at least for the moment, so *that's* good, but now worried about the 'next' adjustment. :lol: