Cost?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pstones578

Cost?

#1 Post by pstones578 »

I am 35 and have had uneven teeth all my life. For some reason I never got anything done about it when I was younger but want to now. I know it's a crystal ball question but can someone ball-park the cost for me to have corrections. I have what I think is significant mis-alighnment of my upper teeth (particularly my front teeth).

At any time during procedures do people have to be put to sleep or is it routine to do all this with the person awake?

pstones578

Re: Cost?

#2 Post by pstones578 »

I should have mentioned I'm in the UK

belistic10

#3 Post by belistic10 »

hi well i had to have 4 extractions before treatment due to lower crowding, for that i had to go to my normal dentist and had it under local anaesthetic so i was awake the whole time (they did give me a valium tablet beforehand and some gas during which helped)
then 3.5weeks later i got my braces put on. Total cost for me is about $7000 for damon clear (ceramic uppers, and metal lowers) and my extraction were about $500 :shock: This is in south australia and it seems more expensive over here than some other places.. I am on a payment plan so i only had to pay $350 upfront and then pay $55 a week straight to the ortho. The dentist is letting me pay $100/mth off that bill as well to make it more manageable.
only way to really tell is go get a quote from a couple of different orthodontists. goodluck!! and go for it, it will be so worth it in the end.

belistic10

#4 Post by belistic10 »

forgot to add getting the braces on you are awake, it really wasnt too bad at all and it didnt hurt. Only sometimes i felt pressure when they were gluing some brackets onto my lower teeth (as they are crowded and sensitive)

klobird

#5 Post by klobird »

Hey pstones--If you don't have extractions, then braces aren't really even like going to the dentist. It's more like them working with metal on a car, only your the car!

So far, my ortho has pretty much only touched the outside of my teeth--it's a lot of pulling and pushing and banding, but not that bad at all. And because of my new "superdentist", I have just come out of a terrible dental phobia, to the point where I could actually get braces...totally worth it!!!

klobird

#6 Post by klobird »

Oh ya---my full metal Damon Q braces were $5,700 with a $550 discount--so actually $5,150. I put $2400 down--my insurance is paying $2,000 and I am paying $60 a month on the balance....

belistic10

#7 Post by belistic10 »

klobird wrote:Oh ya---my full metal Damon Q braces were $5,700 with a $550 discount--so actually $5,150. I put $2400 down--my insurance is paying $2,000 and I am paying $60 a month on the balance....
far out that is so much cheaper than here :lol: jealous!! wish i had insurance :(

TumbleDryLow

#8 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Huge thread on the subject of cost here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34589
(Many posts from the UK there.)

londug

#9 Post by londug »

mine were $5400 for metal with no extractions. it also includes all xrays needed during treatment

lana23

#10 Post by lana23 »

i ahd dental insurance but they only gave me a $500 discount since they didnt cover ortho for adults. My total costs were 7,064 and I have several gaps, and overbite, crossbite. your costs will vary depending on how bad your teeth are and what your insurance will cover.

Ringworm139

#11 Post by Ringworm139 »

My first consult is coming up and I am a little nervous about the cost as well. It seems to vary a lot.

kellyb

#12 Post by kellyb »

i am also in the UK and my braces (ceramics top and bottom plus retainers at the end) costs £3700. luckily i didnt require any extractions before the braces.

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

braceface74

#13 Post by braceface74 »

I'm in the UK, having damon clears on top and metal on bottom and it's costing £3900 which they allow me to pay up over two years... if i pay it all up front then there was a 5% discount. This includes the cost of retainers at the end also.
Braces journey 16/01/2012 - 03/06/2013 :)

My Braces story

kellyb

#14 Post by kellyb »

braceface74 wrote:I'm in the UK, having damon clears on top and metal on bottom and it's costing £3900 which they allow me to pay up over two years... if i pay it all up front then there was a 5% discount. This includes the cost of retainers at the end also.
lucky you, i have to pay mine off over a year i.e. £308 per month. i wd have gotten a 5% discount also if i was able to pay it up front.

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

Domino

#15 Post by Domino »

A lot of the UK costs here are quite significantly more than mine for some reason! Mine, with ceramic tops and metal bottoms, comes to £2795, which includes retainers and such at the end. It'll be for two years. I pay about £700 to begin with, then bi-monthly payments over the two years. I also have to have 4 extractions, which will be about £160.

I'm not sure why my treatment is cheaper than others. Typically, my dentist is actually expensive for most things. Perhaps it's the amount of work that needs doing to my teeth (judge for yourself on my story), but it still is two years, so I'm not sure! Perhaps location in the UK is critical (London might be more expensive than where I am).
My Story — Braced on 2 March 2012. 4 premolar extractions. Ceramic/clear uppers, metal lowers. Duration of 2 years.
Currently: Third adjustment 19 June (all teeth bracketed!)