3 yrs, teeth not aligned and ortho wants me out - PICTURES

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

londug

3 yrs, teeth not aligned and ortho wants me out - PICTURES

#1 Post by londug »

Help! What should I do?

I am approaching 3 years in braces this December. I am 41 am want to be out of these metal braces but my teeth are not yet aligned. I am not expecting the Hollywood smile since I had very bad teeth to work with - I had 3 pre-molars pulled as a child because we were poor and it was the best the dentist could do to make me look 'passable.' I have a chipped front tooth that was shaped so it's slightly shorter than the other one. I will never have an aligned midline, and I am ok with that.

I went in for an adjustment today and the ortho told me she was ready to take my braces off even though I still have gaps between my uppers & lowers. On the right side where both pre-molars were pulled, the bottom canine is hitting the top canine and it prevents my entire mouth from closing properly. The bottom molars also lean inward so the top molars are hitting the outside top section of the bottom ones. My ortho scheduled me for an de-brace evaluation in 3 weeks when she thinks I'll be ready.

I've dreamt of this day, but with straight teeth, not gaps! Are my expectations realistic? What can I do if she wants to give me the boot?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

klobird

Re: 3 yrs, teeth not aligned and ortho wants me out - PICTUR

#2 Post by klobird »

Your teeth do look really good--but for a finished look, I think I would really wonder why it's ok to have the midline so far off? That would be unacceptable to me. Also, braces are about ending up with a good bite. I'm not sure about the gaps. I would get a 2nd opinion before I let her take them off--it costs too much for her to just say that's enough...I would have to know that this is an acceptable finished result from another source.

kennyandrew85

#3 Post by kennyandrew85 »

I think having a perfect midline on the bottom arch is overrated but that's just me.
personally I think you might need a bit of filing on the bottom of your top teeth just to even them up a bit, your teeth look good to me :)
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

TumbleDryLow

#4 Post by TumbleDryLow »

There might not be anything to do about the midline (and honestly no one but you is going to notice it) but you should have a comfortable bite. I'd press for that before the braces come off.

JennyLaughs

#5 Post by JennyLaughs »

I agree with everyone about the midline, that's not really a big thing for me either. But the 2 teeth that touch every time you bite down? That's a whole 'nother story. That would be a big problem for me and that would be what I would want to discuss with the ortho. If they didn't give me an answer that satisfied my concerns properly, I would go get a second opinion BEFORE they come off. Other than those two touching teeth, the rest of them look really good! And for the record, I like the quirky differences with some of your teeth, they are all straight but they do have some uniqueness which in my book makes them better. 8)

Amanda6

#6 Post by Amanda6 »

As you had only 3 premolars removed as a child, I assume you still have the forth premolar as an odd tooth. That would make the bite uneven and out of line I would think, and make it hard to get the midline correct with an odd tooth.
I had 4 premolars removed with orthodontics as a child, and am now having orthodontics done again to correct my bite. I am having the orthodontics again because the ortho I had as a child has caused TMJ dysfunction (jaw joint), because my lower jaw was positioned too far back and too high up, when I bite. The ortho I am having done now is with a Functional Orthodontist who takes the function of the TMJ into consideration. When you bite the lower jaw has to be correctly positioned otherwise it can put a strain on the TMJ, so this is what's more important. They don't look lined up well to me, but it's hard to tell with pictures. If you aren't happy with your bite, I would seek a second opinion before having the braces removed.

libbylou

#7 Post by libbylou »

You know - being absolutely really honest now - I think they are lovely! I think your teeth look really nice and straight in a very natural sort of way, without looking like veneers or dentures which some overcorrected teeth can sometimes appear to look like? It would be interesting to see what they look like straight on, as I think they will look just perfect in a natural smile.
If your bite doesn't feel right, then thats different, and I can really understand your concerns. But cosmetically - your teeth look lovely, and I bet your natural smile looks just beautiful. Maybe just a tiny bit of contouring in places will make you feel happier with them?
Good luck! :D

sharp

#8 Post by sharp »

PLEASE go see someone else!!!!

Get another opinion. If your mouth isn't closing properly, that's a total joke and you need that fixed!

Some of these orthodontists really have no clue what they're doing - they just kind of try things and see what happens. Sometimes they tell you you're finished just to get rid of you, I've had this happen to me.

Seriously, some orthodontists just want cash, and if you've paid it all off already, you're a burden to them, so they want you gone. Trust me, this happened to me. Some just care more about buying a Spam than fixing your teeth.

Don't take them off until you're satisfied.

amanda2040

#9 Post by amanda2040 »

I had my braces taken off two weeks ago and like you I have gaps in my bite, but I have the gaps because my mouth/jaw is so narrow and I refused to let them do the corrective surgery. Unless they have told you the reason why they're willing to take the braces off and leave you with the gaps between your top and bottoms I would definitely make sure they give you a straight answer. Plus, the orthodontist should shave your teeth so they will be more even when finished. Don't worry...your teeth look very, very good!!

londug

#10 Post by londug »

Thank you all for your honest & candid feedback! I am usually a rational person, but after the last ortho visit, could not see straight....for some reason I get really emotional over my teeth!

If in the next 3 weeks, my teeth still have gaps between uppers & lowers and my bite feels off and my ortho wants my braces off, I will press her for answers and will get a second opinion before letting her take them off.

Thanks again - I can calm down now! :wink:

rhuj

#11 Post by rhuj »

I think if teeth look great! Like u I won't achieve the perfect smile or midline but I think u look good. Still wouldnt hurt to get them to explain why they want u finished .... Good luck x

Loztredders

#12 Post by Loztredders »

I think your teeth look fantastic. Though I do appreciate the fact that you want the best results possible so it's only natural to have concerns about slight imperfections. However, I can honestly say that your teeth are lovely, if mine look any way near to yours when finished I'm going to be over the moon :-)

BracedSurgeryStudent

#13 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

WOW! Your ortho makes me wonder :-+ :-= If I had her I'd tell her just like this "Look I really don't feel comfortable to get my braces off, I mean Dr. so and so, have you even seen these gaps? I think you need to take a better look I mean these are being paid for and I want this to be worth while." And see what they say and be nice about it too. If they suck at giving you an answer make sure you go get some free consultations with other orthos.
Jenn Medeiros