Dry lips

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

prose

Dry lips

#1 Post by prose »

Today was my bracing day, and at 46 years old, the way my mouth feels is very strange. My biggest concern right now is the dryness of my lips. The ortho didn't mention this. Is this something that goes away or do I need to be doing something?

Moxie

Re: Dry lips

#2 Post by Moxie »

I've had lower metal Damon's on for almost three months now and upper clear for almost one month. I have found my lips to be dry since day one. Somedays it seems to be worse than others. I now have lip balm stashed everywhere I can, on my desk at work, in my purse, next to the bed at home. I have increased my water consumption considerably and don't have much issue with my mouth being dry but the lips are still in need of care.

Lia77

#3 Post by Lia77 »

I had dry lips for the first week. But they soon went back to normal! Just bring lip balm everywhere with you :)

belistic10

#4 Post by belistic10 »

hi congrats on your bracing day :) i havent had my lips too much dryer than normal, but i have been using a nivea lip balm which helps if i feel i need it :)

AM21

#5 Post by AM21 »

I've had dry lips since having brace. I just try to keep lip balm on them. Burt's Bees with mango butter is amazing as well as the nivea brand lip balm, they def. do a good job.
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

catgyrl

#6 Post by catgyrl »

I agree with AM21 - Burt's Bees is awesome! I've never tried the Mango Butter, but I am currently using Burt's Bees Honeysuckle. It's very slightly tinted, so I don't feel like I need to apply lipstick or lip gloss (which comes off quickly, anyway), and it makes my lips REALLY soft!

Chuck1026

#7 Post by Chuck1026 »

I am 45 and just past month 2 of my Damon braces. I had dry, chapped lips in the beginning, but it cleared up --- until I went to Las Vegas for four days around Halloween. The arid location had me hunting down lip meds at the CVS on the strip, LOL. A few days back home and all is normal again.

If you travel to a dry place, carry lip meds!!!

Chuck

reynolk

#8 Post by reynolk »

Congrats on you braces. I also experience the same thing and no matter how much carmex I applied, it didn't seem to help. I does pass in time though.

phuongie

#9 Post by phuongie »

Congrats on getting braces! I'm in my fourth month of braces and dry lips still affect me, I use SoftLips and ChapStick, both work well and keep my lips moisturised throughout the day.