Hello, newbie not yet braced

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cassandra

Hello, newbie not yet braced

#1 Post by Cassandra »

I'm new here, been looking at the forum the last few days in the run up to my appointment. My ortho recommended Damon3 for me partly as I have a narrow arch top & bottom, among other reasons. I went to the same ortho practice last year and saw a different man who said he wanted to take 1 tooth out at the bottom, which would leave me with a central bottom tooth as there would be an odd number. He told nobody ever looks at people's bottom teeth -but these are the ones people see when I speak! He was going to fit me with Inspire Ice. I wasn't keen on the idea of having a tooth taken out to leave an odd number, I was going to bring this up with him at the time, and if he didn't agree I wasn't going to go ahead.

I went back to the orthodontists' to apply for the loan to get the work done, but I was refused the credit :( This was a year ago and I'm REALLY hoping my application will be successful for the credit this time as I much prefer the new ortho! The new orthodontist says I won't need any teeth taken out, as I have 2 teeth missing at the top, which is a huge bonus. I understood him much better too.. he also said he would keep the quote I had last year for the Inspire Ice as it's cheaper than the Damon3 which I thought was great of him.

I'm going back to apply for the credit on Wednesday, I'm really hoping I get it otherwise I'm going to have to wait another 2 years to save up. I'm 33 now and desperate to find the confident 'me' that's been hiding behind my horrible teeth all this time!

Skylines

Re: Hello, newbie not yet braced

#2 Post by Skylines »

Good luck with the credit approval! I really hope you're approved! :) I just got my top braces on yesterday, so I'm pretty new to this too.
Lets hope this all works out for the best!

Sevilon

#3 Post by Sevilon »

Good luck with the credit! But you know what- waiting 2 years is not the worst case scenario. Get it done when you can, and it will boost your confidence. I have had dentists talk to me about removing/filing down and capping teeth to make them appear straight. I would MUCH rather have my real teeth and put in the time to make them straight. Hang in there!

Cassandra

#4 Post by Cassandra »

Thanks :) I'm staying positive- if it doesn't happen this time, it will happen at some point. I believe everything happens for a reason & if the time isn't right then I just have to go with the flow :)

belistic10

#5 Post by belistic10 »

goodluck i hope you can get the credit so you can start treatment very soon! maybe things are different where you are but here i am actually on a interest free payment plan through the orthodontic clinic, which is great since i dont have any extras cover to help me pay for it! (we are in south australia) just a thought, maye ring around just in case theres another option?

Cassandra

#6 Post by Cassandra »

I didn't get the credit :( I went to the bank straight after to ask advice and they told me because I have a joint mortgage with 2 other people (my dad & my partner) that I would never be able to get any credit because they work it out as if I'm paying it ALL myself, which is ridiculous because I'm only paying 20% of it. Basically on paper it looks as though I pay more on my mortgage than I earn every month. I'm so gutted... but trying to stay positive. Just came back from holiday and my teeth look awful in the pics, I'm fighting hard to stay positive though.

kiwibug

#7 Post by kiwibug »

I'm a newbie as well. Haven't ever been able to afford it, now finally made an appointment. Know it needs to be done, but I'm pretty nervous, don't do well with drs and dentists lol. Good luck with yours!

belistic10

#8 Post by belistic10 »

oh that sucks!! :( i dont know if it will help but some orthodontists can do payment plans inhouse interest free (so no credit checks etc) My ortho is doing exactly that for me. I paid $350 aussie dollars up front and then make weekly or fortnightly repayments to them over a 30mth period (they were really nice and did it over a bit longer for us to make it abit more affordable) goodluck

Cassandra

#9 Post by Cassandra »

The credit was with the ortho, it's the only plan they offer. I got a letter from my credit card company saying they had made a mistake on my credit history, they had put that an item that had been paid as UNPAID and this was on my credit file. I called Experian and they said it was more likely that this was the cause of me being turned down rather than the mortgage. I've had this item cleared and I'm going to call the ortho to see if I can go apply again, hopefully they will let me as theirs is the only interest free credit I can hope to get. I'm really, really hoping I will be successful this time!

belistic10

#10 Post by belistic10 »

hope you can reapply! goodluck

reynolk

#11 Post by reynolk »

I have my fingers crossed for you.