Finally getting bottom braces!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

njkonert

Finally getting bottom braces!

#1 Post by njkonert »

On Tuesday, I am finally getting my bottom braces on. I got the top braces in April 2011 but because I have a deep overbite, I needed to wait to get my bottom braces until there was some room between my upper and lower teeth. I am a little nervous... as I will back to using wax… more pain. But at least my treatment is progressing…. Wish me luck!

ArchWired28

Re: Finally getting bottom braces!

#2 Post by ArchWired28 »

Good luck! It will be bad, but tolerable. Stocking on the liquid foods and ibuprofen will help you survive those awful several weeks. Funny enough, a little bit of alcohol with dinner helped me manage pain as well. I am not an addictive person, but a bottle of beer or a glass of wine was helpful. I have now stopped, but whatever works... Good luck again!
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

drgnchsr36

#3 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I agree, for some reason the bottom braces are worse than the top... but after a week or so, should be OK!

Hang in there!

ArchWired28

#4 Post by ArchWired28 »

Maybe because they have shorter roots? Somebody mentioned that, I have no idea if it's true but bottoms do hurt a lot :( And it took me much longer than one week to have the pain subside. But it's been around 2 months and is ok now.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

EbonyQ

#5 Post by EbonyQ »

That might be because the mandibular (bottom jaw) has a much harder bone tissue that maxilla (upper jaw).
Harder bone = need more force.

[/url]

njkonert

#6 Post by njkonert »

So, the bottom braces are on. They also removed some of my top brackets (taking them off was quite scary... they just use pillars and pull them off) and they placed the top brackets in different locations on my teeth. And the added bite pads... What a pain! I thought bite pads would be soft.. but no, these are such a pain. My teeth don't touch any more.... how are you suppose to eat. The next couple months are going to be interesting. Any suggestions on how and what to eat with bite pads.... I think I am going to starve.

ArchWired28

#7 Post by ArchWired28 »

Eat liquid foods. You might be surprised but bite pads may even be helpful, since for me, lower front teeth hitting the uppers provoked such a pain that I wanted to cry.

drgnchsr36

#8 Post by drgnchsr36 »

ArchWired28 wrote:Eat liquid foods. You might be surprised but bite pads may even be helpful, since for me, lower front teeth hitting the uppers provoked such a pain that I wanted to cry.
Yep, teeth clashing hurts a lot. I've had that happen a few times ...even with the molar buildups.

You get used to the bite pads .. just takes a bit of time .. eat soft foods and it won't be so bad. You will get back to eating whatever you want, just in the beginning it's tuff to get used to.