One Month In

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Skylines

One Month In

#1 Post by Skylines »

Okay, so I've had my top braces on for about 1 month and a week now, and my teeth still look just the same.
I haven't noticed any changes whatsoever, and I'm feeling a little bit discouraged.
A couple of my close friends have told me that their teeth changed drastically within 2 months time, but I just can't see any changes with mine.

Blah. :( When did you start seeing real changes?
☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮
~Top metal braces went on October 6, 2011
~Bottom metal braces on June 3, 2012
☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮

phuongie

Re: One Month In

#2 Post by phuongie »

Don't be discouraged, everyone is different and changes will come in time, they're not always the most noticeable ones but they are moving little by little. I didn't see my results until a little over a week but the results will come I'm only in my 4th month and during the course of the time I did see changes. I guarantee you changes will come, you just have to be patient with your teeth!

Harshmellow

#3 Post by Harshmellow »

Have you taken pictures from when you first started and now? If you compare them they probably have improved but you won't necessarily notice if you're checking your teeth every time you walk past a mirror hehe. :P

ArchWired28

#4 Post by ArchWired28 »

I have NOT seen any noticeable difference in one month. Not even in two actually, and not at all until my bottoms were installed at 12 weeks. At which point I started to think that no changes were actually better :lol:
Hang in there. I think only those people who have very crowded top teeth see the results that fast. If you have any bite issues, like overbite or underbite, and pretty straight teeth, it is unlikely for you to see fast results. As my ortho says, sometimes slower IS better :D
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

Moxie

#5 Post by Moxie »

I didn't really see any change in the first month but about six weeks in I realized the dental floss was slipping between my lower teeth easily. That had never happened before, it was always a real chore to wiggle it in and often resulted in the floss breaking as the teeth were so tight together. I can now at 3 months see that the lower teeth are in a much better alignment than they were. There's still a long way to go yet but it does give me hope that things are moving and improving!!

belistic10

#6 Post by belistic10 »

i am one month in and also i cannot see any change :( i understand its a bit discouraging because i feel the same way at the moment! seems like pointless pain at the moment. :gavel: but i am sure we will both see changes over the coming months which will help!!

CountessDeSangre

#7 Post by CountessDeSangre »

My friend told me she saw some visible change 8 weeks into my treatment. I didn't see any progress until about 12 weeks in. But I have been taking pictures now and then and looking at the first pictures and looking at my teeth NOW I've come a long way. Not long enough but it still astounds me how much has changed.

You definitely need to take pictures periodically to really notice the difference because looking in the mirror each and every day will show no results.

My Blog: http://metalmouthmisfit.blogspot.com/

Crafter

#8 Post by Crafter »

I about 6 weeks into treatment and until very recently I did not see any change at all!! I never took pictures so I was just looking at the mirror.

My ortho, every time I visit her she always claims things like "ooohhh look at that premolar!! it looks so good!" and I was like "what are you talking about?? They look just the same to me, are you trying to make me feel better?"

BUT,

Now I really see what she means, my teeth have moved a lot! (far from the goal, obviously). The bad thing is that I feel I am developing a more pronunced open bite, but they are really aligning (they are suppossed to be aligned first by opening my bite -I had no extractions, and then she will work on my overjet).

I am trying not to feel discouraged yet. It is just over a month in a 10 month estimate. I am looking forward to check by the 3rd month. I've heard that your teeth align quite fast, but you spend a good portion of your treatment getting the overjet corrected.

Be patient :)

CountessDeSangre

#9 Post by CountessDeSangre »

Crafter wrote:I about 6 weeks into treatment and until very recently I did not see any change at all!! I never took pictures so I was just looking at the mirror.

My ortho, every time I visit her she always claims things like "ooohhh look at that premolar!! it looks so good!" and I was like "what are you talking about?? They look just the same to me, are you trying to make me feel better?"

BUT,

Now I really see what she means, my teeth have moved a lot! (far from the goal, obviously). The bad thing is that I feel I am developing a more pronunced open bite, but they are really aligning (they are suppossed to be aligned first by opening my bite -I had no extractions, and then she will work on my overjet).

I am trying not to feel discouraged yet. It is just over a month in a 10 month estimate. I am looking forward to check by the 3rd month. I've heard that your teeth align quite fast, but you spend a good portion of your treatment getting the overjet corrected.
Be patient :)
Fudge! That must be why I'm stuck here for three years... :paperbag:

My Blog: http://metalmouthmisfit.blogspot.com/

Webtheman

#10 Post by Webtheman »

I am about five months into treatment and I didn't notice any changes until about the third month. Now, my teeth look worse than they did before braces. My bottom teeth are almost perfect but the tops are still jacked up; but getting better.

kennyandrew85

#11 Post by kennyandrew85 »

After month 3 i was well chuffed. My teeth looked 10 times better already.
Now 6 months in the extraction gaps are starting to close and new gaps are being created between each teeth, so i'm at the 'worse' stage and it's annoying!!
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.