Spacers...again.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kimberleena

Spacers...again.

#1 Post by kimberleena »

I've had braces since October, and I will never forget how awful spacers were. I couldn't bite down for a week. Well, next time I go in, I am getting spacers so they can band my back molars. Has anyone had LESS pain from spacers the second time around? I guess I am hoping for a different experience.

They are also going to reposition my brackets a week after my spacers. I am just frustrated at this point, even though my teeth are looking great.

Doug

#2 Post by Doug »

I went through the same process - front molars spaced and banded, and later on got the back set spaced and banded. In my case I think it was only a matter of a few months between the spacers, and both fairly early in my treatment.
As I recall, it felt pretty much exactly the same both times. Not horrible, just uncomfortable.

But - since you have both already been braced for a while - maybe your tooth ligaments are all nice and loose now, and the spacers will be easier this time, since they will be working against less resistance (?)

I hope your time in spacers passes as quickly as possible. Hang in there.

spragers

#3 Post by spragers »

Well, I had spacers put in (on just one side thankfully) Wednesday morning. Not bad yet, but not more than 30 seconds ago I forgot and bit into a stick of string cheese on the side with spacers. YEOWCH! Still hurts the second time, but not as much.

The first time around, I admit, was horrible. As you said, I couldn't bite down for close to two weeks. Lots of soup :lol:

JettaJoy

#4 Post by JettaJoy »

I didn't have any problems or pain with spacers both times. (2 in the first time, 3 the second time) It was a little sore for maybe a day but I still ate anything I wanted to and even chewed gum with them in. Hopefully it'll go better for you this time around!

Pixie

#5 Post by Pixie »

I'm getting spacers again too, for the exact same reason. Should be fun! Ugh. =/

LynnHowell

#6 Post by LynnHowell »

I found the metal spring-like spacers FAR less painful than the rubber ones. The metal ones feel a bit weird and move a little, but there's minimal pain and I was in awe that my teeth had actually moved with them!
Upper Ceramic: 8/13/04
Lower Metal: 01/13/05
Removed: 4/19/07 (finally!)

Retainers:
Upper Clear Hawley
Lower fixed & Essix
Lower fixed removed 7/06/07 (due to a small space). Lower Fuschia Hawley 7/18/07
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.lynnhowell.com

NikkieElement

#7 Post by NikkieElement »

Wait your surpose to get spacers twice?! Oh great. I just got them yesturday. Oh boy was it painful. Because right after I got them in I had band practice. Oh and is it normal for your gums to swell up when you get spacers? I haven't eaten since noon the other day because of these. Image

LynnHowell

#8 Post by LynnHowell »

Nikkie, you should only get spacers once if your teeth move the first time around (and they're moving all they want to move at that time). In my case, I kept biting through the rubber ones and so they gave me the metal spring-like ones.
Upper Ceramic: 8/13/04
Lower Metal: 01/13/05
Removed: 4/19/07 (finally!)

Retainers:
Upper Clear Hawley
Lower fixed & Essix
Lower fixed removed 7/06/07 (due to a small space). Lower Fuschia Hawley 7/18/07
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.lynnhowell.com

fins

#9 Post by fins »

My spacers hurt just as much as the first time. I can only chew on one side now and that is for soft foods only. One side hasn't kicked in yet (so to speak) but I predict I will be on a liquid diet in the next few days when my remaining side gets as sore as the other :( .

I think the metal spacers are far worse than the elastic ones. The longer the spacers stay in, the more space you will get. I sure don't want my ortho struggling to get the bands on (with my tight teeth).

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#10 Post by nahky »

Im getting them in 8n weeks for the same reason too. how annoying huh? i wonder why they cant just band it the first time...
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

TheSilverSmileChileno

#11 Post by TheSilverSmileChileno »

spacers a pain in the mouth!

10 days with them on, and i can finally start biting my fingers with little pain, so i called to move my next appointment ahead, and gain few days...

i guess the orth will put some elastic but i dont know, well see soon :)
Spacers-7-27-05
Full Braces on-8-15-05
I luv my braces...

Mr. Brace Face

#12 Post by Mr. Brace Face »

I've got a total of eight spacers in my mouth right now - 1st time round! If my ortho tells me that I have to do it a second time around I will SCREAM!
They are currently between the back two molars - I too had wisdom teeth taken out and these little blue bands from hell hurt worse then when I had those extracted!

I swear these things are the handy work of the devil. I tried to eat Egg Foo Young tonight and I actually got two bites in each piece before swallowing. So I'm sure my stomach is like, "what the hizell is going on up there - did you forget you are supposed to CHEW your food??"
Consult & Spacers 9/13/05
Top Wire 9/20/05

Nikkiekoala

#13 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I have to get spacers for the second time in 3 weeks :( Not looking forward to it but glad to hear that you are having less of a time of it second time around. Boy I wish I didn't have to do it again.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

mary oregon

Been there, done that and hated spacers.

#14 Post by mary oregon »

Just reading your posts brings back the memory of those evil little guys. I hated spacers big time and they hurt me both times. I had the sevens banded after the sixes and yes they made me want to pull my hair out both times. They hurt the minute they put them in and made me have dreams that someone was pulling out all my teeth. It hurt for about 5 days and then was just a pain getting food stuck in the spaces.
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.

Asia DEE

first time spacers!

#15 Post by Asia DEE »

Hi everyone! im totally new to this, just got my braces/spacers last thursday....my treatment time is said to be 2 year, but i hear that its always longer. but hopefully not,i just have gaps i need closed...anywho..i have spacers on all four back teeth top bottom right left..and its THE WORST PAIN EVER..seriously, i cried trying to eat chicken SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM..ive been eating icecream and juice drinks for 3 days..ONe of my spacers is METal and i just realized it COMPLETELY SEPERATED MY TOOTH, like the spacer is ALL the way between my teeth..the rubber ones havent done that yet..like i said NEw to all this., so if someone could sympathize with me id appreciate it lol

thanks