how long do you brush your teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

anxiousgirl

Re: how long do you brush your teeth?

#16 Post by anxiousgirl »

Pretty sure I heard my ortho say to a newly braced patient at my last appt to brush 6 mins - 3 mins top and 3 mins bottom.
Seems like ages but makes sense to get everywhere clean. Must admit i dont brush for that long.

braces on: 21/02/2011
lower braces off: 20/03/2013
upper braces off: 04/04/2013

UCHIHA

#17 Post by UCHIHA »

Are brushes with rotating action okay?

thanks

TinySmiley

#18 Post by TinySmiley »

this is a great thread because i have often wondered how long you should brush with braces. I take a long time to complete my daily routine 3 times a day and I feel like I am always in the bathroom brushing my teeth!
Invisalign: September 2009-May 2011
Ceramic Braces: May 2011-December 2011

justgotbracessss

#19 Post by justgotbracessss »

3 mins , 3 times a day :D

Blackbeltfundraiser

#20 Post by Blackbeltfundraiser »

Waterpik Ultra (until it runs out of water) and Sonicare quad. I know the Sonicare goes for 2 minutes -- 30 seconds each section.

Pat (48, braces since June 2011)

aidenk

#21 Post by aidenk »

It takes me 4 four minutes or so to brush, and then another 5 minutes to floss thoroughly. Such a pain! I will never complain about having to floss after having my braces off again.

sirwired

#22 Post by sirwired »

This is a great topic:

My routine:

Every time solid food touches my teeth: Flush-n-brush
- Water swish
- Oral Irrigator: WaterPik if I'm home, the wonderul portable Pana-ending-in-sonic (to evade some strange anti-spam measure here) portable when I'm not. This flushes the major chunky stuff down the drain. On the WaterPik, I use the ortho tip. (A small little brush.)
- Brush w/ Toothpaste: (Colgate Sensitive at the moment.) Oral-B when I'm home, manual when I'm not. I brush the face, followed by a round down into the wires and a round up into the wires. I use circular strokes to make sure the bristles scrub all the sides of the bracket, so I can skip the step with the Proxabrush. If I'm at home, it's about two minutes with an Oral-B "sensitive" head (a ring with a few tufts at the center) and another minute with a "Power Tip" which is just a three-tuft head used for tight spaces. That I bounce along the archwires held at about 60 degrees. One pass upwards and another pass downwards. I then use it on those rear molars I can't get at well any other way.
- Listerine

(If it was just liquid calories, I skip the irrigation and Listerine.)

Every evening: Supplement the above with:
A round with the WaterPik regular irrigator tip to massage the gums.
A pass against the gumline with the toothbrush. (Don't want to do that too many times a day, and underneath the gumline won't be made any worse with braces anyway.)
Finish up with ACT instead of Listerine.
A round of flossing w/ Glide Threader

Right now, each round is ALSO supplemented with a rinse with either Rincinol or 10% Carbamide Peroxide drops until my cheeks finish healing.

sirwired

#23 Post by sirwired »

UCHIHA wrote:Are brushes with rotating action okay?

thanks
Yes. As with any brush (electric or manual), don't go to town with the pressure; let the brush do the work. You are removing a soft, toothpaste-soluble biofilm off your teeth; not removing layers of burnt grease from your dishes.

midnight

#24 Post by midnight »

I haven't timed how long i'm taking but it feels like i'm in the bathroom for about 15 mins each time! Rinse mouth, brush teeth for about 2mins i guess, then using the interdental brushes, then flossing, then mouthwash. Going to have to have a look at this water pik thing that i've read about on here too but i couldn't see one in the shops earlier.

Also, sorry if this is a silly question, but on the subject of brushing teeth etc... i've noticed that the Fluorigard/Boots Ortho mouthwash it says to use it once per day only. Is there a reason this mouthwash shouldn't be used twice a day?

crooked rory

#25 Post by crooked rory »

I go for 2 minutes on an electric toothbrush, twice a day. Apparently I am not doing good enough though, since at my dental cleaning yesterday, I had a lot of tartar building up on the back of my teeth. I think I need to floss more frequently, and brush longer. I am going back in 3 months for another cleaning, so I hope I find out I improved :-#)

sirwired

#26 Post by sirwired »

midnight wrote:Also, sorry if this is a silly question, but on the subject of brushing teeth etc... i've noticed that the Fluorigard/Boots Ortho mouthwash it says to use it once per day only. Is there a reason this mouthwash shouldn't be used twice a day?
Non-prescription mouthwashes have a maximum allowed fluoride content and maximum dosage schedule to keep you from applying too much fluoride without consultation with a dentist. Fluoride, if used in truly excessive amounts, can eventually cause health issues.

If your conscientious oral care program (combined with a once-a-day oral fluoride rinse) wards off decalcification, additional fluoride use is simply not necessary.

For myself, I use generic Listerine after meals, and then fluoride rinse at bedtime. But if you want to use a fluoride rinse twice a day, check around more. I know here in the US, the smaller bottles of ACT (the leading fluoride rinse here) are once-a-day, while the larger bottles are twice-a-day rinses (with a lower fluoride concentration, of course.)

fabricsmile

#27 Post by fabricsmile »

I got hard white plains on my back teeths.after the ortognathic surgery I didnt give my best to clean and even with floss ı cant seem to make it work.Bleedings start when I floss in between like in the beginning of the braces.what should ı do to make it right again?

metalsmile

#28 Post by metalsmile »

2 minutes, 3 or 4 times a day.

sirwired

#29 Post by sirwired »

fabricsmile wrote:I got hard white plains on my back teeths.after the ortognathic surgery I didnt give my best to clean and even with floss ı cant seem to make it work.Bleedings start when I floss in between like in the beginning of the braces.what should ı do to make it right again?
It sounds like you have gingivitis. You just need to keep at it, gently flossing every day; your gums should heal in about a week or so.

I highly recommend Glide, if you aren't already using it; it really slides between your teeth if they are tight. Glide also comes in a version with threaders already on the end; I use it, and it's great.

Jano

#30 Post by Jano »

what is a Waterpik please :?: Can anyone recommend a website to get these from in Australia ? Are they plug in or battery ? Portable or something that has to be done over a sink ? ALso I havent seen the brand Glide for floss in Australia , I just have awful floss that cuts the side of my lips and shreds and gets stuck all over the place . :(