Help! NEED OPINIONS (pictures)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mara0167

Help! NEED OPINIONS (pictures)

#1 Post by mara0167 »

I wore braces for 9months but had them taken off because I had to move and wasn't sure that I wanted to continue treatment. Although my teeth are straighter, I still have a significant overbite and overjet and my new dentist thinks I need to get them again. I'm on the fence - especially about whether I want to go through this again, how long it will take, etc. Here are some pics.

Advice/opinions would be much appreciated (from docs as well)!

ArchWired28

Re: Help! NEED OPINIONS (pictures)

#2 Post by ArchWired28 »

You definitely have a class II bite (overbite). I am not sure if in your case this can be fixed non-extraction. Have you been adviced about whether you need extractions or not? How old are you? If under 19 or 20, you might still benefit from an expander or other functional appliance.
While having a class II bite won't kill you, it might cause TMJ problems in the future. I think your best bet is to get an orthodontic consult. If you don't like traditional braces, there might be other options for you, including invisalign and/or linguals. Good luck!
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

sirwired

Re: Help! NEED OPINIONS (pictures)

#3 Post by sirwired »

If it were my mouth, I'd go back into braces. If you didn't go through proper retention, it is likely much of the original work has been lost.

Go for a free consult with an ortho and see what he/she comes up with. However, before you actually pay for a new round of braces, think about why you got out of them the last time, and if you are going to feel that way again. If you don't "buy in" to your treatment plan, your compliance with treatment is likely to less than optimal.