Got braces yesterday but no pain today - something wrong?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

senate

Got braces yesterday but no pain today - something wrong?

#1 Post by senate »

Hi I just got my braces on yesterday evening at 5pm. I was told to expect the pain to kick in approx 4-5hrs later. I have woken up today and to be honest I don't feel any pain at all. If i press my finger against my top/bottom front teeth i feel very slight tenderness. I am actually concerned because I expected to experience what others have - soreness/loose feeling. I don't mean to say i enjoy pain but I would simply take it as a sign something is happening. Should I phone the orthodontis?

sirwired

Re: Got braces yesterday but no pain today - something wrong

#2 Post by sirwired »

When I was a kid it hurt like heck. This round all I felt the next day was a little bit of pressure. Everybody's teeth are different, and I think a lot depends on what's getting fixed and what archwire the ortho starts out with.

senate

#3 Post by senate »

Thanks for reply - I'm to go back in 5 weeks and she did say she might not change the wire. I wonder maybe if she is being super easy with me or something. When i was younger I had braces that clipped around my top teeth that i could take out. That hurt but this doesn't at all so I was worried. My teeth are not crooked. I have an overbite but it has happened because my top teeth bend out, not so much that my jaw goes over. I also want my cannine teeth to be less prominent too.

Its funny because I went online before this and was typing in - DO braces hurt? etc and getting all these pain filled stories. I bought myself 400mg Ibuprofen and Oragel in preperation and used some of my annual leave to get a week off work.

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

Well, enjoy your week of pain-free vacation!

Seriously, don't worry about the schedule or force aggressiveness; it doesn't take much to move teeth. In my case, not only did I not feel much pain the next day, he didn't even schedule my first ligature change (much less wire change) for two months! Orthodontics deals in forces measured in grams or ounces... gentle forces applied 24/7. Any pain is caused by inflammation, not the forces themselves. Maybe you just don't have much of an inflammatory response to the pressure.

If you do have pain from your braces (and this isn't guaranteed), it may come at different times. Some people here complain that certain wire changes hurt, others that the initial bracing hurt. Speaking for myself, as a kid, only the couple days after the bracing was bad; none of my (very few) wire changes caused any pain at all, and elastics were annoying more than anything else.

senate

#5 Post by senate »

Thanks for being reassuring - This is definately a reminder to take a more balanced approach when researching something!

CoryDaniels

#6 Post by CoryDaniels »

Just wait. it will come. I didn't feel any pain until about 2 weeks after getting my braces. I woke up one morning and my teeth hurt for about 1-2 days. After I got my last wire change...I was sore for about 1 week and now my teeth feel normal....beleive me, I don't "enjoy" the pain, but it does make me feel like my teeth are moving and the braces are working.

Don't worry...I have seen the most improvment in my teeth when I wasn't in any pain.

jem

#7 Post by jem »

Gosh Cory, I did not realise there could be such a delay after fitting of braces before any pain kicks in. I am about 10 days in and had assumed that if I was going to have any pain it would have happened by now. I had better make sure I still have some painkillers to hand.

Regards,

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

kennyandrew85

#8 Post by kennyandrew85 »

sounds like you're one of the lucky ones, I too was lucky...
But sooner or later, you will feel THE PAIN. Don't worry though it's not too bad.

I've only ever been like... 'ow' when I bit into a baguette after an adjustment without thinking.
Now I know to test softer foods and work my way up haha
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

zcenteno

#9 Post by zcenteno »

good for you. hmmmm.. well you said your teeth isnt that crooked, so that means movement on your teeth isnt that active since it is in proper arc. what brackets do you use? self-ligating or traditional metal with rubber ligs? some say self ligating brackets are less painful because because the wire just glides with the bracket compared to tradiational that usees rubber ligs that induces much force. :D

senate

#10 Post by senate »

Well they're regular fixed braces with clear brackets - very discreet. I did actually ask about damon braces but the ortho said they were phasing them out. Now though on day 3 I have got a sore leftside cheek and rubbish chewing power. The worst thing is not being able to eat properly and an annoying excess of saliva. Makes me feel like I need ice cold water all the time to make my mouth feel fresher than it does. I shouldn't complain though I realise others have it worse.

Ilikedng

#11 Post by Ilikedng »

I ate a full meal right after I've got my braces on and thought I was a lucky one who was miraculously exempt from any pain.

On the third day I thought my face was hit by a truck...

Swiftystylelove

Re: Got braces yesterday but no pain today - something wrong?

#12 Post by Swiftystylelove »

Me to. I never felt pain except when I brushed my teeth for the first 2-3 days. I'm also worried that it's not working. I never felt any pain except when brushing my teeth

EmilyTravels

#13 Post by EmilyTravels »

I expect it's typical for the orthodontist to start you out in very light "trainer" wires, as mine did me. These cause a lot less pain than later with heavier-duty wires.

djspeece

#14 Post by djspeece »

Just be thankful. As your ortho starts to use heavier arch wires, elastics, and godhelpyou powerchains, you will look back on this as "The good old days :lol: " Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Bracefacemom47

#15 Post by Bracefacemom47 »

I don't get much pain. My teeth just get itchy inside. So weird.