Colors!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

smilingweirdo

Colors!

#1 Post by smilingweirdo »

So, as adults, how many of you have chosen to get colors on their braces and how many go with the gray/silver option?

And why?

Robot Teeth

Re: Colors!

#2 Post by Robot Teeth »

I've had mine for 6 1/2 months (traditional metal upper and lower). I've had a light slate blue color about three times, dark purple once, and now I have a medium/dark blue.

My orthodontist doesn't have many colors that would appeal to a guy, so I'm ordering a few different colors online. I'm going to take them to my next appointment and ask them to use them. If they don't, they don't, and I'm out 20 bucks. Big whoop.

I had silver ligatures put on initially, but I popped a bracket on the way home and had to go right back. I had already decided that I didn't care much for the silver, so I got the light blue. I'm 31, but I look like I'm in my 20's, and I have a pretty colorful personality, so I think I can pull off colors. I like colorful things, and I like my braces!

kitsune

#3 Post by kitsune »

While I initially chose clear/silver ligs, I opted for colorful ones on subsequent visits. I figure that people are going to notice whether I have braces anyway, so why not have a bit of fun with it? As a nice little bonus, some of the colors can make your teeth look whiter! :wink:

So far I have had:
Baby blue (multiple times)
Orange and black (around Halloween...never again)
Pastel purple

I am scheduled for an adjustment tomorrow...not sure what I'll end up with! I was thinking a nice, bright blue since I've seen it on some of the other people here and it ends up looking quite nice.

AM21

#4 Post by AM21 »

I decided to go with colors because I didn't really care for the clear ligs I originally started out with and I figured it would be fun to have colorful braces. :)

So far I've had:
Clear
Teal
red and black
purple

And I currently have a Pink powerchain.
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

prose

#5 Post by prose »

I'm just beginning week thirteen and I've only had gray/silver. I work in a professional office and wonder if the colored ones would be inappropriate.

Roboto

#6 Post by Roboto »

I work as a substitute teacher in middle & high schools and am a young-looking 25. I'm afraid to get fun colors since the braces already make it difficult to tell me apart from the students lol. I think if I had my own class every day, then I could make it a fun thing, but as a substitute I have to somehow maintain a level of authority and colored ligs are too unprofessional in this instance :(

Robot Teeth

#7 Post by Robot Teeth »

prose wrote:I'm just beginning week thirteen and I've only had gray/silver. I work in a professional office and wonder if the colored ones would be inappropriate.

Awww, come onnnn! The place would have to be absolutely dreadful to be that snooty about things!

kitsune

#8 Post by kitsune »

prose wrote:I'm just beginning week thirteen and I've only had gray/silver. I work in a professional office and wonder if the colored ones would be inappropriate.
Hey, I work in a very conservative corporate-type place (suits every day!) in NYC and nobody has had any problems with mine! :wink:

Bracer215

#9 Post by Bracer215 »

I also started out with the silver but soon changed to colors. I love them. It's fun. I have had lavender which I really liked. For Christmas I had a red powerchain on top and red and green on the bottom. Oct - Nov was orange. Now I have blue. Might do pink when I go in 2 weeks. :heart:

sirwired

#10 Post by sirwired »

Silver for me. While I don't work in a suits-and-tie type office, I'm an engineer who occasionally has to travel to speak to customers. I'm pretty young for my responsibilities, and I cannot imagine visiting a client wearing colored ligs, which would make me look even younger.

GillyWeed

#11 Post by GillyWeed »

I love seeing adults with colored ligs! I have my first cosult this coming week and I can't wait to make my brace date so I can start getting colors. You have to live with them for 2 years, might as well have fun with them:)

sea54change

#12 Post by sea54change »

Silver and gray? I didn't even know those were an option! :wink:

I jumped right in and had lime green for the first month! It matched our company's logo color.

Other colors I've had:
teal
dark blue
orange & black
purple
red & green

I'm a landscape architect and meet with clients all the time. I never had one comment about my braces or the colors during the entire time I had them on.
Bottom braces: 9-1-10
Top Braces: 12-1-10, enamel
Debrace date:Top 12-12-11
Bottom: 1-5-2012

kaddessi

#13 Post by kaddessi »

I started with silver and switched to black 3 months ago. I love the black and I believe I'm keeping it for the rest of my treatment. I work at a cardiology office at the front desk and look younger than I am.

BracedInNOLA

#14 Post by BracedInNOLA »

I just got mine, and got clear - though I'm thinking about colors next time around. I'm an engineer at a consulting firm, but 47, so no worries about being 'too young' for my position. Plus I work with data management software, so being younger is probably a good thing! But then I have no problems 'showing my individuality' - and may even go purple/green/gold next year at this time, for Mardi Gras!

But I could see resisting colors if I worked in a super-corporate/courtroom environment.

t1ckalish

#15 Post by t1ckalish »

I've had my braces for 6 months now, started out with silver ligs and a clear powerchain, but I LOVE curry and they discolour very easily. I had red and green ligs for christmas, and I currently have purple which are quite cool.

I have kids and it's fun to discuss mummy's new colours, or what colours will mummy get this time. My eldest (4) is very interested in what's going on with mummy's teeth so I figure it's a good learning experience should she need braces in the future :-)