First week "care kit" ??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tinkc

First week "care kit" ??

#1 Post by tinkc »

I'm getting braced on Tuesday morning!! :jump:

So, Monday I need to go grocery shopping and get any care items I'll need for the first few days.

What do you suggest for food?

What care items do you suggest? Special flossers, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc?? I already bought a little compact mirror to keep in my purse so I can check to make sure food isn't stuck in my braces.

sunnylocks

Re: First week "care kit" ??

#2 Post by sunnylocks »

Congrats to you and welcome to the club!

There's lots of information in the "new to braces" section of the site...this is just a small section of the FAQ

"Most people who have braces carry a little dental kit to help them in such situations. A dental kit should contain a dental pick, some floss and floss threaders, a toothbrush, and some toothpaste. A travel cup is also a good idea. It is easy to put one together yourself."

This is exactly what I had in my travel kit after I had my braces installed. When I went to the grocery I bought soup, eggs, yogurt, soft fruits like bananas or oranges...it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and my waterpik was a lifesaver until I got better at flossing with the threader.

Hope everything goes well on Monday and I wish you the best on your journey!

tfischer

#3 Post by tfischer »

when I went to have my upper braces put on, the dr gave me a bag with all kinds of stuff in it - just like the stuff you need for your kit. I had a little bag at home to throw it all in and it just stays in my purse. You may want to check with the ortho and see if they provide any "goodies" for you. It was nice because it gives you the option of trying different products and finding which you like better ( for me it was the floss threaders) - Hope all goes well!!!!

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

Your ortho should give you the basics of a toothbrush, toothpaste, wax, floss, and floss threaders. I went a little more elaborate... my total haul:

For home:
Waterpik
Glide Threader Floss
Oral-B Vitality w/ Ortho Essentials Kit (the ortho essentials kit is available at smilox.com for a good price)
Colgate Sensitive Enamel Protect Toothpaste
Listerine
ACT (This turned out to be a bad idea... it's a long story; suffice it to say, I don't use it any more)
Chap Stick
Proxabrush

For work:
Pana-sonic portable irrigator
Plastic cup
More toothpaste
Toothbrush in a holder
Chap Stick
Portable Proxabrush-like things
A few strands of the threader floss
A Dopp Kit to carry it all in

For travel:
Same as work, for the car I spend the most time in, the same minus irrigator for the car I spend less time in.

I ended up needing Rincinol and Carbamide Peroxide drops to ease the raw cheeks, but not everybody will need that.

tfischer

#5 Post by tfischer »

To Sirwired - Why no ACT? I use ACT so I am curious....

Goofy

#6 Post by Goofy »

Hi! I've been stocking up on bananas, yoghurt, rice pudding, fruit puree (in the baby food section in my supermarket!), and made some vegetable soup. Rice is easy. Scrambled eggs are filling, and Super Noodles are also good, because you don't need to chew much. (I'm not sure if you're in the UK though). I would definitely recommend a travel care kit - I have a folding toothbrush, toothpaste, mini bottle of mouthwash, wax, ibuprofen and lip balm. And all in a pretty case, obviously :)

Good luck!

sirwired

#7 Post by sirwired »

tfischer wrote:To Sirwired - Why no ACT? I use ACT so I am curious....
In some people (and apparently I am one of them), one of the ingredients, Cetyl-Pyrindium Chloride (CPC) can cause staining of the teeth. (CPC is a common mouthwash ingredient; it's a water-soluable antiseptic that helps the breath. The antiseptics in Listerine are not water-soluable, which is why Listerine has alcohol in it.) After only a month of using it the hygienist at my general dentist really had to scrape away at it. My general dentist replaced ACT with prescription toothpaste (1.1% NaF, vs. 0.24% NaF in regular toothpaste) and re-mineralization paste (GC MI Paste Plus.)

workingmomma

#8 Post by workingmomma »

Hi Tinkc,

Hope all went well on your braceday! I just wanted to mention that I used slimfast shakes alot. Especially the first week, because it was such a pain to eat anything semisolid.

Workingmomma
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

I'm already counting down the days until I get these off.

tinkc

#9 Post by tinkc »

Thanks for all the info.

@workingmama - yeah, eating is proving to be somewhat difficult. I'm starting to think I'm going to lose 20lbs without much effort just from having these braces on. Actually, it's not too bad except I have these 2 bite turbos right behind my two front teeth. It's like two sharp plastic forks sticking down from the roof of my mouth. Nearly impossible to talk and I've only ate a large milkshake so far today. Counting down the days until those can be removed. Other than that, I really have no other complaints.