Train Tracks - 4 Months In

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbbards

Re: Train Tracks - 4 Months In

#16 Post by bbbards »

Hi to the UK people! No offence to everyone else - its just having braces in the UK as an adult is less... prevalent ....than other places like the States I think. Maybe the stereotype that we have worse teeth - as brilliantly depicted in the Simpsons episode when Lisa gets fitted - has some truth in it.

I'm three months in (non NHS) with my Damon upper brace and just got my lower brace fitted today. So its back to the numbness, sore lips and eating very carefully for me. The lower one is way more visible that the upper so I'm going to have to get my head around that.

So t1ckalish and pidgiepops have you recommended to floss? My ortho hasn't mentioned it at all while many on here have been and subsequently discuss methodology a lot. I'd be really interested to hear what maintenance you've been advised to undertake.

t1ckalish

#17 Post by t1ckalish »

Hi bbbards,

Congrats on the lowers! I hear damons are supposed to be good and quite quick by all accounts :-)

So flossing, when my uppers were fitted I was shown how to brush my teeth with the braces on but wasn't advised to floss. Currently I'm brushing 3x per day with a whitening toothpaste and using mouthwash before I go to bed after brushing. I'm 6 months in and have just had a scale/polish appt with the regular dentist who says I'm doing mighty fine, no build up etc. I brush quite aggressively tho and always have, so maybe this is helping.

bbbards

#18 Post by bbbards »

Hi t1ckalish

Thanks for the info on flossing. Your routine sounds pretty similar to me. I use one of those little dental brushes after eating to help dislodge food. And I always rinse after eating which I find helps. Visiting my normal dentist soon for a check up and clean (my first since being fitted) so fingers crossed I get the same reaction as you....although they always nag...I mean advise...about flossing.