You ceramic, your kid metal. What we teach, preach???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

megan1976

You ceramic, your kid metal. What we teach, preach???

#1 Post by megan1976 »

Sorry for the subject, but I didn't know how to word this and get the most people to view.

I don't have kids who will be needing braces any time soon, but I was just thinking would it be hypocritical to teach and preach what you look like isn't important and it's ok to have braces when you, maybe, got ceramic braces for vanity sake while your kid got metal?

It's one thing if technology improves the appearance of a medical device, but something else if you won't wear something you feel is ugly yet tell others there is nothing wrong with it. I've got a brochure in fact on orthodontics and in it, the adults have clear and the kids have metal as if there is something wrong with an adult with metal braces. The industry is even reinforcing this belief! Is it purely a finacial thing because ceramics typically cost a little more so they want to show adults with them to squeeze some extra cash out of the patient? If so, why not show kids with ceramics, nobody is more worried about their appearance than a teenager - which is wrong, but they would sell more ceramics. I saw an invisalign teen commercial the other day on tv and personally I think that is awful. If it's the best technology for a child fine, but they aren't even marketing it that way. They are saying braces are ugly, anyone who wears them is also ugly, and you will have no confidence or social life with braces. That's not a good message for teens and of course not true. Everyone is different. Fat, skinny, tall, short, glasses, no glasses, wheelchairs, amuputees, braces, blonde, bald, whatever. Barbie in other words is not what every little girl should aspire to be! If we truly believe what is on the inside is what counts shouldn't we live our life that way? I think society would be better off if we practiced more of what we preached and didn't blow it off as "that's just how the world works unfortunately."

I don't feel metal braces look bad and ceramics look better, both look like braces and both are there own look. If that makes sense. I see it more as contacts vs. glasses, rather than ugly vs. pretty. Anyone have any opinions???

Friendly debate here please, I'm not judging anyone or their beliefs! : )

ArchWired28

Re: You ceramic, your kid metal. What we teach, preach???

#2 Post by ArchWired28 »

Oh, old topic again, but this time with an interesting twist :wink:
Why don't you (or anybody else) give your child ceramic braces as well if he/she so desires? That would be the answer to your question - beauty is subjective. Not everyone wants to be skinny or wear contacts vs glasses, as not everyone prefers ceramic over metal. I personally had a choice for ceramic (same price), but went metal because I'd rather they move teeth faster than look more aesthetically pleasing (again, not to me - but to everyone else). And no amount of TV brainwashing can change my opinion. But I do agree, the advertising pressure aimed at the kids and teens is enormous. Indistry nowadays would do anything to get that mighty buck and they care less about the kids. What we as parents can do is teach them self-confidence and self-respect regardless of how you look or what braces you wear... It's hard, I know, but we have to do our best.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

There are good reasons to usually use metal in kids vs. ceramics:

1) Ceramics are larger/thicker than their metal counterparts
2) Children are notoriously poor with proper orthodontic hygiene; this means stained ligs, stuck food sticking out like a beacon, etc.
3) Metals are sturdier and easy to replace if they break or (more likely) de-bond. Ceramics are brittle and just break; removing the remains is a real pain. Given the propensity of authority-rebelling teenagers to not follow instructions and eat "forbidden" foods, the likelihood of damage is higher.
4) Braces are more common in teenagers than adults; a teenager simply won't stand out very much for having braces on, even if they are visible.

Of course invisilign marketing materials talk about how ugly braces are... Invisilign aligners is all they sell. If you don't get Invisilign, you are going to get your teeth straightened with a product made by some other company.

Crafter

#4 Post by Crafter »

sirwired wrote:There are good reasons to usually use metal in kids vs. ceramics:

1) Ceramics are larger/thicker than their metal counterparts
2) Children are notoriously poor with proper orthodontic hygiene; this means stained ligs, stuck food sticking out like a beacon, etc.
3) Metals are sturdier and easy to replace if they break or (more likely) de-bond. Ceramics are brittle and just break; removing the remains is a real pain. Given the propensity of authority-rebelling teenagers to not follow instructions and eat "forbidden" foods, the likelihood of damage is higher.
4) Braces are more common in teenagers than adults; a teenager simply won't stand out very much for having braces on, even if they are visible.

Of course invisilign marketing materials talk about how ugly braces are... Invisilign aligners is all they sell. If you don't get Invisilign, you are going to get your teeth straightened with a product made by some other company.

Sirwired, I could not put it in better words. I completely agree in all 4 reasons.

I saw this post earlier today and didn't now how to answer. To me is not a matter of hypocrisy or ugliness, is more a matter of practical decisions when you are a parent. I never saw the metal vs ceramic in kids as an issue at all. Likely a kid will swallow a bracket or break it. Also, as you pointed, it is common to see a teenager on metal tracks. No biggie. But for adults it is different. For us there is the stand out factor and we do have more complicated social interactions than kids (employers, business meetings, etc).

ArchWired28

#5 Post by ArchWired28 »

I respectfully disagree with the above posters. While a kid or a teenager may be statistically more likely to engage in risky brace-related behaviors, stereotyping all kids or especially teenagers in that category is not right, in my opinion. I personally have known teenagers that were much more reasonable, understanding and cooperative than many adults. Maybe I even was such a teenager myself.
But nevertheless. I am up for giving the kids and especially teenagers an opportunity to make choices and deal with the consequences. If my kid wants ceramic braces, they can have it; however, I would warn them about the increased need to be clean and careful. If they break the bracket due to negligence from their side - that bracket gets replaced by a metal one. Maybe I will even give them a meltdown the 1st time they break their appliance, but after that - I will act according to the rules. That will teach them that every choice has its consequences, good or bad. Choose to be clean - enjoy ceramic; choose to be messy and break the rules - go metal. Of course it is bothersome, but I think is way better than simply saying "you can't have it because you are too young or not mature/careful/responsible enough". This is like accusing them of something ahead of time. If I already have been accused, I have no stimulus to behave any better.

And sorry, I have to disagree about the "stand out factor". While it is obviously so that adults have more complicated social interactions, I disagree that choosing ceramic over metal braces have anything to do with that - objectively. Subjectively (i.e. I will feel better/more comfortable knowing that my braces are ceramic/less visible) - sure. Actually, teenagers may be even more vulnerable to that factor as they usually care more what others think of them. We, as adults, should realize (earlier or later) that nobody was even thinking about us on the first place :lol:

P.S. I am a parent, so I do know how important it is in parenting to make practical choices. But it is my understanding that teaching kids making their own choices, follow the rules and deal with the consequences is even more important. But this is just my opinion, don't hold it against me too much :lol:
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

mudshell1

#6 Post by mudshell1 »

I opted for ceramic, by daughter said, "No way! I want metal!" Know why? Because metal braces are what all the "cool" kids have. We would have paid the extra money if she wanted them because there is no way I want her to go through what I went through the first time I wore braces.

My question is when did braces become a status symbol?

plugnickel69

#7 Post by plugnickel69 »

This really is an interesting topic. I can remember back to my first braces experience some 50 years ago. There was pretty much only one way to go if you needed anything more than a hawley type appliance, and that was full metal bands and brackets on everything. When I went through it many other kids did have them, but braces certainly were not as prevalent as they are today. So basically there were o alternatives, and certainly there was no advertising. As I look back, even though I went through the braces process in a very formative part of my life--early teens--the worst I can remember as far as social issues was a girl one grade ahead once saying to me in chorus, "My, you really do have a mouthful!" My response was, "Yes, I do." And I did. The irony was that she also had a mouthful of metal, and I always felt bad for her because she had white spots all over her teeth. In reality any negative social implications were only in my own mind, and I always had a girlfriend of some sort throughout my experience, though none with braces.

Fast forward. Three kids, grown now, all had metal braces. No social problems, but there were no other choices then.

All the advertising today is unbelievable. The fact that invisalign advertises that metal braces are unsightly is unconscionable, especially given that many of their providers are willing to provide invisalign inappropriately. I had a consult with one of those. Metal braces today can be pretty good looking. The dressing up of braces with colored ligs certainly indicates that braces are acceptable in the social context and akin to jewelry. I'm glad that metal braces are the in thing with many teens. In your face invisalign! That said, the fact that there is an invisalign alternative for those that would be embarrassed by a more visable alternative is a good thing. I feel bad for those that need treatment, whether it be for functionality or cosmetics, but either can't afford it or afraid of some social stigma. Too bad that we all get caught in the corporate greed to make a buck.

For me, a professional male in my middle sixties, I would not have had a problem with metal braces. Thought they would go well with my gray hair! But had the opportunity to get ceramics top and bottom at a reasonable cost, so went that way. Am glad because I think they look real good, and feel very positive about the whole experience.

Bottom line is that we're all different. We all parent differently as well, though unfortunately not always in the best interests of our children. For most of us, the cost of braces for our kids is a great burden. I would not have been able to afford an extra $350-$750 in those days. But I actually see nothing wrong with a parent making a decision to go with ceramics for herself while insisting on metal for her daughter. That's life. It isn't always fair growing up, and it isn't always fair as an adult.

kreyFL

#8 Post by kreyFL »

I know if my child really wanted ceramics, I would probably fork over the extra couple hundred and make it happen. HOWEVER, it isn't really teaching what we preach when I have waited 25+ years for braces yet I am affording my child an opportunity that I never had. That in itself makes this a moot argument for me. What is justified at 35 is different than what is justified at 12 - and I do not expect any child to understand it nor do I feel compelled to explain it, it is what it is. I can stay up till midnight every night yet I can instill a proper 8pm bedtime regimen for my child...welcome to adulthood!

Ceramics did not gain popularity amongst children & teens...it is us adult brace wearers that confirmed the necessity of having the option. Once you want something so bad for so long, no ones opinion - not even your childs - will stand in the way of what we want and how we feel. I do not expect a 12 year old brace wearer to understand a 35+ year old brace wearers emotions anyway. If you take the stand of ceramics are purely a vanity thing - then what exactly are braces? Very few people "medically require" braces...therefore it should all be a matter of what makes me most comfortable and nothing more. Regardless, adults in braces is rare enough that I think the message of "Its never too late to feel good about yourself" is much louder and more positive than explaining why I want ceramics or invisalign over metal.

megan1976

#9 Post by megan1976 »

"4) Braces are more common in teenagers than adults; a teenager simply won't stand out very much for having braces on, even if they are visible."

I don't like this much and I'm not sure if I can explain why. lol It's just wearing metal braces as an adult is fine! Why do we feel like we will stand out and they are ok on kids, but not in our mouths???

I also like what another poster said about the invisalign ads where they hide there smile and are "embarassed by unsightly braces?" Poo on that! And the teen ones are awful, such a young age to be teaching beauty over all else. I'm sorry Invisalign that's all I take from those ads. It's one thing for technology to make things smaller or whatever, but to market something and say "choose us because you won't be ugly" or "that treatment is ugly/embarrassing" is wrong. I don't know, I just don't like it.

Really what I am saying is I've decided on metal for this very reason! Screw society. There is nothing wrong with me wearing metal braces. I wish more felt that way maybe a little? : )

p.s. !!! - I'm not criticizing anyone's decision to get metal, cermaic, invisalign or anything else. Society is the problem here, not whatever you chose!

kennyandrew85

#10 Post by kennyandrew85 »

If we truly believe what is on the inside is what counts shouldn't we live our life that way? I think society would be better off if we practiced more of what we preached
Anyone who truly believes this is naive.

You are judged on your appearance everywhere you go. Unless you're in braces for medical reasons, 99% of us want to get better looking. There is good reason for this.

In general:
Better looking people earn more on average.
Better looking people are respected more amongst friends and opposite sex.
Better looking people are more confident.

I'm in this process for the above things. I'm quite confident but I rarely smile and I'm always paranoid that people think I'm not having a good time.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

Ellabelle

#11 Post by Ellabelle »

megan1976 wrote: Really what I am saying is I've decided on metal for this very reason! Screw society. There is nothing wrong with me wearing metal braces. I wish more felt that way maybe a little? : )
I LOVE this attitude Megan! I've chosen to getting metal braces and am working very hard to get to this place in my mind. My fiancé is totally there about getting his, "screw what people think, I'm doing what's best for me". I, on the other hand, am much more concerned about what people think, but I don't want to be! I want to not care!

Well I have 25 days to get mentally ready. Confidence tips are welcome! :)

sweetcynic

#12 Post by sweetcynic »

kennyandrew85 wrote:
Anyone who truly believes this is naive.

You are judged on your appearance everywhere you go. Unless you're in braces for medical reasons, 99% of us want to get better looking. There is good reason for this.
There seem to be a lot of TMJ sufferers on here and such, much more than 1 percent. I got ortho because I was getting headaches and my teeth were chipping prematurely. In my case, getting ortho for cosmetic reasons would have been an absurd waste of money, as I cannot remember one time in my life that anyone other than a dentist ever criticized the appearance of my teeth. I'm not bashing anyone who does get ortho for cosmetic reasons, as some have teeth crooked enough for others to notice. I just don't think the medical cases should be ignored.

sweetcynic

#13 Post by sweetcynic »

As for kids, it depends. Sure they don't have to worry about job interviews, but they do have to worry about bullying, getting punched in the mouth and having the brackets make it worse, etc. That said, how much they are bullied about braces mostly depends on how popular they were before braces.

Angel269

#14 Post by Angel269 »

I went ceramic with coated archwire as I refused braces as a teen majorly due to appearance as well as fear of pain (this sparked a major dental phobia). I personally would not have had confidence for metal as I have very low self esteem anyway-people haven noticed my brace unless they are looking.

I do know an adult with metal (damons) she seems confident anyway and goes to same toddler group I go to and didn't even know I had a brace.

I think a lot comes down to confidence with the metal vs ceramic choice for an adult (as well as cost). As a teen I think I may have done this if the option of cerami with a coated archwire was available to me about 13 years ago or so.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

Ciara

#15 Post by Ciara »

My ortho (and most others too in this city) gives everyone ceramic unless they specifically ask for metal - she does have one patient who likes to decorate his metal braces with very colorful elastics. So here, most kids/teenagers have ceramic.

Ciara