How many hooks do you have?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracesBlueKK

How many hooks do you have?

#1 Post by BracesBlueKK »

I have 20 hooks, 10 on the top and 10 on the bottom.

Does this seem like a lot or is it just standard?

klobird

Re: How many hooks do you have?

#2 Post by klobird »

I had 14 total--I swallowed one, and the other is bent and not usable--ortho doesn't seem to mind. Also, the very back ones are proving to cause severe sores and the ortho canceled those out. So as far as usable--I would say, 6 on one side total and 4 on the other...

TMJJill

#3 Post by TMJJill »

Sounds like a lot, but I only know about what I received. I have 6 on top.

I was fitted with 4 on the bottom, but so far only have 4 brackets on the bottom so I can wear elastics. I have a couple more months until I get my bottom braces fully on.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

LoveOrtho

#4 Post by LoveOrtho »

I have 12 hooks, 4 on top and 8 on the bottom... Surprising thing is that I've used almost all of them...
Braced since September 25th 2009!
Deband date: February 7th 2012
Getting retainer: February 9th 2012

BracesBlueKK

#5 Post by BracesBlueKK »

Oh wow. I wonder if I'll end up using them all. The main reason for wearing braces in my case is jaw problems. The teeth are only very mildly crowded/twisted.

I just don't like them because my floss always gets caught on them. Mouth ulcers haven't been too much of a problem thankfully.

Sees like I'm abnormal then! :lol:

LoveOrtho

#6 Post by LoveOrtho »

BracesBlueKK wrote: I just don't like them because my floss always gets caught on them. Mouth ulcers haven't been too much of a problem thankful
Haha, lol my floss always gets caught too. It's so annoying! Thankfully I'm getting my braces off in 2 days! :)
Braced since September 25th 2009!
Deband date: February 7th 2012
Getting retainer: February 9th 2012

plugnickel69

#7 Post by plugnickel69 »

I have ten so far, but still have four molars to be bracketed. Also have four premolars that probably will get hooks after they are uprighted.

sunnylocks

#8 Post by sunnylocks »

I have 8, 4 on top, 4 on bottom. I've only used 3 so far...hoping I won't have to use anymore...although I'm thinking I won't be that lucky.

AM21

#9 Post by AM21 »

I have 12. 4 on top and 8 on the bottom. I haven't had to use them yet but I know it's coming soon. =/
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

bracemyself23

#10 Post by bracemyself23 »

Wow! I love this board! It is great for making a list of things to go with my ortho. My actual brace date is about 2 weeks away. This week is the final questions and possible spacers.

Thank you all! :)

plugnickel69

#11 Post by plugnickel69 »

The one thing I can tell you from my very recent experience is that after you walk out of your installation appointment you'll wonder why you spent all the time worrying. I can't believe how easy this has been so far except that I have to make careful choices as to what to eat. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. No pain and only very minor irritation. Good luck to you!

kellyb

#12 Post by kellyb »

i only have my lower braces fitted at the moment (uppers to be fitted next month). currently have 2 hooks on lower arch.

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

jem

#13 Post by jem »

I will only have a sectional brace on my front 6 upper teeth but I still have 2 hooks. Presumably they come as standard on Damon canine brackets?
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

BracesBlueKK

#14 Post by BracesBlueKK »

I'm pretty sure my braces are damon ones. I have hooks on all my teeth, from the canines on. The front four teeth on each jaw are hook free. I already got elastics on my bracing day, which was on Friday (The 3rd). I'm supposed to wear them from top canine to bottom canine and the tooth behind it. So a triangle. No idea what this does but oh well.

It just seems like a lot of hooks!

microbrew

#15 Post by microbrew »

That does seem like alot of hooks but this is coming from someone who only has 4 total. Im a damon wearer also but the hooks on mine are the second from last (2nd premolar?) on both top and bottom. I just got the lowers on last week and thankfully havent had to use any of my hooks quite yet 8)