post-braces advice

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

quiggle

post-braces advice

#1 Post by quiggle »

hello everyone! next week I am getting my braces taken off :jump: and wanted to know what adjustments I will need to make post-braces life. How long do I need to wear my retainers for, what complications may I expect to face with retainers, how soon can I go back to eating foods I had to stay away from, and do I need to change anything about my oral care (tootbrushes, mouthwashes, etc. I have been using brushes and mouthwashes specially made for braces) Thank you!!!

sirwired

Re: post-braces advice

#2 Post by sirwired »

You can go right to town with popcorn, caramel, etc. Your oral care routine can also go back to normal.

You need to wear your retainer as long as your ortho says to. Some people only need to wear them for six months, others need to wear them nightly for life; it all depends on what you had done, and how much relapse you'll get when you stop wearing them.

quiggle

#3 Post by quiggle »

thanks sirwired! also what is the best way to maintain the retainer, including keeping it clean. do i need to soak it in solution like dentures or will normal running through hot water be fine?

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

Hot (but NOT boiling) water rinses and brushes with a toothbrush and toothpaste will do fine most of the time. An occasional soak in denture cleaner will help even more, but you don't need to do that every day.

loradora

#5 Post by loradora »

My ortho recommended that I soak my retainers in a mixture of vinegar and water once a week.

denSMSgt

#6 Post by denSMSgt »

Interesting, never heard the vinegar/water recommendation.

I always did the denture soak bit with my retainers now and then.

Actually glad I don't have to deal with retainers for a good while!

Smile,

d

margarets

#7 Post by margarets »

Wear your retainer forever. That's the best way to prevent relapse. I will be in braces for the second time at the age of 44 because I stopped wearing my retainer (on my ortho's recommendation, no less). Retention is for life!

Gennie 50

#8 Post by Gennie 50 »

Wear your retainer for as long as you want to keep your teeth straight. Basically for the rest of your life. I was told not to use toothpaste on my retainer. My retainer is the clear InvisAlign type. I use a denture soak twice a week. I also bought a baby toothbrush to get all the nooks and crannies clean. I wear my retainer at night. I've been out of my braces almost a year and I've had no relapse.

Good Luck and congrat on the debanding.