Cost in NYC

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

N'awlinsRach

Re: Cost in NYC

#16 Post by N'awlinsRach »

WOW! I am willing to bet a big chunk of that fee is to pay rent on a fancy building. Mine only cost a hair under 5k.

Marie45

#17 Post by Marie45 »

That sounds way too expensive. I'm in the South and I was quoted around $5,600 with ceramic uppers and metal lowers. I'm sure you can find someone just as good but alot less expensive. Good luck!

Jen08

#18 Post by Jen08 »

I am convinced that he included his rent and office staff salary in the price for treatment. I've given him the boot and scheduled consults with other Orthos in my area.

So far I've only been to one and was quoted $6,600 for the entire treatment including retainers. I liked this most recent Ortho very much, but will continue on my quest of finding the right match.

quiggle

#19 Post by quiggle »

when I had my first couple of consultations, they were in the upper east side and prices came to around the same as you mentioned. then I went to the lower east side, around Chinatown, and the pricing was almost in half. cost is important but you have to feel comfortable and confident with the orthodontist who you consider seeking treatment with as well. good luck and hope everything works out!

wildpig

#20 Post by wildpig »

Find an ortho training program. They usually have lower cost also. Severals are in NY.

Here's a list of ortho training programs for anyone else interested.

http://www.dentalcareerguide.com/orthod ... hools.html

Snowglobe32

#21 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I am not in NY but my first ortho consult wanted me to do surgery with a total treatment cost of $12,000 to $13,000.

I didn't go with that guy but about a year later, I got another consult. My current ortho said surgery wasn't necessary and my total cost was just under $7,000. Insurance paid $1,500.00 of that cost.

I am sure the surgery cost is a huge increase for you. Find out if surgery is really necessary then go with your gut. Braces can be very expensive but it is so worth it. (Especially when you find an ortho who takes monthly payments at 0% interest rate! :D )

On a funny note: I just found out recently that my current ortho used to be partners with the first guy I consulted with...such a small world.