Orthos in NYZ for Metal/Ceramic braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lizbeth

Orthos in NYZ for Metal/Ceramic braces

#1 Post by Lizbeth »

Any recommendations for an Ortho in NYC for regular metal or ceramic braces? Thus far I have consulted with Dr. Vaysman. Consultation was free visit was 45 min to an 1 hr. She has a nice office and a very calm demeanor. I liked her but I would like to meet with three more Dr.'s before making a decision. Next is Dr. Rohini Mathrani. Has anyone seen her or had any work done by her? She accepts my insurance. Without insurance the consultation fee is about $250. I saw a great recommendation for Dr. Marc Lemchen. He has a high consultation fee (maybe $300 +).

Please provide any feedback, especially on Dr. Mathrani.

Thank you!!! :D

sirwired

Re: Orthos in NYZ for Metal/Ceramic braces

#2 Post by sirwired »

Wow, braces in NYC are expensive. Here in Raleigh, nobody even charges for a consult. You only have to pay when you get records (impressions and x-rays) made.

Lizbeth

#3 Post by Lizbeth »

Almost everything is more expensive in NYC. I made a mistake about Dr. Lemchen's consult fee - it is about $475. It includes panoramic X-rays, cephalometrics, impressions, etc. I am not sure if it is applied towards the total treatment price. Dr. Vayasman did not do X-rays but a simple oral evaluation. She quoted me $6,500 for the entire treatment with ceramics. The next Ortho I see, I will ask that they take panorex X-rays and cephalometrics.

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

Well, if a consult includes full records, then $475 is not too out of line. (My records were $300.) But if the records-taking ortho isn't your final consult, make sure you walk out of the office with a copy of the x-rays on a USB stick. They won't let you take the models they make from the impressions; those remain as part of their files.

Full records aren't usually necessary for a treatment estimate, but sometimes they are, depending on your particular case.

Lizbeth

#5 Post by Lizbeth »

I called the office of Dr. Jacqueline Fulop-Goodling to find out if I could have a consult with her but bring my own records. I was told that her office would need to take new X-rays. The office of Dr. Hochman will look at the X-rays I bring in but I would still be required to pay the full consultation fee. Consults can get very expensive!

Jen08

#6 Post by Jen08 »

Hey Lisbeth,

I'm trying to find an orthodontist, I consulted with one who is asking for $11,995 for ceramic tops and metal bottoms. Insane!

Have you found an orthodontist yet?

I have schedule a few more consults and would like to know if you found one and if you recommend him/her.

Jen08

#7 Post by Jen08 »

Hey Lisbeth,

I'm trying to find an orthodontist, I consulted with one who is asking for $11,995 for ceramic tops and metal bottoms. Insane!

Have you found an orthodontist yet?

I have schedule a few more consults and would like to know if you found one and if you recommend him/her.

Lizbeth

#8 Post by Lizbeth »

Jen,

I have learned a lot since I last wrote in.

Dr. Vaysman quoted me $6,500 for ceramics and $11,000-12,000 for linguals. Free consult, and she will quote you a price in person. You them receive a written evaluation of your issues by mail. Does not accept insurance but will assist with submission of claims to your insurance company.

Dr. Hung over $8,000 for invisalign and about the same for ceramics. Consult $50. Panorex $100, ceph $100. Does not accept insurance but will assist with submission of claims. Elite Invisalign provider.

Dr. Andolino just under $8,000 for Invisalign and ceramics. Does not accept insurance but will assist with insurance claim. Elite Invisalign provider.

Dr. Jacqueline Fulop accepts insurance so braces here will be $4,750 minus the 1,500 my insurance will cover. Free consult but you need to bring your own X-rays, otherwise you'll be charged approximately $300 for them. That fee might also include the ceph.

NYU orthodontics initial consult is $30. But if you need a more extensive workup the fee is $230, which includes lateral ceph, panorex, can include s pa ceph, dental impressions and pictures. They are open from 9:30-3:30pm, closed from 12:30-1:30 pm. The first time you go call 212 998-9311 AFTER 9:30 am. If you call before you will receive some type of wrong number message. The number is correct. If you need it they will give you an oral surgeon consult. That initial oral consult is free. I received a free oral consult on the spot because the Oral Surgeon happen to be in the area.

$11,000 sounds excessive, even for NY. That sounds like a quote for linguals. The only person in Manhattan who charges near that amount is Dr. Bronsky. I

Is your case especially long it complicate? My case is estimated St between 1-2 yrs.

Dr. Alikhani in Brooklyn accepts insurance do it will be $4,500 for braces. Free consult.

Where do you live? I might have

Lizbeth

#9 Post by Lizbeth »

Sorry I wasn't able to edit the message before sending it.

Do you live in the NYC area?

In 2-3 weeks I might be able to recommend someone who is extremely reasonable. I am also holding off on making a decision until I find out if this person will be available.

By the way, Ceramic are about 4,700 at NYU. They will not submit claims for you.

Lizbeth

#10 Post by Lizbeth »

I did not address the recommendation part of the question.

Dr. Alikhani in Brooklyn gave me the most thorough exam. This is is how I learned about a potential big issue. He referred me to NYU for a very detailed evaluation and second opinion. They are in the process of measuring my skeletal frame, pictures , etc to come up with a complete diagnosis. Some malocclusions are dental in origin but some are skeletal.

I also liked Dr. Vaysman and Dr. Hung. However, I felt Dr. Hung should of done a more complete oral evaluation prior to recommending the treatment time.

Thus far, the most valuable consult has been from dr. Alikhani. He is first and foremost and foremost an academic and orthodontist. He is in Brooklyn Heights. Free consult. You might wait a little while in the waiting area but i think it will be worth it. The one thing I am evaluating is whether I really need to have 4 extractions. Will find out in about 3 weeks at NYU.

Jen08

#11 Post by Jen08 »

Sounds like you're right on track. I had a ton of xrays, panoramic, skeletal done at NYP. I have narrow top jaw and while I may benefit from it, I may opt out because of a preexisting heart condtiton. Luckily these Xrays were covered by my health insurance. My dental insurance will only contribute $1840 towards treatment.

I will do some research on Dr. Alikhani and may contact him for a consult.

Jen08

#12 Post by Jen08 »

* benefit from surgery.

Sorry for the typos, I'm using my phone.

Lizbeth

#13 Post by Lizbeth »

I'm using my phone as well - lots of typos .

I recommend Dr. Alikhani but I am just questioning the need for the tooth extractions. There might be a bit of a wait in his office.

I was also interested in maxillary expansion in a nonsurgical way to avoid the need for IPR & extractions. There is an Ortho in aurora, co who uses the Schwartz device to do a SLOW maxillary expansion. His name is Kent Lausen. Look at some of the before and after pictures of adults on his website. Unfortunately he is in CO and his office was not able to refer me to anyone in the NYC area.

People laugh when I bring up adult expansion in adults, but Dr. Lausen has shown stable results. Not rapid maxillary expander but slow maxillary expander.

There is a study online, cephalometric study of alterations induced by maxillary slow expansion in adults. Take a look.

quiggle

#14 Post by quiggle »

I'm not being subjective here, but just sharing my personal experience with one of the orthodontist I went to see for a consultation:

http://www.drsinhta.com/

consulation was 800$ and all out of pocket because my insurance doesn't cover adult braces (this included a 150$ fee to have her assistant take two photos of my face). I was told my treatment options were to either have jaw surgery with braces, or to remove some teeth with braces to correct my bite. I went for second, third and fourth opinions, found an orthodontist who was able to work on my teeth without having to do either and correct my bite (and recommended a really nice periodontist who earlier helped with gum grafting before the braces were put on).