Friendly, "blunt truth". Anyone got any about this site?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

megan1976

Friendly, "blunt truth". Anyone got any about this site?

#1 Post by megan1976 »

I'll go first so you know what I'm talking about. These could be anything. Thoughts, initial reactions, etc. Keep them general and not specific to members so not to offend, but whatever it is must be absolute honesty so a few of you are going to be shocked because nobody is used to this. Here goes! Mine are:

1. Adults complain and whine a lot. So many kids have braces and they survive with no problems! If braces are the worst thing you ever go through, how lucky for you!

2. Ceramic braces are not real braces. I'm sorry. You can say you have braces, but you don't. When they are barely visible and you comment on appearance issues I just roll my eyes. Braces to me are metal.

3. A lot of smartasses on this site. They probably don't mean to come off as know it alls or rude, but they do. Kind of like me now, except some need to hear this!

Ok! That was fun. : )

kellyb

Re: Friendly, "blunt truth". Anyone got any about this site?

#2 Post by kellyb »

hmmmm, is this really necessary?

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

rtergeggde

#3 Post by rtergeggde »

1. Adults complain and whine a lot.
Well i think my complaints about braces are pretty valid, and it's not the worst of my problems but it can worsen my problems. Still little to moderate annoyances for a duration of couple of years + can be pretty stressing regardless of a persons age.

And i'm sure adults who complain about braces are the minority anyway.

klobird

#4 Post by klobird »

Hmmmm----ok----hmmmm......well, you want honest--here goes...First and foremost, your comments make me really angry! :-+ :-+ :-+

Everyone who has a feeling--ANYONE--that FEELING is valid...this site is to support and encourage--even if one is in pain EVERY SINGLE DAY they have braces...

Ceramic braces are real braces. They work. Look at the pictures. Some people need more torque to get those nasty bucky beavers (10mm) and crooked teeth reigned in--like me--so I didn't get a choice to have ceramic. Would have loved it though....

If one spends enough time on this site, one will get to feel what certain people may respond to. Some of us know each other personally. I would truly like to apologize if I have offended anyone with my sense of humor, or my comments. I would never in a million years want to hurt anyone. :heart:

I am aware of my braces every single day--I like to talk about them--that's why I'm always here. I get a LOT of useful advice from the "know-it-alls"--(which I may also come across as) .We are all different. That's what makes my world an interesting and awesome place to be!

If you feel negatively about the "adults here", then maybe this isn't the braces site for you. There are other sites--but my guess is that they're all about the same.

I guess one thing I can say is that you have indeed succeeded in shaking it up a little...for whatever that's worth... :ThumbsDown:

ashesgap

#5 Post by ashesgap »

I think one of the best things about this site is the varied personalities. We're pretty different, but we agree on a lot of this braces stuff. And when we disagree it's sometimes really helpful. I've made decisions based on others feelings, personal experience and opinions. They've helped where the Orthos have failed to.
I don't know how often I've complained on here about my braces, but I do know at home I'm a big ol'baby sometimes, and I'm OK with that.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

Marie45

#6 Post by Marie45 »

Well said, Klobird. I agree 100%!!

kitsune

#7 Post by kitsune »

Megan1976, I really don't see the point to this post. We are here to support each other, not tear each other down.

Sita

#8 Post by Sita »

megan1976 wrote:I'll go first so you know what I'm talking about. These could be anything. Thoughts, initial reactions, etc. Keep them general and not specific to members so not to offend, but whatever it is must be absolute honesty so a few of you are going to be shocked because nobody is used to this. Here goes! Mine are:

1. Adults complain and whine a lot. So many kids have braces and they survive with no problems! If braces are the worst thing you ever go through, how lucky for you!

2. Ceramic braces are not real braces. I'm sorry. You can say you have braces, but you don't. When they are barely visible and you comment on appearance issues I just roll my eyes. Braces to me are metal.

3. A lot of smartasses on this site. They probably don't mean to come off as know it alls or rude, but they do. Kind of like me now, except some need to hear this!

Ok! That was fun. : )
1. Are you saying only kids are allowed to complain? Have you been to any other dental boards or places like yahoo answers? They're full of teenagers whinging and moaning and complaining. I chose to register here so I could THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN with people in my own age group who are going through the same thing I am (or rather will be very soon). Have you ever heard of the word empathy? Or support? Encouragement? Help? That's what the people here are either looking for or giving. And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that one of the reasons this board is here?

2. Okay, what would you call them then? When every dentist, orthodontist and person who has them calls them braces?

3. Haven't seen any smartasses myself. Granted I haven't been here long and haven't read every post on the site but I've seen nothing but support and helpfulness.

4. Glad you had fun but just because you added a ': )' doesn't make your post friendly. If you are unhappy with the way people are here then maybe this isn't the site for you.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

Breel

#9 Post by Breel »

Ditto Klobird!! :D

chainreaction

#10 Post by chainreaction »

(Initial reaction )...ceramic braces are braces ..take a look at my pics and tell me if you "notice" them ...they actualy stick out farther than metal brackets and because of that probably hurt my mouth more than metal braces hurt ...this site is about sharing experiences..with people who are going thru the same things ..and newcomers who want to know what they might expect ..so I think alot of us go into more detail of what and how we feel ...also I think it's a place to vent with others like ourselves ...another note about ceramics.... when someone sees a mouth full of metal ,they know that you have braces ..with ceramics sometimes it looks like food is stuck or misshaped teeth..speak your mind ..that's fine ...this isn't a place to be judgmental.....(blunt honesty).

chainreaction

#11 Post by chainreaction »

OH ...by the way ..I have ceramic and metal braces....

sea54change

#12 Post by sea54change »

Standing ovation for what Klobird said! :jump: :jump: :jump:

Megan1976
I did some research. :wink: And this is definately not meant as an attack on you. Just some information that I've gleaned from your past 11 posts.

It appears that you are a fairly recent member of this site. It also appears that your brace date is in the near future? It also appears that you do have empathy for others based on some of your replies.

I'm just curious as to what the need is to make negative genralizations of a community composed of so many individuals who have so many different stories and experiences that they are willing to share on a public forum?
Bottom braces: 9-1-10
Top Braces: 12-1-10, enamel
Debrace date:Top 12-12-11
Bottom: 1-5-2012

sirwired

#13 Post by sirwired »

Don't feed the troll. Move along... nothing to see here.

(EDIT: I had a "real" reply all typed up for this post... let me tell you, it was a masterwork of snark, sarcasm, and even a geeky reference to the alloy from which was forged the One Ring. But then I realized, this kind of trolling should not be encouraged with counter-insults, so you are sadly left with the two-sentence reply above. I shall try and work my LOTR reference in a future post, so it won't go to waste. :HugeGrin: )

JennyLaughs

#14 Post by JennyLaughs »

^ Lol

bbsadmin

#15 Post by bbsadmin »

Ceramic braces certainly are real braces. I had them for 3 years.

I don't appreciate your comments, Megan1976. You are being very rude to everyone. You complain about people being "smartass" and indeed there are one or two occasionally on this message board, but now I think you can count yourself among them.

One more outburst like that, offending everyone including me, and you will be banned from this website.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!