adding elastics are like braces^2

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracedat36

adding elastics are like braces^2

#1 Post by bracedat36 »

or braces squared. More than double the pain and annoyance.

On Friday my orthodontist added a power chain on the top (first time), a power chain on half the bottom (to move my center line) and 3(!) elastics to close my open bite. It's about 13 months since I was braced and apart from the spacers (yow-ser!), this is the most uncomfortable I've been since starting this journey.

The best part of my day is between 6 and 7 pm, when I take the elastics off for a full hour for dinner.

I would love to hear from others on how long did the discomfort from the elastics lasted. Did the pain subside after a week? Two? more?

klobird

Re: adding elastics are like braces^2

#2 Post by klobird »

They are a pain in the *ass with a capital A!! The pulling and that king of stuff has never made my teeth sore, and doesn't bother me. It's the mouth-cheek sores. They occur in waves. It can be fine for a long time and then whammo--they are rubbing again on something--get out the wax, and the Oragel, and the Rincinol... They are a pain in my brain, similar to how flossing is a pain in the *ss....

I have had elastics since the first day.... :-+ (I asked the ortho if I would ever have a time when I wouldn't have to wear them--He said "Well, probably after you get out of braces" !!!! Big ha ha :roll: )

Snowglobe32

#3 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Elastics do hurt but the pain usually last about a week, if you are wearing them as instructed. After the first week, they become annoying. The constant non-stop wear allows your teeth to get used to the elastics with the exception of meals of course.

If you wear them here and there, then they never really get used to it and they hurt all the time.

Elastics work quickly and your ortho will know if you are wearing them as instructed. By not wearing them, it can cause serious problems and prolong treatment.

I have had to wear them off and on, 3 times so far. Since I should be done soon (won't hold my breath), I don't think I will have to wear them again.

bracedat36

#4 Post by bracedat36 »

That is good to know. I have found that the pain has not been as bad, although I do notice the difference when I change them out for new ones (at least once a day as instructed).

I have found today that the rubbing on the inside of my mouth is irritating. I'm also a little self conscious when I smile thinking about how much is going on in my mouth! I seriously can't imagine adding wax to the mix as well. eek!

I am trying to wear them all day and night, except for meals and brushing. At this point, I'll do anything to keep from keeping the braces even a day longer than is necessary.

drgnchsr36

#5 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Maybe I'm weird, but I didn't really have that much pain with elastics. A bit in the beginning, they rubbed my cheeks a bit.. but after that, I didn't have any issues. My annoyance with them is eating.. I tend to snack a lot, but the times I forget to take them out, it's a mess.

Hopefully the elastics will do it's work and you won't have to wear them too much longer! I'm stuck with them until the end I think.

CoryDaniels

#6 Post by CoryDaniels »

I had to wear my elastics just at night for about 2 months....I hated it the first 3-4 nights....after that..I would wake up and my teeth would feel a little weird, but as soon as i took them out, about 30 min later, they felt normal. Went to the ortho last time and she told me to stop wearing the elastics and if everything is stable on my next appointment....the hooks and buttons would come off along with my bite blocks....so DEF wear your elastics as instructed too.....might be a pain now, but it WILL be worth it.

Ellebraced

#7 Post by Ellebraced »

I think its going to be sooooo weird to not have elastics keeping my mouth shut :mrgreen:

I have had elastics for 8 months of 14 so far and the very few times I do take them out to eat or socialize is ODD. They are better when worn 24/7 then taking them out even for an hour. It took me a good week to get used to new upside down triangles then the other overbite set up I had. I was like ughhhh these just feel odd and annoying now I am used to them. I just can't wait to eat a burger again with nothing in my mouth or to smile big again, its going to be sooooo nice!! :wink:

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

wiredone

#8 Post by wiredone »

I wore elastics mostly at the begining of my treatment, and a little during the middle. And just when I thought I was done with them... here I am again back in them :( They usually cause me pain for about a week, and then after that, they are just a nuisance.

TMJJill

#9 Post by TMJJill »

I wear elastics only at night. Every morning when I wake up and take them out my teeth are really hurting. I've had the elastics for 5 months now and it still hasn't changed. :roll: I'm looking forward to the day when I can ditch the ones on my back molars.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

bracedat36

#10 Post by bracedat36 »

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I have found, after only 7 days, that the pain has subsided some. I'm not popping advil every three hours and waking up at night with throbbing teeth. I can definitely still feel the pressure on my jaw with the elastics in. I wonder how long it will take to notice some difference.

I found that it is too much of a hassle to take off the elastics to snack, brush my teeth and put them on again that I just don't snack. Could lose the winter weight!

Does anyone else find this process fascinating?

Ellebraced

#11 Post by Ellebraced »

Bracedat36,

Yes it's very fascinating. Amazing that some little elastics can transform your teeth. I love looking at before and after pics, amazing how different teeth can look with braces. My bite feels so weird right now, going from 10mm overbite to basically nothing in 14 months is crazy weird.

My husband was SHOCKED how different my teeth have changed, he thought braces were a scam and didn't believe they could do that. I think it's pretty funny he agreed to let me pay $7000 for something he thought was a scam. LOL

I think its amazing too that your teeth can change over the years even if you have had braces before, some people never wear retainers and their teeth look fine, others don't and need braces again, I will be wearing my retainers all the time and be paranoid forever they might change again.

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

cbt325xi

#12 Post by cbt325xi »

Thanks for this post. My orthodontist said I will be getting the elastics at my next visit. I've been anxious about it.

kennyandrew85

#13 Post by kennyandrew85 »

Are elastics commonly used?

If so I am looking forward to them, not bothered about pain if it means faster results! Just hope they won't be too hard to talk in without sounding like a real geek!
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

elseegee64

#14 Post by elseegee64 »

I'm very appreciative for this post! I think I remember my ortho saying something about elastics, but not for awhile. Just when I think the worse part was getting braces in... I find more posts about things to expect!.

bracedat36

#15 Post by bracedat36 »

Elastics seem to be common among those who have bite issues. In my case they are to deal with an overbite and an open bite. But, based on the responses here and other posts on this board, the timing and duration of elastics varies a lot. I had a full year with the braces before the elastics were added. I suspect I'll be using the elastics for the rest of the time -- about another year. My bite still has a long way to go.

Braces better not be a scam as I too am paying nearly 7K for them, not to mention the discomfort! And I'm amazed with all my whining about the pain and general awkwardness that I have actually inspired others to look into getting braces themselves. Two people I know have taken the plunge since I've been braced.

I think the best thing to is focus on where you are today and not think too much about things to come. I take each six weeks between appointments as they come. Usually the first week or two are uncomfortable, then a week where things feel better but I'm a little annoyed about them, then three weeks of acceptance and I almost forget they are there. Then, a visit to the ortho and the process restarts.