Teeth Feel Loose

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MrsRhone

Teeth Feel Loose

#1 Post by MrsRhone »

I called my orthodontist to make sure that it was normal for a couple of my front teeth to feel loose and they said it was cause my teeth are moving. I just wanted to know how does it feel for you all? I just got my braces on yesterday. I don't want me teeth falling out.
Antoinette

auco99

Re: Teeth Feel Loose

#2 Post by auco99 »

Completely normal. The ligaments are loose, not the tooth, and that has to happen for them to move. Don't worry, your teeth are glued to metal wire, and way more secure than before...they aren't going anywhere.

Congrats, your teeth are getting more straight already!
Uppers: Ceramic Damons, braced 1-31-12
Lowers: Metal, braced 5-31-12

cheerrabbit

#3 Post by cheerrabbit »

Sounds normal to me. I remember telling the oral surgeon that I fear buying into an apple because I feel like my teeth would come out.

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

Yep, it feels and looks freaky, but it's perfectly normal. While your teeth are a little mobile, the part that really anchors your teeth in, your gums, aren't affected by the braces at all. The attachment ligament that is now loose makes the tooth tight, but doesn't actually hold the tooth in your jaw.

You should find that in a couple of weeks, when the teeth have done what the latest adjustment was supposed to accomplish, the tooth will lock back down.

MrsRhone

#5 Post by MrsRhone »

Thank you all for your feedback. I was worried there for a sec lol. Now I am just trying to get past the mouth hurting phase so I can eat soome real food. I have lost five pounds.
Antoinette

chris500

#6 Post by chris500 »

yep my ortho says that the first period of the braces your teeth will feel strange, quite normal

good luck!

bracemyself23

#7 Post by bracemyself23 »

So glad I saw this topic! One of my teeth is loose too. I was afraid I had brushed too hard!

Sita

#8 Post by Sita »

I'm glad I saw this. My braces go on in a week and if I hadn't known it was normal I would have panicked bigtime. I have a recurring nightmare about losing my teeth so I am not looking forward to loose teeth.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

elseegee64

#9 Post by elseegee64 »

Yay! My teeth feel loose, also! Just got braced yesterday and they feel so ab-normal!

Bracedforbraces

#10 Post by Bracedforbraces »

Blimey, I am SO glad I saw this post. I'm not sure exactly how I thought braces moved teeth into place but it had never occurred to me that teeth would become loose. As someone who has nightmares about teeth falling out I think I would have cried if I noticed a loose tooth. How loose do they become?

sirwired

#11 Post by sirwired »

Bracedforbraces wrote:Blimey, I am SO glad I saw this post. I'm not sure exactly how I thought braces moved teeth into place but it had never occurred to me that teeth would become loose. As someone who has nightmares about teeth falling out I think I would have cried if I noticed a loose tooth. How loose do they become?
It can be pretty loose. As in, if you bite down on the loose tooth, you might be able to watch it dip at least an mm or so. It can even "feel" loose, harkening back to the days when you knew you were going to get a visit from the tooth fairy soon. At the least, you'll be able to grab a tooth and watch it wiggle, even if you don't feel anything.

The big difference, of course, is that the tooth is NOT going to fall out. Even if your bracket were to accidentally de-bond, the tooth still isn't going to fall out, because, absent horrible periodontitis, your gums are still latched on to it quite securely, even if the ligament is a bit wiggly.

Think of it like bad shock absorbers on a car; your car is going to be bouncing all over the place, but that doesn't mean the wheels are about to fall off.

Bracedforbraces

#12 Post by Bracedforbraces »

Thanks for the info. I dread to think how brace wearers who havent seen these forums cope, my orthodontist hadn't warned me of half the things I've read on here.

newbrace24

#13 Post by newbrace24 »

Thanks for posting this! I got braces on Friday and my teeth feel like they are Jello. I'm afraid to eat anything because my teeth move around instead of chewing :-/