I know this has been said a million times before, but...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

conine

I know this has been said a million times before, but...

#1 Post by conine »

Last week, I was debanded. Absolutely nobody where I work noticed. Finally, I said something to my secretary, asking what she thought. She had no idea what I was talking about. She said "I hardly noticed you had braces at all in the first place." Of course she knew - I missed a week and a half for the surgery and she had to arrange coverage for my cases. But, if you're an adult thinking about getting them but self-conscious about the "look," seriously, don't worry. It's not that big a deal.

Sita

Re: I know this has been said a million times before, but...

#2 Post by Sita »

I'm hoping that's true for me as well since I hate being noticed at all.

Though it is surprising what people don't see. I had a breast reduction 15 years ago and no one noticed that either. Some people who knew about the surgery before hand assumed I must have chickened out. 6 cup sizes smaller and no one noticed a thing. Of course if I had been increasing my bust size it would probably have been a different matter. ;-)

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

Kirsten2011

#3 Post by Kirsten2011 »

some people notice them and others just dont - it does proof just how little attention we actually give each other on a daily basis :)
Although when i had my braces fitted a year ago, the word around the company spread so quickly i had staff coming to stare at my mouth :evil: And with others, it took weeks before they even noticed, haa haa!!

JennyLaughs

#4 Post by JennyLaughs »

I'm not sure how it goes for younger brace-faces, but I think for adults, people may notice them, they just have enough empathy to not mention them unless the subject is broached by you first. Or not. I know I sure notice when anyone else has braces :D

ashesgap

#5 Post by ashesgap »

Sita wrote:I'm hoping that's true for me as well since I hate being noticed at all.

Though it is surprising what people don't see. I had a breast reduction 15 years ago and no one noticed that either. Some people who knew about the surgery before hand assumed I must have chickened out. 6 cup sizes smaller and no one noticed a thing. Of course if I had been increasing my bust size it would probably have been a different matter. ;-)
Two things...
One, someone better damn well mention when I get my braces off...
Two, you are so right about boobs! Lol. The only thing stopping me from getting bigger ones, is I know everyone will notice, and it makes me embarrassed. Stupid boobs, too big, too small, up high, down low...grrrrr. :-*
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

newbrace24

#6 Post by newbrace24 »

I hope people don't notice them. I just got mine on on Friday. I definitely notice that the braces are changing the way I talk and my lips puff out a lot more.

kennyandrew85

#7 Post by kennyandrew85 »

The only thing stopping me from getting bigger ones, is I know everyone will notice, and it makes me embarrassed.
isn't that the whole point?! ha
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

nifer237

#8 Post by nifer237 »

This is so funny. Someone the other day just said, "Hey you got your braces off!", when they're still on. I am happy to hear people don't notice them as much as I thought they would. Some people notice right away, but most people forget, luckily they never affected my speech or mannerisms.

Kristyar0

#9 Post by Kristyar0 »

I know this feeling too well! I got my braces off on Friday and when I went to work yesterday literally not one person noticed! The only person who asked me to smile already knew I was getting them off! It was so disappointing! Oh well, like you say it just goes to show that people really don't pay that much attention to them anyway.

On the bright side, I did not tell my boyfriend I was getting them off. He was in a wedding on Saturday. When he was standing up at the front of the church I smiled at him from about 8 pews back and he noticed straight away! He came and gave me a hug and said how great my teeth look. So that made my day :D