Waterpik recommendation and thoughts please

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Grace123

Waterpik recommendation and thoughts please

#1 Post by Grace123 »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Waterpik? There are so many brands and styles to choose from. While reading about them I read that they can be used INSTEAD of flossing with braces. Since this is written by the people selling them I will still plan to use it to supplement cleaning and flossing unless I learn otherwise. Has anyone had experience with this or heard this from an ortho? Seems too good to be true...

sirwired

Re: Waterpik recommendation and thoughts please

#2 Post by sirwired »

For home use, the Waterpik Ultra is great; you can order it from Amazon for less than the drugstore, if you can stand to wait for it to arrive.

For away-from-home use, I think the Pana-sonic is the best bet. I have one of those at work, and another in my in-car kit.

No, it is not a flossing replacement. I suppose if somebody otherwise won't floss at all, it's better than nothing, but otherwise your primary use for it should be to blast the really chunky stuff off your brackets and wire. I also use mine to give the space between my molar bands and gums a little extra TLC.

VioletJay

#3 Post by VioletJay »

I got the WP-100 I believe - very impressed not only with the power and what it can do but also with the compact nature of the unit: we have a very small bathroom sink area so I needed something that wouldn't take up too much space. I think I paid about $50 for mine - got it from Target. :)
Proud mama, graphic designer, writer and editor, working toward increased self sufficiency with my man, my little girl and my wits about me! Adios, jumbly teeth; hello happy smile! :)

ashesgap

#4 Post by ashesgap »

You definitely do not want to stop flossing. Once you floss, then water pik you'll feel a difference. Just using the water pik doesn't clean the gum line between the teeth very well.
I have the RediBreeze from dentakit.com and love it. Our previous base housing didn't have room in the bathrooms for the WaterPik tank. The RediBreeze connects right to the faucet, and you control the spray. They have cordless waterpiks too, which a lot people find handy when they're out to eat, or at work.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

Beebop

#5 Post by Beebop »

I've seen something called an airfloss, anyone got one of these?

My main requirement is to have something portable as I do a lot of travelling and staying away, what's good on the move?

Grace123

#6 Post by Grace123 »

Thanks for everything so far and thanks bebop for reminding me that I saw a fairly new kind online that is water and air combined. It only uses a coupe of spoons full of water which made me wonder but had some good reviews. I think it may be an oral b product.

scully

#7 Post by scully »

I am using the Waterpik for kids countertop model. It came in a really awesome lime green color, and seems to be the same psi as the grownups portable model I had before.

I use it instead of flossing, and my ortho always comments on how clean I keep my teeth and braces. If I floss THEN use the waterpik, bits of food still come out. That's why I think it's actually better than flossing. Definitely make sure you are using the orthodontic tip which has some fuzzy fibers for cleaning your brackets, and don't skimp. Give each tooth about 2-3 seconds of quality waterpik time, and you should be very clean indeed.

sirwired

#8 Post by sirwired »

scully wrote:I use it instead of flossing, and my ortho always comments on how clean I keep my teeth and braces. If I floss THEN use the waterpik, bits of food still come out. That's why I think it's actually better than flossing. Definitely make sure you are using the orthodontic tip which has some fuzzy fibers for cleaning your brackets, and don't skimp. Give each tooth about 2-3 seconds of quality waterpik time, and you should be very clean indeed.
The purpose of floss isn't to work Mass Chunky Bits (hereafter referred to as MCB's) out from underneath your brackets, archwire, and from between your teeth. It is indeed quite poor at it, being essentially a brush with a single bristle when used for that purpose. MCB's are more properly removed with water and/or brushing. It doesn't surprise me that if you floss first thing, you still have MCB's left over. The waterpik is spectacular in blasting those things off of your brackets, teeth, and even inter-tooth spaces.

The point of flossing, and why it's so important, is to remove the thin, invisible, plaque film that forms in the spaces between your teeth and just underneath your gumline. Brushing can't reach it, and you shouldn't trust the WaterPik to remove it.

Beebop

#9 Post by Beebop »

sirwired wrote: For away-from-home use, I think the Pana-sonic is the best bet. I have one of those at work, and another in my in-car kit.
Hello sirwired - What Pana-sonic would you recommend? I am after one for being away etc. And would probably extend to home use as well rather than having multiples.
Thanks...

kellyb

#10 Post by kellyb »

Beebop wrote:
sirwired wrote: For away-from-home use, I think the Pana-sonic is the best bet. I have one of those at work, and another in my in-car kit.
Hello sirwired - What Pana-sonic would you recommend? I am after one for being away etc. And would probably extend to home use as well rather than having multiples.
Thanks...
i need this info as well. look forward to the responses.

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

sirwired

#11 Post by sirwired »

I use the Pana-Sonic EW-DJ10-A for travel use. It's currently sold at $30 at Amazon, but it goes on sale intermittently for less. I suppose you could use it at home, but the tank is portable-sized (a decent size for a portable, but still not that big), there are only two speeds, and it uses AA batteries (good for about 30 uses or so... I use NiMH rechargables in the one I have at the office.) And if you don't let it air out all the time, you'll need to periodically flush the whole thing with hot soapy water to keep it from "souring".

Really, the countertop WaterPik is a better unit for your morning, evening, and night use, despite the fact you'll have to buy a separate portable.

Beebop

#12 Post by Beebop »

sirwired wrote:I use the Pana-Sonic EW-DJ10-A for travel use. It's currently sold at $30 at Amazon, but it goes on sale intermittently for less. I suppose you could use it at home, but the tank is portable-sized (a decent size for a portable, but still not that big), there are only two speeds, and it uses AA batteries (good for about 30 uses or so... I use NiMH rechargables in the one I have at the office.) And if you don't let it air out all the time, you'll need to periodically flush the whole thing with hot soapy water to keep it from "souring".

Really, the countertop WaterPik is a better unit for your morning, evening, and night use, despite the fact you'll have to buy a separate portable.
Thank you for the info - the DJ10 seems to get good reviews, so I'll grab one of these to start with and then go from there...

orthogeek

#13 Post by orthogeek »

I love my Waterpik!

kellyb

#14 Post by kellyb »

sirwired wrote:I use the Pana-Sonic EW-DJ10-A for travel use. It's currently sold at $30 at Amazon, but it goes on sale intermittently for less. I suppose you could use it at home, but the tank is portable-sized (a decent size for a portable, but still not that big), there are only two speeds, and it uses AA batteries (good for about 30 uses or so... I use NiMH rechargables in the one I have at the office.) And if you don't let it air out all the time, you'll need to periodically flush the whole thing with hot soapy water to keep it from "souring".

i have just checked amazon.co.uk and the dj10 is £41.91. is this a reasonable price?

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

sirwired

#15 Post by sirwired »

kellyb wrote:

i have just checked amazon.co.uk and the dj10 is £41.91. is this a reasonable price?
Ouch! That seems brutal! Especially for something that doesn't need a UK-unique version! Will Amazon US ship it to you for less?