fixed brace adjustments and....whimpering

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

peanuts

fixed brace adjustments and....whimpering

#1 Post by peanuts »

so does anyone else, when getting their brace tightened/ adjusted, actually make noise? ive just been for my 2nd adjustment and one tooth in particular reaaaally hurt when the ortho did her thing. it happened last time with different teeth. i actually make noise. i tried so hard not to but it just came out because of how painful it is. im 23, and i feel like the biggest idiot. i bet they think im a wimp! does anyone else do this?

ashesgap

Re: fixed brace adjustments and....whimpering

#2 Post by ashesgap »

You are not a wimp. During my last adjustment the assistant wire tied my two front teeth together, I actually felt them move. When she got her hands out of my mouth I very loudly said, "holy cheese sticks!!" The only reason I didn't say worse is because I'm always aware of the kids in the office. The gap I had between my teeth actually closed right then, it freak'n hurt. And that wasn't the only time. Also quite a few people on here have talked about crying, sweating and swearing. So I think a little whimpering is fine.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

TumbleDryLow

#3 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Oh yeah. I whimpered a lot at adjustment appointments. That was my way of letting them know that it hurt. Most of the time they tried to be a bit gentler.
Take two Advil about an hour b/f your adjustment appointment. That really helped me a lot.

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

The assistants will ask me before they begin if anything is loose, poking, sore etc...depending on who is working on me, I will say my teeth are sore.

Usually I don't have anything that makes me verbally express my pain...then again, I have a high tolerance for pain.

AM21

#5 Post by AM21 »

I make noises and whimper too. I just had my first adjustment Monday and I was making noises when the assistant was putting my new ligs around my brackets... She tried her best to be gentle but it still hurt. Sadly, I think I whimpered more when I was told I was going to have a power chain put on my two front teeth. Lol. So you're not a wimp at all! :)
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

ArchWired28

#6 Post by ArchWired28 »

I was screaming when my lower braces were installed, because my teeth were still very sore from spacers and she pressed on them very hard. But I don't really care, even if kids make fun of me (I am a 29 old lady LOL :lol: ). If it hurts - it hurts. Hopefully next time it will be better.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

Robot Teeth

#7 Post by Robot Teeth »

I am a 31 year old guy, and I had my first adjustment a couple weeks ago. When the assistant was putting the ligatures on my front bottom teeth, which were very sore, I had to stop her twice because it hurt so bad when she pressed on one tooth in particular. The first time she did it, my legs came up out of the chair and I reached for her hand to pull it away. I don't like her. I don't think she likes me either.

LoveOrtho

#8 Post by LoveOrtho »

To be honest, I have a very very high pain tolerance so I have never whimpered or made any noise during adjustments, but there are plenty of times that were close. Last appointment, I had IPR done and I totally felt like a whimp cuz I was so so nervous that the ortho had to calm me down. Hey, not a lot of people would stay calm with tooth powder everywhere and the scent of burning teeth... Don't feel embarrased, it happens to us all!

LoveOrtho
Braced since September 25th 2009!
Deband date: February 7th 2012
Getting retainer: February 9th 2012

klobird

#9 Post by klobird »

Remember--we pay them!! They should care what we think of them!! (Not whether or not they think we are wimps...)

I did kind of let out a groan like yeowwww when I had my 1st adjustment. She had to push on a tooth as hard as she could to do whatever it was she was doing.. I bet they have seen everything! REALLY!!

Robot--you made me laugh--I don't like the assistant who hurt me either, and I don't think she likes me either--I'd like to get up and belt her one in the mouth the next time she does that. But I want to run the other way when I see her anyway--like "please, please, please don't be the one to call my name to come back!!!"

So---to answer your question--you are not a wimp--you have the right to kick and scream--in fact, that might even be fun sometime--just to scare the tar out of them!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ArchWired28

#10 Post by ArchWired28 »

klobird wrote:Remember--we pay them!! They should care what we think of them!! (Not whether or not they think we are wimps...)
Exactly!
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

peanuts

#11 Post by peanuts »

thanks for everyone's answers. a few of these really made me smile, they're hilarious. im thinking of having a stiff drink with my painkillers before i go next time, because i literally cant get the feeling out of my head of how painful the last adjustment was!! ahhh well, at least now i know im not the only one :D

Huggypillow

#12 Post by Huggypillow »

im 29 and i screeeeem in my heah like a banchie,, my ortho is great he goes left, right,left ,right to help reduce pain on my teeth. I think having the ligs put on is the worst.

i got a power chain with ligs over the top and boy did that hurt. I neally pooped my pants i was tensing so badly.

Junsui

#13 Post by Junsui »

My first adjustment is next month... boy am I scared now... :(

rhuj

#14 Post by rhuj »

I do! And I'm in the room with my teenage daughter who never makes a noise when hers are done lol :?

kennyandrew85

#15 Post by kennyandrew85 »

I'm a bloke who has quite a high tolerance of pain but I have been close to making a noise during an adjustment when the power chain went on for the first time to close a gap in my front teeth.

Embarassingly I was trembling before I had my teeth extracted, thinking it was going to be like ripping my arm off. The following 3 were easy but I was certainly scared.

I feared the dentist before, now nothing scares me.
:-+
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.