Are Braces supposed to feel like Razors in my mouth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracedSurgeryStudent

Are Braces supposed to feel like Razors in my mouth?

#1 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Sometimes every now and again my braces with bother me, they will rub my mouth and scartpe it like a cheese grader making mozerella cheese out of the inside of my lip. Is that normal for braces (esp Damon) to feel like that inside my mouth?
Jenn Medeiros

kennyandrew85

Re: Are Braces supposed to feel like Razors in my mouth?

#2 Post by kennyandrew85 »

depends on the shape of the bracket, my top ceramic brackets scratch my lips quite a bit because they are more square edges, but the metal lowers just slide nice and easy.

Never had skin cut up though, only on the inside of my cheeks where the wire pokes.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

kitsune

#3 Post by kitsune »

This happens to me alllllll the time, with both my ceramic uppers and metal lowers (it does tend to be worse with the ceramics though). Some people have more sensitve mouths than others I guess! At least that's what I keep telling myself. :?

hypocrite opportunist

#4 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

When you run your finger across the brackets that are giving you trouble, are they sharp/pointy? I ask, b/c I have the same type of brackets as you, and a few months ago there was one in particular that kept roughing up my lip and felt sharp- well, turns out the bracket "door" wasn't closed all the way, and that's why it hurt. By the time I realized it and called the office, that tooth had already moved, and they had to start over moving it back into place. Plus, it hurt like hell when they put the wire back in!
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

crooked rory

#5 Post by crooked rory »

I have one bracket that cuts up my tongue, but that is because the tooth is so far back and my ortho still does not have enough room to pull it foreward. The brackets are pretty sharp when there are no ligs on them.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#6 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

no they feel ok rubbnig my fingers across it. One time they did leave a bracket open but i closed it. Damon braces seem especially sharp for some reason.
Jenn Medeiros

TMJJill

#7 Post by TMJJill »

It's been 6 months and I haven't had any problems like that at all. I just get some irritation from the hooks on my last lower molars.
I did go through a period where I was having tons of wire problems though.

I'm in Damon Clears on top and have metal Damons on my lower molars... still working towards being ready to get the rest bracketed.

It really does seem to be an individual thing. :?

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

BracedSurgeryStudent

#8 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

TMJJill I think you're right I know some people who didnt have that feeling at all. Others it was all the time.
Jenn Medeiros

Rusty'sMom

#9 Post by Rusty'sMom »

Razors?? YES! Right now I have power thread and wire ties on my bottom metal braces and they are tearing me up!!! I have been plastering wax right across the bottom front and it does help, but looks pretty ridiculous. When the ligs are elastics, I have not had any problem, but they couldn't fit them over the power thread that was put on at my last adjustment. I will be suffering with this for another 4 weeks until my next adjustment. The wire ties seem to move a bit with brushing and flossing, so the poking is constantly changing. I feel your pain!
[Image
[/url]]

[Image
[/url]]

Grace123

#10 Post by Grace123 »

So sorry for you because I know how you feel. I've had my braces on about ten days and although there is slight improvement, mostly I feel like there is an entire village constructed in my mouth and the villagers are having sword fights. Thank you for your post. My ortho office told me I'd have a "couple of sore days" until the inside of my mouth toughens up but it's not happened yet. Glad we have this network of support and info! I have no advice but hope you feel better soon.

DorkieDiva

#11 Post by DorkieDiva »

I have several wire ties on the bottom and they tear my mouth up at random moments between adjustments. Some days I'm fine and others I need wax 3-4 days in a row. My hooks on the top and bottom sometimes annoy me as well. I try to stay positive about it though and tell myself it means that my teeth are moving.

badbites

#12 Post by badbites »

I don't have brackets yet, but the buccal tubes and hooks that are connected to my upper appliance's molar bands (for when the braces go on) have been ripping away at my cheek since my appliance went in three days ago. Sometimes, when my cheeks move over the hooks, I can feel the hooks actually hang up in my cheek, accompanied by the requisite sharp pain. I tried wax, but had a hard time getting it to stay in place. I'm hoping my cheek toughens up soon...although I get to repeat this experience yet again when the braces go on.

Sigh...par for the course I imagine.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#13 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

badbites wrote:I don't have brackets yet, but the buccal tubes and hooks that are connected to my upper appliance's molar bands (for when the braces go on) have been ripping away at my cheek since my appliance went in three days ago. Sometimes, when my cheeks move over the hooks, I can feel the hooks actually hang up in my cheek, accompanied by the requisite sharp pain. I tried wax, but had a hard time getting it to stay in place. I'm hoping my cheek toughens up soon...although I get to repeat this experience yet again when the braces go on.

what appliance do you have?
Jenn Medeiros

badbites

#14 Post by badbites »

BracedSurgeryStudent wrote:
badbites wrote:I don't have brackets yet, but the buccal tubes and hooks that are connected to my upper appliance's molar bands (for when the braces go on) have been ripping away at my cheek since my appliance went in three days ago. Sometimes, when my cheeks move over the hooks, I can feel the hooks actually hang up in my cheek, accompanied by the requisite sharp pain. I tried wax, but had a hard time getting it to stay in place. I'm hoping my cheek toughens up soon...although I get to repeat this experience yet again when the braces go on.

Upper arch expander

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=41750

badbites

#15 Post by badbites »

BracedSurgeryStudent wrote:

Upper arch expander

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=41750