fixed brace adjustments and....whimpering

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SueAsh5

Re: fixed brace adjustments and....whimpering

#16 Post by SueAsh5 »

55 yrs. old and been through loads of surgery, dental and other and even hubby says I have a high tolerance for pain but I DO groan and make sounds while my ortho rips away at my teeth. He just say "no mercy", smiles and keeps going. Taking a couple ibuprofen before adjustments helps some, even before elastic changes.

kellyb

#17 Post by kellyb »

you guys are cracking me up :-* and i have an adjustment plus fitting of my uppers later today :shock:
so far i have been lucky though, i must have a high pain treshold.

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

Sita

#18 Post by Sita »

Do the stories in this thread make anyone else think of Steve Martins Dentist character in Little Shop of Horrors?

"You'll be a dentist
You have a talent for causing things pain
Son, be a dentist
People will pay you to be inhumane ..."

My first adjustment is not until May but I am genuinely scared now. At least now I have a better idea of what to expect. :-)

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

wildpig

#19 Post by wildpig »

Had my first adjustment a wk ago. there was some discomfort but nothing compared to the intial visit getting them on. The retractors from that visit put a few pressure spots in my mouth, along with the subsequent sores from brackets. This time around, no retractor was used. Everything went quicker. A few new sores developed in the cheeks but nothing compared to first time.

just take some pain med before adjustment.

newbrace24

#20 Post by newbrace24 »

I have my first adjustment in 4 weeks. Now I am terrified!